Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1519 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 11:59 AM by lifl2003 RSS
lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
Sep 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 11:18 AM

2012 Marine Corps Marathon

Hi. My name is Mike and I live on Long Island in New York.

I am running in the 2012 Marine Coprps Marathon next month. It will be my first marathon after several half marathons.

I have been training hard and cant wait for the marathon!

I was wondering who else is running the MCM 2012? Where is everyone from? Will it be your first marathon too?

Happy training!

Mike in NY

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 10, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to lifl2003)

Hi Mike,

I am it will be my 4th MCM!  It's a great race, I live in Wilmington NC.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,265 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Sep 11, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to lifl2003)
    Re: 2012 Marine Corps Marathon

The first hill starts a little before a mile and goes just past the 2 mile mark.  Not real steep but a steady climb of about 200 feet total.  There are a couple small dips at the beginning and it's slightly different between the left-hand set of lanes and the right.  This is definitely a place to curb your enthusiasm for the beginning of the race.  You can use up a lot of energy too early in the race.  There's a good downhill from just past 2 to about 3, then an on-ramp uphill approaching the Key Bridge just past 4 miles.  The second hill of note comes a little past 6.5 miles.  You run along the river, make a u-turn and go right up the hill: steeper but shorter, maybe 1/2 mile long, gradually leveling out, then a pretty nasty (short and steep) downhill before heading back to Georgetown (M Strret).  There's a bit of a downhill leaving Georgetown, just past 9 miles.  Then flat until you hit "the bridge" (14th St. Bridge) around 20 miles.  This is the usual up-slope you find approaching any large bridge.  Then flat once again, until you hit that last "little" hill at 26 miles, taking you up to the finish line.  It's really not a big hill, it just happens at a bad time.

Actually, this will be my 18th running of MCM since 1993. I missed one year when my wife was very ill and started but dnf'ed once due to injury. And I'm from Philly.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Sep 11, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len, has hit this right on the money!!!!!  Watch the 1st 5K as Len stated, and watch those two downhill's they tend to hurt my legs!   Enjoy the madness.  If you are traveling with family members plan to have them meet you at the end at the family link up spot, it's crazy at the end so you want a spot to meet for sure.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Sep 11, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to lifl2003)

Hey Mike --- welcome to the MCM family.

I currently live and work in Massachusetts -- but I have lived all over. The majority of time would be in Connecticut. I have family on the Island but we don't talk about them too much as they are Islander fans.

This year will be my 7th MCM. My first was in 1990. This will be my 2nd time on the current course. The old course used to have the first few miles circiling the Pentagon, which was nice an flat. I do not know when the change happened but I suspect the new security needed caused by the events of Sept 11, 2001 has a lot to do with the current course configuration.

Len has the course description down. Those early hills are really nothing. If you're patient and not in a hurry to bob-&-weave your way through the crowd of runners during this early part of the race you'll be up and over that first hill before you know just by the momentum of the pack.

Good luck at the race.

Jan 18, 2008
    6. Sep 11, 2012 6:19 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Most of the Pentagon area course changes happened before 9/11.  In fact the 2001 MCM passed within a couple hundred yards of the Pentagon damage.  (Yes, I was there.)  There's a picture of this on the MCM Facebook page.  The section that went behind the Capitol building was removed due to 9/11.  Even emergency vehicles were prohibited from using that street.  A lot of the course changes have been due to road construction, removing one section, Rock Creek Parkway for example, and adding others, such as the current miles 5 - 9.

Len

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    10. Sep 12, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to lifl2003)

Did you notice the footprints at the top of the steps? Right in the middle of the top step, set back a little, is a pair of foot/shoe prints cast in bronze and set into the stone.  I guess that's where he stood to do the dance.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    11. Sep 12, 2012 10:15 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

By the way, I have never seen so many weapons out in the open, seemingly locked and loaded, as I did the day of that marathon, since I was in the Army.  Humvees everywhere, machine guns mounted, multiple helicopters overhead the entire time.  It was inspiring, and maybe a touch nerve-racking to think they might become necessary.  It was a great day though, very quiet going past the damage, but being cheered by the construction workers.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...