Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1041 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2012 5:43 AM by Rich in NH RSS
brndog Expert 50 posts since
Jun 14, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 7, 2012 6:28 PM

What happened?

This group used to have a number of participatants.  Where did everyone go?  I remember DH and Rich from a few years back.

Mike in Minneapolis

Mike in Minneapolis

• StillTheKenyan Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 9, 2011
    1. Sep 7, 2012 8:09 PM (in response to brndog)
    What happened?

Do not post in this forum.  Active bought the site out and banned everybody.  The old crew headed here.... http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?action=forum

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 8, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to StillTheKenyan)
    Re: What happened?

StillTheKenyan wrote:

Do not post in this forum.  Active bought the site out and banned everybody.

?

They didn't ban me, or Rich, or Ray, or apparently you.

Anybody who wants to can post here.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Sep 8, 2012 4:56 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Mike... 

I've been posting here for a couple of weeks now in the hopes of resurrecting this forum.  I think some of the old members check in from time to time (like me) and it'd be nice if we could grab them on their way by. (like you)

I can't speak for D.H., but suspect he's thinking along the same lines. 

We've got a 3rd guy in Ray who's just started adding his posts, so why not stick around.   And I remember you btw...

StillTheKenyan is right about Active buying this site, but people left out of frustration, the new forum software was so slow, rather than being banned. I clicked on his link and didn't see a familiar name...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    4. Sep 8, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to brndog)

I rarely read this forum because it is so slow.  I like the people, as it is a very supportive community, but runnersworld is generally easier to read (though it has its slowdays too.)

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    6. Sep 10, 2012 5:42 PM (in response to brndog)
    What happened?

Mike,

I find the server to be slow sometimes, but these days I am slow, too.

No reason you can't run a marathon at age 60. Right now Rich is tapering for a marathon that is two weeks away (I believe).

My own aspirations do not go beyond 5Ks. I am a low-mileage guy.

By the way, if you liked Born to Run, you might also like Running with the Buffalos. I re-read it in July and it was just as good the second time around. (The editing is not high-quality but that's what you get with small presses. These days I find surprising errors even in books from big publishing houses.)

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Dec 10, 2007
    7. Sep 10, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to brndog)
    What happened?

Yeah Mike, I just started tapering for the marathon I'm running September 30th.  I got a little carried away with mileage trying to get good enough to BQ, but managed to get away with it.

Now if I can catch a break with the weather on race day and run a smart race, there's a SLIGHT chance I'll run fast enough to get in, we'll see.

For the most part, this site works fine for me...

Dec 10, 2007
    9. Sep 11, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to brndog)

Mike, I'm running the Clarence Demar marathon here in NH.  It's a small marathon with roughly 300 runners most years, but a new race director's taken over and says the race will sell out at 600 this year.

I read a while ago that increasing your mileage to 70 a week would give you a big fitness boost, so targeted that as my max mileage while training for this race.  I got there, but this is by far the toughest training I've done.

And the increase in mileage while continuing with tempo runs and speedwork has definitely made me a stronger runner.  And it's more about stamina than speed, I've always been able to run fast enough to qualify for Boston, I've just never been able to hold the pace for 26.2 miles...lol

Anyway, I'm excited about my chances.  With a good taper, a little luck and a smart race, it's gonna be close...lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points