Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4298 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 12:53 PM by SMARIETTA RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • jrwlostit Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 5, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 5, 2012 4:13 PM (in response to disneygirl125)
    w1d1...does it really get easier??

I just completed W5D3 (20 minute run) last night.   W1D1 was hard.....really really hard.  The night that I did W1D1, the thought that I would ever be able to complete W5D3 was overwhelming.  I stuck with it through a bad blister, humidity and heat.  I was determined to not give in to the idea of quitting.   I can promise you.....if you do the plan as it is, pace yourself, and don't give up,  you will grow stronger and your body will respond.  At least 50% of it is mental.  I headed out last night with friends praying and was determined to get the 20 minutes completed.  Two minutes in,  I honestly thought I would not make it.  Then, 6 minutes in it started to rain...hard.   Soon, my interval app announced that 10 minutes had gone by.  Once I realized I was halfway there, the last 10 minutes were easier.  Hang in there!

• SuperTech14 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    16. Sep 9, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to jrwlostit)

Wow I have the exact same feeling! I completed W5D3 this morning. I told myself I couldn't look at the app while I was running, but I broke down and looked and only had 2 1/2 mins left-I was shocked. I HATED W1D1, thought there was no way I was ever going to run past 1 minute, but look where we are! Kudos to us-haha! I agree-take your time, follow the program, repeat if you feel like you need to and it will happen. I promise-if I can do it, anyone can!

Monica

Started C25K July 14, 2012

Upcoming 5K's:

World's Largest Corn Maze - Oct 14, 2012

Run Like Hell - Oct 25th, 2012

• gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 21, 2012
    17. Sep 10, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to disneygirl125)

Well it's a little of both easier but hard too, the more your body will adapt the litttle more you will be able to go, I am W5d1 and believe me there are days I go backwards like Sat. I did 4 min. run/4 min walk alternating I don't always go by the schedule I try to push myself as much as I can but I went slower Sat. because I felt I wasn't making any progress and I am in Central FL very humid.  It is more mental than anything I have found there are some days you are all for it and some days not and then those days you might be surprised for example I went out this morning thinking I probably would only be walking more than anything- I had a knot in my back from lifting weights and before I knew it I ran almost a mile and 1/4 without stopping and then walked maybe 3 min. and ran the rest (3.1 miles), I surprised myself - we'll see what happens in couple days when I go again. But you are up and at it!! I found this website has helped alot I don't feel so alone and their are others out there who share my joys and set backs,  so don't give up take your time before you know it you will be giving the greatest advise for those sitting in your shoes weeks from now.... we are all cheering you on!!!  go go go!!!!!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    18. Sep 10, 2012 12:53 PM (in response to gogolegs)

folks, I can tell you that it ABSOLUTELY gets easier-a  LOT easier.

Here is my back story- I did the C25K in october 2009-went on,over time to do several 5k's,10 ks and in 2010 a Half marathon- I ran pretty consistently untill  January 2012 when  a kidney stone situation put me out of commision  for 3 months

I  am 50- a pretty big guy and I work an active construction trade-----so coming back from the kidney situation  I decided to conserve my energy and make sure I could work---- so I didn't run for  8 months or so

I am redoing the C25k---and I am doing it with absolute confidence  because I know it works.

Please believe me- it DOES get easier- both physically and mentally.

I would say about 80% of it is mental because what you are really doing is learning to controll yourself-to PACE yourself- to push when you need to----but more importantly to RESTRAIN yourself when you need to.

most of you won't know it yet- but most of the physical issues you may be struggling with will be greatly eased is you slow down just a bit.-speed will come later.

any time you are trying to achieve a new distance-slow down!--after you have run that distance a few times you can bring the pace up----- but at first just slow down and run the distance.

some of you may be looking at that first 20 minute run with a bit of dread-just slow down a bit and run it-it will be OK

in fairness- I really didn't have any problem my first time with the C25K------- but a few weeks later I was trying to  hit 4 miles for the first time on an unfamiliar trail. I pushed to hard and ended up giving up late in the run and walking.  I rounded a bend on the trail and realized I had quit about 200 yards from the end and man was I mad at my self.

48 hours later I went back and ran the same 4 miles on the same trail---and I CRUSHED it, because I absolutely knew I could do it.

just take your time and work the program as designed. A few weeks from now you will be able to run 3 or 4 or 5 miles at a clip-at any time!--a few months from now you may find that you are looking forward to that sundays long run which is 10 miles and you will laugh at yourself for ever dreading ANY week during the C25K

Best wishes,

stephen

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...