Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3727 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 12:39 PM by Carol Kemp 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2012 5:38 AM

San Diego Women's Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the San Diego Women's Half Marathon below

• MeliaFuller Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    1. Jul 28, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: San Diego Women's Half Marathon Reviews

I just got this bizarre rambling email that starts mid-sentence ( see below).

Who are these organizers?

"race-both stemming from our introductory rate of $20 (which was encouraged by our Race Reg. Outlet to promote the race)

• chicmomsd Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    2. Aug 11, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to Guest )

I did not know that USA did Half Marathons, so I am doing this one.I did the 10K they had in No CA and it was a really fun run. The only downfall was the weather. The group who put on the event, who I assume are the same as this staff, were really personable and easygoing, and I think one of them is from the area where the race took place so they had the P P/U at a Pub/Running Store. Everyone seemed happy so hopefully this one will be the same.

• runnincasey Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 12, 2012
    3. Aug 12, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to Guest )

I am signing up for this half-a lot of my friends are running in this and during my friend's Bachelorette Party in June we ran their 5/10K. I never heard anything about a rambling email from my friends, haha. They werent any problems with the race in June. They gave us a lot of fun things for our runner's bag and had a good DJ at the park. hope this is a good course. It's by the beach so I guess that will be a plus.

• Cheryl67544 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    4. Sep 6, 2012 7:53 PM (in response to Guest )

USA Women's Half Marathon had a Facebook page up as of Monday but now when I try to find their page it's gone.  The last message I received from them was that they would be sending out emails this week to all participants regarding packet pick up.  Still no packet pick up email and haven't heard back from them when I sent them an email through their website.  I also received that rambling email several weeks ago and was confused as to why I received it.  Now I'm getting a little concerned because they seemed to have closed their Facebook page. 

• WalkWalkRun Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 1, 2011
    5. Sep 8, 2012 12:37 AM (in response to Guest )

Race was cancelled without a clear explanation.  Two stars assuming I get my refund in a reasonable amount of time.

The cancellation email:

Thank you to all who registered for this race.  We regret to inform you that this race is being cancelled, and if there are any questions regarding the circumstances, you may email our PR Representative listed on our website, or contact the city of Imperial Beach-though we ask that you not bombard them with phone calls, as they have tried to make this race happen as much as we did.  To say that their city plans and pending construction were major reasons for our decision may sound repititive, but we would in fact have had to make further course changes which we were told of only recently, which would have resulted in further Race Day issues/complaints. 

We have never experienced this type of planning experience before, and it seems we have been traveling against the wind since day #1, and it also seems that maybe San Diego being a very saturated race market, we also received a lot of incoming messages in all forms that lead us to believe that other cities may be a better fit.  Aside from being a business, we really wanted to bond with and get to know our clientele, and we are sorry again for the cancellation.

If you requested your bib to be mailed, you were not charged, and we are going to process all refunds as quickly and timely as possible. I believe on the date of our race, there are other races taking place in San Diego, so we understand the amount of training these events entail, and truly hope you find one near the same date that you can participate in.

We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience, and the planning that many of you went to for this race.  This of course was not in our plans, and our team really did put in a lot of work, sweat, and time to try and make this happen. 

We again ask that you not bombard IB with questions or negativity, and while we understand many of you will be upset at the cancellation, please refrain from writing hateful messages.  Everyone will receive a refund and again, we will process them as soon as possible. Thank You, USA WHM

• StephRunsLA Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    6. Sep 11, 2012 2:30 AM (in response to Guest )

I greatly respect the amount of work involved in putting on a race (big or small), especially when it's for charity. I know it's not an easy job, especially for organizers, and the tireless efforts of volunteers deserve every bit of thanks.  Even in the planning process, I know that asking California city official to close a road for three hours is like asking permission to unleash a tyrannasaurus. Totally get that. I'm the last to complain about delayed results, a line for the bathroom, or so-so snacks (just appreciate the experience and what you get, right?)

With that said, this is my SECOND San Diego-area half marathon to be cancelled this year (the Vista Half was pushed to February). I am perplexed by how this is suddenly normal. Of course it was not an easy decision, but I also did not appreciate the e-mail suggesting that the organization knew that the event was doomed from the start! I will give them the benefit of the doubt that the refund will arrive but I would have rather raced. And a satuated race market? Without intending any offense, a half marathon and a "fun run" are not in the same race market. I think both San Diego & Los Angeles have maybe 5 closed-course half marathons tops this fall.  I have full marathons on Oct. 14 and Nov. 10 and even though my training is on schedule, I will have zero half marathons to use as "practice races" thanks to race cancellations and the very skeleton offerings for races in SoCal this fall.

