Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676752 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 327 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,885. Sep 8, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to Webpro11)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Awesome, amazing work everyone! I will catch up tomorrow.

They said I could walk so I hiked, 10 mi. in 6 hr. Wore my new Nathan hydration vest. Very comfy and it didn't move. Not sure how walking will feel tomorrowand if it is, I'll hit the gym.

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,886. Sep 9, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to mkayc)

hey all, quick race reports:

Terranss, a friend and I finished our first Mt Baldy Run to the To Top (http://run2top.com)!  Terranss completed in 1hr47, and I in 2hr00. I shaved 11min from my practice run a few weeks ago. I felt great; i fueld well and conserved my gatorade (i typ only ran w water) and only stopped when the steep parts starting hitting us. The winner finished in 1hr08min; wow!  The ski lift operators decided to offer free rides down versus the $10 advertised so that was a welcome treat!

Also yesterday i successfully dragged my whole family to a local 5k; i did 10k; 180 people only. It's also a tough one, as the first part is downhill then back up to the finish. My oldest boy did well, but my wife and two younger ones decided to walk most of it (I guess i'll accept that )  I did well on the 10k, 3miles down 3miles up. We had a good time especially with a $3 pancake breakfast.  We left soon after that, as we're packing and moving a couple miles (what a drag; who doesnt hate moving??)  Well, later at home i found out i came in 12th and 1st in my age group!!  yay for me, but i missed receving my first age group medal. boo! bummer   finished in 54:49.  I sprinted at the end but avoided passing a guy in the last 10 feet, cuz i felt that wasn't cool.

cheers 

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,887. Sep 9, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to AlfNiner)

MaryKay - that is some hike!  I hope you're not feeling it too badly tomorrow. 

AlfNiner - 11 minutes off your practice run is awesome!  Say "hi" and congrats on the race to Terranss (I hope his wife is doing ok).  How nice that the whole family went to the 5k/10k.  Great finish,  but,more importantly, great sportsmanship.

Long run report - 11.5 miles.  Miles 3-9 were pretty strong.  Legs got a little tired around mile 9 to 9.5 or so, but I pushed through and felt pretty darn good at the end.  I took walk/water breaks every 2 miles until mile 9 and then I took a walk/water break at miles 9 and 10.  I tried Hammer gels - much better texture than GU - and the chocolate was mmmmm.  I still can't believe I ran 11.5 miles.  Big sappy grin on  my face

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,888. Sep 9, 2012 10:55 AM (in response to Debm2011)

mkayc - so u hurt your hamstring, dr says you can walk, and you hiked 10miles? wow that is huge! i hope you're doing well today. nice job.

debm - thanks. and awesome job pushing out 11.5miles! 

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,889. Sep 9, 2012 11:17 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Chicago Half Marathon preliminary results: 2 hours 17 minutes 53 seconds.  Fantastic day for a race.  Cool morning (65?)  Puffy clouds - no rain.

I have yet to participate in Bike The Drive, but today (as with the Soldier Field 10) I have run parts of it.  I can report that most of the pavement north of 57th street is nice and soopth. 

A race like this is a treat for running on (and falling over) uneven sidewalks.

I have no experience in road construction, but it seems that asphalt cracks at the top of a street's crown.

(The stuff ya notice when you're not in a car!)

Those transverse cracks made me nervous, so I stayed away from them.

Favorite sign seen on the sidelines: RUN?  I THOUGHT YOU SAID RUN

Also: RUN AS IF YOU ARE BEING CHASED BY CLOWN

(New Balance and Nike are making minimalist slap shoes?)

Although I would concede that clowns run faster than zombies.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,890. Sep 9, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to degregorius)

I did it! I ran 13 miles and felt pretty darn good at the finish, like I could have done just a little bit more. It feels awesome to have that "under my belt"! One more time next Sunday...then a 5K with my son and then I taper. Half Marathon is Sept. 30 in Maine. My Amphipod belt and bottles worked out beautifully as did my Hammer Gels + Heed. Hubby checked up on me at about mile 8 and picked up the tired dog. It was spectacular weather and my beautiful Berkshire hills were stunning and peaceful to run through. Yay!

Debm2011 That a girl! good to hear the sleep helped. AND...YAY Whoot, bravo. Way to go, girl! Glad you like those Hammer gels...they're my fav too.

jmsab23 Thanks, Jon! So super about your daughter's race! I'm really excited to run with my teenage son in a few weeks. It's such a dream of mine to share this activity with family. Bummer about the upset stomach, though.

Webpro11 Nice work and on a cruise too! 26 miles!? A marathon coming up?

chell730 Congrats on that amazing 5 K results! Good for you. I'm so proud of you.

Old Coyote Very nice 20 miler! That is so impressive...and you're a good hubby too!

linuscatch Thanks! Nice about you and DW sharing running. My half marathon is Sept. 30 in Portland Me. (where hubby and I met and where we are also going to celebrate our 25th anniversary) He will be cheering me on (he is not a runner)

NHLA "1st place by leg 20" <~ Outstanding! SO SO proud of you!! Great job.

mkayc Good to hear you were able to hike! Heal up soon.

AlfNiner  Good stuff!! So nice you wrangled the whole family in, too.

degregorius Wow! Just, wow.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Nov 27, 2010
    3,891. Sep 9, 2012 12:17 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Correction

The sign read: RUN?  I THOUGHT YOU SAID RUM

Nov 27, 2010
    3,892. Sep 9, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea:  Well done!  Don't know how I'd do on hills.  Chicago's so flat the Wisconsinites call us "Flatlanders."

