Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1154 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 6:47 PM by PineGroveDave
Urbster Legend 760 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 8, 2012 6:56 PM

What is the best player to buy?

I have started doing a lot of Halfs and sometimes there is water from friendly spprinklers or I will pour water on me at the stops.   My I- pod nano is not happy with that so I wonder what is the best player to use that can handle my sweat or rain and not breakdown \.  I am on player number 3 and I gotta get something better.   Are any water proof?

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Sep 9, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to Urbster)

I have been using an Ipod classic for a long long time, I sweat a lot, I have been sprayed, sprinkled and rained on more than a couple of times and it still works like the first day. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a new one (this one is about to turn 9 years old!) but the fact is that this one just works great.

Maybe the problem is the case, how do you carry it? I carry it in a soft armband that I fasten to my forearm, it absorves most of the sweat and/or rain, so maybe that is the secret. By the way, I also used to own one ipod shuffle but it died on me after not-so-many uses.

Hope this helps

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• feetdominatingpavement Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 3, 2011
    2. Sep 20, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to Urbster)

It's not so much about the player as how you carry it. For example, I have an iPhone that I use, as well as a iPod shuffle. I use the shuffle on days when it might rain (hey, I'd only lose $40 instead of $200!!) but I do two things to protect it - I put it into two ziplock bags, and then stick it inside my water-resistant SpiBelt. I did this for a 10k race when I ran in the rain and my player survived. My headphones however were not so lucky........

L Finch

Find me at Feet Dominating Pavement... remember we have Runner's Bloghops on Fridays!

• PineGroveDave Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3. Nov 14, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to Urbster)

I've been running w/ a Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. 50 bucks at tigerdirect.com. Great little MP3 player and you can get a armband and rubber protective sleeve on ebay for 10 bucks. HTH

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points