Apologies for the negativity, and maybe nobody agrees with me, but there is definitely no issue of "saturation" in our area-if you have a distance race with a great cause, people will run!

• Washgirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    7. Sep 18, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to Guest )

How do you give a zero.   They send an email on the 7th saying it was cancelled and blamed it on Imperial Beach city hall and turns out they never filed the proper paper work or anything so it was cancelled.   Get an email today saying most the refunds were processed.  Nobody I know has been refunded.   Las Vegas also had permit issues so they moved the run to a free public bike path.   Ran out of water and food.   "unique" medal was a freakin dog tag.   NOT UNIQUE my children have those from being in the service.   And yes they were the same quaility as the Army LOL   

• radiobear25 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 10, 2009
    8. Sep 22, 2012 3:10 PM (in response to Guest )

Horrible organization, they emailed everyone two weeks before the event that it had been canceled with no explanation.  Over two weeks later and I have yet to receive a refund and am not getting a response.

• abest99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2007
    9. Oct 11, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to Guest )
    San Diego Women's Half Marathon Reviews

Zero stars.  I also have yet to receive an email response from them after inquiring as to when we should expect to receive a refund after the race was unexpectedly cancelled.  The email cancellation was unprofessional and full of incorrect grammar.  This is not what I expect from a business and I certainly do not recommend their races to anyone.

• heatherbroach Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    10. Oct 14, 2012 12:25 PM (in response to Guest )

At first I was excited for a way to run a half marathon for the $20 that USA Women's Half quoted. I heard about the race from a friend. I always want to support small business and go out of my way to participate in things that are not part of the money making giants (eg. Rock n Roll). I paid the $20 through Active on 7/1/2012. During the time that the race was 'still on', I received a few emails from the director (lots of incoherent ramblings, typing errors, terrible grammar, and immature accusations to whom I am unsure) commenting on the trouble involved in putting on the race (bad publicity much?). On September 7, 2012 I received an email (as did everyone else) stating that the race was cancelled and "Everyone will receive a refund and again, we will process them as soon as possible. Thank You, USA WHM". It is now 5 weeks later. I have yet to receive a response from the director, Active, or receive the refund to my account or in the mail. I have never in my life been aware of so much disarray, poor business handling skills, immature rambling emails blasted to all participants, and just overall poor business practice. Putting on races is a very difficult task, YES. Let this be a lesson USA Women's Half, go back to organizing tea parties and 'book clubs' and leave the real business for the big fish. Also, send me the refund before you encounter a bigger issue than addressing your inability to form complete and coherent sentences.

P.S. My rating is actually no stars, but Active won't let me post this with out giving you jerks at least one star.

• jborder80 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 5, 2011
    11. Oct 15, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to Guest )

HOw do you give negative stars, they don't derserve any.

This is a horrible group with horrible planning. At this point it seems that no one has recieved a refund for the race so we must have funded another race. Funny how they had phone numbers up on the website following their "cancellation" and now you can't get a responce from anyone and when you do its BS and lies.

Never going to run with them, even if it were free. They are out to rob people, not put on a fun race.

• vanessa homyak Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    12. Nov 4, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to Guest )

It's been almost 2 months since they cancelled this race. No refund sent but they are planning a new event in January. The race in Vegas was a joke. The necklace was a cheap dog tag that was pink. Yes they had 2 aide stations on a 2 loop run course. It's like they ran to the grocery store that morning. Packaged water with ice in top. Good thing it was only 88 degrees that day. Had the bar not been there for the after party their would not have been a bathroom. Oh and it was not in Vegas it was in the outskirts of Summerlin. The goodie bag, they want it a secret because it was a 0.10 swirly straw from party city with a 0.25 pair of 80's fashion sunglasses. The cotton shirt was clearly where our entry fees went. Do yourself a favor and don't sign up for any race they offer. The aide was no more than you'd carry on a training run.

• Cristismom Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    13. Dec 6, 2012 1:29 PM (in response to Guest )

I have sent them numerous emails inquiring about the refund they promised, and I still have not received it. -1000 stars for these thieves. I am getting very impatient with them. They don't return emails or anything. And they have another event on January 13th. I am sure they will cancel that one too and not give refunds. Very bad company, they should be reported to the BBB or something. VERY BAD Since I can't post this without a rating, I am giving it 1 star, but taking it back.

• speshlist Rookie 1 posts since
    May 11, 2008
    14. Dec 19, 2012 9:35 PM (in response to Guest )

I too did not receive a refund from them.  Not okay!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...