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,893. Sep 9, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

So many of you getting it done this weekend. You are all phenominal!!

NHLA - AmAzing times on your legs!! Yeah, looks better than billy goat tough from here. Can't imagine any part of that race being easy at 10 pm. It must have been an exhilirating experience to finish 9th on Saturday. "Ran into the girl who mooned me last year but did not recognize her till she turned around." ?? Guess she was running backwards?

Degregorious - 2 hours 17 minutes 53 seconds!! That must have felt great!! sounds like a wonderful day for a race and your report reminded me of Cleveland. I was thinking about the city engineers the whole way; they invited thousands here to inspect these roads and didn't think it might be a good idea to clean up the potholes and snow damage from 1995? Concrete jungle challenges.

Congrats AlfNiner on both of your races! Both sounded like a lot of fun along with the great run times! About that passing thing, I get passed at the end all the time and don't hold against the guy (and so far it's only been guys) but I know what you mean about feeling it might not be fair. Consider that you have no idea where the person started and if you started later, you likely passed him or her before you finished. Good luck with your move. Yeah, my hike was an accomplishment but your races were awesome, awesome!

Jmsab, great race for you and your daughter, especially since you weren't feeling well. It's amazing what our bodies can do. Glad it was good weather. 

Mel, awesome 13 m run!! You are so ready for your HM!! That must feel good. Love that you felt you could have done more and you outran the dog! Enjoy that family 5k!

Deb, You DID It!! 11.5 is fantastic and 13.1 is right behind. My fav Hammer gels are Hickleberry, Tropical and Vanilla but they are milder than the Cholcolate. I like that they aren't as sweet as GU.

Chell, great strides! You are getting so fast! You are beasting this running thing. Take care to protect.

Tony, welcome back. Cruise sounds like it was great!

OC - 20 mi. Wow!! And that bounce back trip to the mall, I don't know how you did it. Had it been me, my feet would have been up and my butt down for the rest of the day.

LInus, it looks like you are training for a full and not a half with those runs. You are so ready! Relax and enjoy so you can protect your gains. 

I'm looking into "dry needling" and stretching and I have a stick I'm using to roll the legs over. I was lost when I first heard I had to stop running bc all I could imagine was either resting and giving up on the 9/29 run or pushing to keep training for 9/29 and risk messing up the later races. Scott suggested I make no decision, set a date, focus on recovery work until then and reaccess whether I can run. So that's what I'm doing until Thursday. Wish I'd thought of it, though.

Forgot to mention, saw two does, two daddy longlegs and a box turtle on hike (bc someone pointed them out). Ya, I know it's not much in comparison but it's a start.

Run strong and fierce and enjoy!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,894. Sep 9, 2012 4:53 PM (in response to mkayc)

We were  waiting at exchange 31 and I ask her to turn around I think I know you. never forget a good hind end. This could have gone very wrong but I was right. Everybody on her team hit the ground laughing.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,895. Sep 9, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

The best part of my week.

dolphin3.JPG

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,896. Sep 9, 2012 8:56 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

First Race. First Half. 2:26

I obtained my original goal of getting a 13.1 sticker. I think I'm going to take a week off and rest my feet.

Webpro. Nice dolphin photo!

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    3,897. Sep 10, 2012 3:27 AM (in response to quikyerp)

Congrats igotwings!

love the photo webpro!

I got in a short 2 miler this morning in 24:18.  I am coming down with a sinus infection. I think it's from the race I did on Saturday and the fires they had going in the campground we had to run through.  Hopefully it moves out of my system quickly.  I ran through my last one in January as well. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!!!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,898. Sep 10, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

igotwings - Congratulations! You deserve two weeks off now. Seriously, I'd take a week off from running, and nothing but easy threes the next week. Maybe a fiver.

degregorius - Good half! 

webpro - thanks for the good word

linus - You're gonna kill that half. We were about even in the 10k this spring, but I think you'd mop the floor with me now! Your training's been monster.

marykay - glad you can hike.

bigslade - where you at?

melodylea - webpro and NRDgirl are both doing the Chicago Marathon as their first, just 2 weeks before MY first. I'm glad I'm not alone in this insanity.

Easy three this morning. About 52 degrees. I actually wore a thin beanie under my headlamp.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,899. Sep 10, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Amazing runs everyone, holy cow!!  Congratulations to you all, you're all awe-inspiring!!  I am proud to associate with you all!!!       Webpro, nice photo too

I will second in on MelodyLea, I also ran 13.1 this weekend ahead of my first half-marathon!!  I went online and printed the race map for the Oshkosh Half Marathon, which passes a mere 6 blocks from my house.  So I walked out to that intersection then ran the race, basically.  I finished in 2:52:11, so now I have a solid goal time for my actual race.  There was a very nice stretch on the Wiowash multi-use trail which I have never run before.  It was beautiful and I will definitely be back!  I had water and some trail mix with me for fuel which did not upset my tummy like the Carb-Boom gel did the weekend before.  I just felt better all-around this weekend vs last even though the distance was greater.  Weather was nice and cool with bright sunshine and low humidity, aaaahh!

I need to taper starting next weekend though because my race is a week ahead of Melody's, so the plan is to do 6 miles next Sunday and take it easy the following week.  I also need to give my legs a break today, they are still tired. 

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...