Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577246 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 ... 327 Previous Next
  • BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,900. Sep 10, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to OshCat)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Congrats to all on your runs over the weekend.  I got too distracted yesterday to post after my long run.  I hit 13.1 in 2:18:36 on a new route yesterday much slower than my goal for my upcoming half, but I still have about a month so we'll see.  The first seven went really well, I finally thought I had got over my dead leg issue, but by mile nine it had reared it's ugly head. and near the end I was just absolutely dead.  The new route had more hills than my old route so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.  I wasn't happy with how it went, but I was happy it was done.  I feel great today, didn't run but I'm not sore so I'm looking forward to my run in the morning.  

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    3,901. Sep 10, 2012 10:42 AM (in response to BigSlade)

Good work! Congrats on the run and good luck on your upcoming half!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,902. Sep 10, 2012 12:53 PM (in response to NHLA)

Ahhahahaha!

Tony, I think the dolphin's smile is bigger but maybe not. Nice!

Igotwings - Congratulations on your 13.1!! Awesome time! Enjoy the glow and relax.

Chell, good luck!

OC- it was 59 here and I thought, "How could his ears be cold" but then I've never run that fast so what do I know? Hope Mrs. C didn't dye your beanie pink.

OshCat - Kudos on your 13.1!! That's a mighty nice time! You will annihilate this race, you are so ready!!

Big Slade - Great run for you, too! Sorry about the dead leg feeling. Wanna trade legs?

Well, I'm feeling bad about not coaching so I probably will go and try to walk while my ladies are running. They aren't that fast. Grrrr. It will be hard.  

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,903. Sep 10, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc Hi Mary Kay, thanks! I know you will heal up soon, be patient.

Webpro11 What an amazing shot AND experience!

igotwings That is SO cool that this was your first race, Nice job!

chell730 Oh, I hope that sinus infection does not not get you.

Old Coyote Getting chilly here too...I love it! SO excited for you and your marathon. I did run one once, 35 years ago and I really consider it a high point in my life.

OshCat Yay!! Whoot on your 13.1. Your time is great...I'm so slow, but I may also be one of the older gals here...(that's my excuse anyway) but, I'm getting there.

BigSlade Feeling good today (me too!) is a great sign, for sure.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Oct 4, 2011
    3,904. Sep 10, 2012 5:28 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

I had to change the Half Marathon that I'm participating in becasue my sweet hubby will have to drive to Virginia on the 30th in order to deal with his momther's estate. No 25th aniversary celebration for us....awe well. Life is like that sometimes. So.... NOW I'm running in this Half: http://www.fallfoliagehalf.com/ It's in Rhinebeck NY, about an hour from here. Should be lovely.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,905. Sep 10, 2012 6:27 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody-to bad on the change of plans, but sounds like you'll have a great venue to run and enjoy!

OshCat-nice job on the pre-race run.  Nice to be able to scope it out. 

Big Slade-nice pace on the long run!

Managed only 5 miles Friday and another 3.5 Sunday morning in Door County.  Way too much driving this weekend.  To top it off, on the way home from my brother's visitation Friday night a VERY large raccoon decided to tangle with DW's new convertible.  Amazing the damage a critter that small can do to a front bumper! 

I found out today that the route for next Saturdays' HM is hilly.  Quite hilly!  I will downgrade time expectations further.  But I will "get 'er done".  It is, after all, more of a trial before the FM on 10/21.  I'll be taking it easy as I prepare for this Saturday. 

Run strong and safe this week.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,906. Sep 10, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My God, guys, there's a lot to respond to, if I could hit them all!

NHLA first.......... I loved the "behind" recognition part, but your race sounds phenomenal!!!! I thought a line akin to, "Butt, haven't I seen you before?" would have been appropriate.

Melody...... I'm bummin' about your missing the Maine HM, but that's life. Maybe someday.

Alfniner....Sportsmanship?    Not cool?    Go ahead and take the guy out!!! He's in your way!! (Just kidding.) A guy did to me last year in a 5k what you did-- when I moved over to let him pass me so he could sprint to the finish line he patted me on the back and told me to go on. First I groaned to have to keep moving fast, then I thanked him after we finished.

BigSlade..... Are you hydrating/fueling enough during your long run? It's great that you finished it, though.

Webpro..... What a great shot! I've always wanted to do that.

Oshcat..... Really nice work!!!

Mkay....... Be nice to your running mates, but more importantly, to yourself.

Had time after work to do a short run outdoors before dark tonight or do a TM run indoors, so I cruised through a 5-miler on the TM. It went great. I felt fine, ramping it up to 8.5 mph for the final mile. Finished 36:20. Walked a 1/4 mile cooldown, stretched a little, and felt like I hadn't even worked out, although my shirt and towel proved otherwise.

Two different running partners this week, with two different styles. Wed. (4-miles) and Thurs. a.m. (longer run). I'll take whoever's available.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,907. Sep 11, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

So much to catch up on.  Great to read so many accomplishments.

I'm back in the swing of things after my move, and settled in to the point of comfortable.  My running schedule and motorcycle rides were the first things to be put off during the past three weeks.  But I did find/make time to run, I never went more than 5 days without getting in a 5 mile run.  Now that all of that has wound down considerably, I'm looking forward to logging some miles on my shoes.

4.5 +/- very physical trail miles at a local ski hill last night.  It was warm in the sun but nice and cool when I was in the woods under the shade of the trees.  Under the canopy of tree cover my phones GPS would lose its connections to the mother-ship, so I'm estimating 4.5 miles.  I ran for 46 minutes and a 10 minute mile on that terrain is what I used to do pretty regularly.

