Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2711 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 12:29 PM by crl8686
CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
Jul 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 1:59 PM

Winter coming

I know it is hard to imagine, but winter will be here before we know it.  This morning I thought I was going to freeze off something as I ran in my tek shirt and shorts because it was only 50F this morning.  I felt fine once I warmed up, but it got me thinking.  What do all of you do in the winter?  I plan on getting some long sleeve running shirts and some sweatpants to run in, but what about when it is 5F outside?  How do you all manage when it is slick out there?  I run between 3-4 miles three times a week and am proud of that because I didn't run at all prior to May.  I don't want to stop once winter hits because then I may lose what I've accomplished.  Oh, and I don't have a treadmill and don't plan on buying one.  I much prefer running outside!  Thanks for the input.

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• lauramom0204 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    1. Sep 11, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming

Wish I had some advice.   I'm very interested in this subject too.  Hope you get some responses soon!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    2. Sep 11, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming

I run outside pretty much year 'round

fall,winter and early spring are actually my favorite times to run.

Really-what could possibly be better than running along a trail through the fall colors--or listening to that crunch,crunch,crunch of a fresh couple inches of snow-or being out running in early march and desperately looking for those first signs of spring?

I have a seasonal occupation and I am generally "on vacation" December,january,february,march--so I enjoy those months the most.

the cold isn't really a problem- but the footing can be--  once it is the least bit slippery I wear "YakTraks" over my shoes--------- I go through several pairs a winter.

I really only run - off pavement-so if the  snow gets too deep or the trails too icy--- I run indoors on an indoor track. I don't really like the indoor track- but it is more like "real running" than a treadmill.

At my age(50) and my occupation(roofing) a slip and a fall on icy pavement could mean the end of my working career--so I am very carefull about the footing out there and I absolutely will not run on pavement(winter or summer)

Best wishes,

stephen

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Sep 11, 2012 3:07 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming

The right attire is key.  I also run outdoors in all weather conditions, but just prepare for the the most severe temps/wind chill factors with things like thermal vests, fleece/wool headwear, dressing in layers (wicking base) along with synthetic pants (not cotton sweats), coolmax socks and items for the face and neck that are mostly marketing to skiers.  Also, consider investing a some good trail shoes for winter running.  A bit heavier, but better protection and resistant to the elements with improved traction. 

It does require a bit of an adjustment period and sometimes it is tricky to get the right combination with changing temps, but just experiment and things will come together.  Sometimes, I go out around a few blocks and come back to make some changes before heading on the full route.  (I gave up depending on any exact weather forcasts).  Individual bodies react in different ways to the elements on different days for various reasons, and then things change quickly in winter.  The good news is that it is always better to over-compensate than under-prepare.  Usually, the only consequence is a little extra perspiration. 

Congrats on completing C25K and best wishes. 

• runian73 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    5. Sep 13, 2012 9:38 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming
  • lsivak2012 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 11, 2012
    7. Sep 14, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming

I have a follow up question - right now it's been about 50-60 degrees when I run at 5 am-ish.  I have a jacket that i wear that is 95% polyester and while it keeps me warm, its not long before I am too hot and have to shed it. IS there another fabric type I should be wearing?  I am looking at my road runner sports site, but confused about what type of fabric i need for the 35-60 degree range.

Thanks!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    8. Sep 14, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to lsivak2012)
    Winter coming

lsivak2012 wrote:

I have a follow up question - right now it's been about 50-60 degrees when I run at 5 am-ish.  I have a jacket that i wear that is 95% polyester and while it keeps me warm, its not long before I am too hot and have to shed it. IS there another fabric type I should be wearing?  I am looking at my road runner sports site, but confused about what type of fabric i need for the 35-60 degree range.

Thanks!

At those temperatures I just use layers of shirts --- probably one long-sleeve, and one more, possibly two t-shirts. I do not pull out the jacket or sweat shirts until the temperature hits the freezing point, cold wind, or rain.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    9. Sep 14, 2012 11:33 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    Winter coming

Under Armour Cold Gear.  Thats what I wear.  It is so worth the money.  Living on Long Island our wionters can get very cold.  My rule of thumb is 28 degrees.  28 and above I am outside. Below 28 I hit the dreadmill.

I wear UA Cold Gear leggings and shorts over them as well as a UA turtle neck l/s shirt under a sweatshirt as well as tech dry gloves and a UA hat and I am good to go. 

The UA cold gear wicks away the sweat and keeps you dry and warm. 

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    10. Sep 14, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to lifl2003)
    Winter coming

You'll find that an unlined windbreaker will come in handy as well.  Don't buy a pullover, buy one with a full length zipper.  You can use the zipper to regulate the amount of heat you're retaining, if you're a little warm, just lower the zipper a bit, etc.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    11. Sep 16, 2012 12:29 PM (in response to lsivak2012)
    Winter coming

lsivak2012 wrote:

Thanks!

I consider 50-60 deg to be ideal running weather. In that range I go with a T-shirt and shorts: long sleeves for low 50's, especially if windy, but short sleeves for high 50's and above. Too hot for a jacket of any sort.

In the 40-50 deg range I use two T-shirts: short sleeves under long sleeves. And shorts. Towards 40 deg I add thin gloves and a cap. I do have a thin breathable jacket with a hood and brim which I substitute for the long sleeve T-shirt if it's raining.

Only occasionally do I run below 40 deg, because it doesn't get colder where I live. If I'm on travel and it's in the 30-40 deg range, I borrow from my hiking clothes and add a thin polypro fleece (so three layers on top: two T-shirts and the fleece), thin long leggings, wool socks, wool cap and mid-weight gloves. Looks a little funky but it's nicely breathable and meets the temperature needs well.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...