I'm running a 4.4 mile trail event this weekend.  I did this event last year.  It's a small event that's put on by some great people.  Looking forward to it again.

Cheers All!!!

*Now I have about 5 pages of reading to catch up on......

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,908. Sep 11, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mkayc: I thought of another trick to keep myself at an 11 minute mile pace in the beginning: take notes of all the cracks in the street that need to be filled.

On second thought, that would be a lonnng list, especially after a hard winter!

I'll go back to sightseeing.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,909. Sep 11, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to degregorius)

big slade: nice prep run for the HM.  Don't worry about your pace, except to actually control it in the first couple of miles, as the energy and excitement of the crowd will propel you forward. 

melodylea:  bummer about the HM switch but totally understandable.  The great thing about running is that you can be flexible and still accomplish your goals, especially with so many race options these days.  And hopefully the delay doesn't mess with your training.

NHLA: awesome relay report.  Congrats to you and your teammatesl...you really worked hard for this one.

jmsab:  good TM workout.  You seem to emjoy these way more than I do.

justrundan:  The hills will make you stronger!  And a pre-race "trial" will be great prep for the big day.  Which FM are you running?

webpro:  love the dolphin pic!

igotwings:  grats on your HM!  Great time!

oshcat:  grats on the 13.1 mile training run!  You will be so ready on race day!

mkayc:  How's the hammy?

coyote:  You are a wily one, trying to trick me into thinking that I am as fast as you!  But seriously, I think I finished Bolder Boulder about 4-5 minutes slower than you, and based on your reports, I think you are bout 1 minute per mile faster.  But alas, I am one year older than you so that explains everything!.  Hoping for 1:56-1:59 for the upcoming half...if only I can pace myself early.

Actually have to confess that I did not get my Sunday run in so no weekly mileage PR after all.  But that being said, over  the last 9 weeks, have gotten 30+ in all but one of those, with 36 max.

Haven't been feeling the desire or urge to run the last couple of days, but knowing that I need to finish this training plan, I was "dreading" the 'mill workout this morning.  Turns out we worries were for naught, as the extra day off must have helped me get rested up.  1 mile warmup, 2x1200@8:10(600), 4x400@7:35(200), 4x200@7:05(100), 1 mile cool down - 6.9 miles total.  Stretched and did some core afterward.

11 days to race day!  Can't wait.

Happy running to all this week.  Stay strong, and be fearless!

Oct 4, 2011
    3,910. Sep 11, 2012 10:12 AM (in response to linuscatch)

I ran a little 2.5 mile route this morning. Still sore form my Sunday 13 miler, but it felt good to get out and lossen things up though. It was a beautiful cool morning in the Berkshire Mountains!

justrundan Thanks. Yikes on the hills... Should be a good (tough) run, though. My new 1/2 marathon route is much hillier than the Maine one too...luckily I train on hills.

jmsab23 I know, bummer. Thanks. Yep, there's always next year. Nice strong run on the TM!

Snerb So good to hear you're all settled in. That woodsy run sounds lovely!

linuscatch Thanks, re: 1/2 marathon switch. I actually think it will be a plus in terms of my training schedule. I now have 2 more weeks to get a handful of 13.1 mile runs in. Good to hear you got over the slump in motivation, you must have needed a rest!

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,911. Sep 11, 2012 12:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It's been a long time since I pulled out the laptop and checked up here. I've got my HM on Sunday and I haven't really been training at all this month because of my chest pain. But the good news is my heart works fine. Had an EKG, Cardiac Stress Test and EchoCardiogram done and all the results are normal. Now I'm just waiting on the results of Yesterday's pulmunary function test. Now that I know it's not my heart, I'm definintly running (well probably walking) my HM. I can live with having to walk more to keep controll of my breathing. I may not have run much but I've been trying to stay relatively active (despite gaining 5lbs). I've been hiking the woods at a local state park with my dogs, about an hour at a time, except for the day I decided to do the full loop and ended up out for 5 hours. (only 3 of those were actually hiking, I stopped for 15 minutes every half hour in deferense to the doggies). I also climbed the north side of the lehigh gap via the Appalachian Trail with my uncle. That was crazy scary. It was more rock climbing then hiking. And I walked up Bushkill Falls with my mom. So not completely inactive. Hopefully I haven't lost all my conditioning. but either way. I'll take this race as a wash and just go for the experience. I know I'm not getting close to my goal of 2.5 hours and that's ok. I'm so excited. I can't wait.

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,912. Sep 11, 2012 1:40 PM (in response to CKLindsay)

mkayc:  wish I could swap them out!

?Melody: Thanks, it had been so long since I felt halfway good on a run I was excited!

jmsab23: I am, I carry water and gels on my long runs and I try to make sure I am well hydrated the night before.

linuscatch: Thanks, I always prefer to run in a pack and I will have to hold myself back some at the begining.  I think that was part of my problem on my LR, I actually felt good on my run so I might have came out of the gate a little too fast for that run. 

I slept in this morning as i didn't get much sleep Sunday night, so I'm looking forward to a run in the morning. 

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,913. Sep 11, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 36 min. Recovery run.

BRR results 10th across the finish line. 40th by time. (141 teams finished). 29 hrs 8:18 pace!

Great running, raceing, and climbing everybody!

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3,914. Sep 11, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

A nice 3 mile brick. I've found a decent area that should be relatively dog free but won't leave home without my mace anymore.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...