Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739494 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 ... 327 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,915. Sep 11, 2012 7:36 PM (in response to justrundan)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Dan, so sorry about the crash on top of your family sorrows. You'll kill the hills! Unless you plan to win the whole race, the time is all relative.

Sounds like jm is beasting it. He's out of control?

Snerb, good luck with that trail race this weekend! Great time! Kudos on getting settled in.

Degregorious, hahahahaha. Wish I could be that patient!

Good work, Linus! I can hear you're excited. Keeping busy always helps me. You will have the best. race. ever.

CK, good you know you're heart healthy. Now enjoy the excitement and when it starts to feel long, think about the bling. That's going to be one. nice. medal! Hopefully there'll be some entertainment, too. Had my best time on a 10k right after a long layoff from an injury so don't assume you can't get a good time, especially if you plan it and stick to your plan.

BigSlade, going out too fast would account for feeling dead legs but only you would know your limits. Your times are really fast so...

NHLA - Great running, raceing, and climbing everybody! Yeah! Awesome pace and placement!!

Julie, it's good to feel safe.

Mel, sorry about the change in plans but it does look like an opportunity with the extra time.

Three sloooow miles on the river today doing 1:1 and then stretches. Hammy seems no worse after today's run than after the hike on Sunday. PT tomorrow. Scott (running friend at work) lectured me about how 6 hrs of hiking didn't fit his idea of hammy rest. I said, "You say that like it's a bad thing." He explained in more detail (thank gawd it was email) and tried to interest me in a later HM (as if I hadn't told him 56 times about the three I'm running in the next ten weeks). So I told him I found someone with a USAF (9/15) full bib who is injured and asked Scott if he would trade me his HM bib and run the full so I could run the half on Saturday. He could not see the wisdom, said it was an invitation for injury. So smh. He ran 20 mi this Sat. and this would be his 5th or 6th full.  So, I posted on fb but it's a long shot but I would run/walk that race in a heartbeat - carefully, mind you.

Run strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,916. Sep 11, 2012 8:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

BigSlade.... Do you have access to any running coaches/trainers? I'm out of ideas, unless you are just simply tired when you run.

Mkay.... Are you Scottish?

A night for cross training tonight. Did 2 sets of weights and core, and then 25 minutes on the bike while watching the Sox hurt the Yankees in the last inning. Too little too late, but we'll take a W over the Yankees anyday.

Have nice days, runners.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,917. Sep 12, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

cklindsay - Welcome back!    

linus - nothing wrong with a pep talk!

8 CHIILY miles this morning.  mile warmup, 10K tempo at 7:55 pace, and 1 mile cooldown. 52 degrees and rain, about 2/10 of an inch per hour. No scenery, just 5 laps around Crown Hill Lake on the concrete path. Hard, but no puddles to speak of. Time for a warm shower!

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,918. Sep 12, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Had a good run this morning on the treadmill... I know I know, good run and treadmill are not usually heard in the same sentence.  Anway, got 4.5 miles in 41:38, alternating between no incline and 3% incline every two minutes.  Felt good and no hint of the dead legs this morning.  Maybe I'm finally getting over the hump and I'm looking forward to my run Friday morning.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,919. Sep 12, 2012 1:58 PM (in response to BigSlade)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I ran a strong 4 miles this morning with a few BIG hills. Added a bit of spontaneous trail work too!

CKLindsay I hope the issue with your chest clears up. Worrisome.

NHLA Enjoy the much needed down time, you deserve it!!

Julie Ann Hackett Nice! I carry mace for dogs AND bears.

mkayc Good to hear the hammy is on the mend!

jmsab23 Nice work, Jon.

Old Coyote BRRRrrr. Bet that shower felt great

BigSlade So good to hear the tired legs are better. I still think it was the carb. issue and your body is getting used to burning fat instead. Just my theory.

Also, wanted to ask you more experienced runners...my new half marathon course is hilly...does this look very hilly, or moderately hilly?

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,920. Sep 12, 2012 2:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 62 min. Nice and cool. Still a little sore. Mabe tom. I'll be able to pick it up some. Thinking about my next race. Dupont Forest 50k on top of list or Savanna marathon.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,921. Sep 12, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to NHLA)

MelodyLea Thanks and I agree with you.  I can't pinpoint anything other than the diet change that would be causing what I've been dealing with.  I'm not ready to declare it over with, but I think I am on the back side of this swing.  I don't qualify as a more experienced runner, but  that does look like a rather hilly profile. 

Apr 9, 2011
    3,922. Sep 12, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MelodyLea - I just compared that with the profile of a 10 miler I did last fall, and I'd call it moderately hilly. Lots of up and down, some decent climbs, looks like a lot of fun!

You'll probably walk some. My race tip for hills is, if you must walk part of them, then walk the first half or two thirds, running the last part. It's a big boost to the psyche to top out a hill running; and when you pass someone on an uphill, they tend to stay passed . Don't let up at the top, either. Keep the effort up for a bit before you back off to a more reasonable pace.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,923. Sep 12, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Big Slade..... Nice news from your run. Hopefully you are over the hump with the legs thing.

Melody.... I also think it's rather hilly, but you've been here long enough to know what I think of hills.

Coyote...... I read in a blog by a Maine guy the same thing you said about hills. When you get to the top, don't be happy with your successful climb - tear into the level or downhill portion and go!!    Great job on your tempo run pace (7:55).

NHLA..... It seems like there should be a lot bigger difference (listening to the two terms, anyway) between a 50k and a marathon. The 50k just sounds Sooooooo much longer.

Got in a very nice morning run with my son's friend today, doing his favorite loop of 4.25 miles in 34:57. There are three hills -- two of which could disable a Sherman tank. But we did them, and he gave me a nice compliment.  I went to the oval torture chamber afterward and jogged another mile, then did some speed work.

Jun 8, 2011
    3,924. Sep 12, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Go Sox! Ahahahaha! Irish w some Slovak but definitely Scottish!! Unfortunately, he's not of the same mind, or at least that's what he's been telling me. It doesn't matter. I joke around to break the monotony and sometimes it backfires but I wouldn't mess with my job that way. BTDT.

OC - sorry but still jealous.

Mel - "does this look very hilly?" Is the Grand Canyon steep? Looks like fun! You can do it!! At least it's not just one up with no down. I like what OC says; I would let myself walk up the ones at 7 and 9 to save steam for the last climb just because uphill running and fast walking aren't much different speed. Speaking of my opinion, these KIA ads with adult sized furrie hamster/rats are skirting perversion. Srsly?

NHLA, relaaxxx! Sheesh. It's going to be hard to top the thrill but you'll get your mojo back.

PT today with hour of massage. Yes!! Didn't ask permission but told what I'd been up to. She didn't say what not to do so I'm running tomorrow with coaching group or going to the AF Expo to see if I can score a HM bib for Sat. Easy to say bc it will never happen but ...

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,925. Sep 12, 2012 8:21 PM (in response to mkayc)

melodylea:  I would say "hilly" with further qualifiers.  800 feet of climb over 13.1 miles is certainly not a fast, flat, friendly course.  The RW HM in Oct will be similar to yours.  Would suggest climbing hills at a steady pace, approximately 30-60 seconds per mile slower than your planned goal pace by using shorter strides, and maintaining level of effort, then "let it fly" downhill.  For me, walking up hills, even for a part, can be more demoralizing than simply slowing down.  Both methods are effectively doing the same thing which is conserving energy for later in the race.

bigslade:  glad you are over your slump.  Think I caught something from you, though.

jmsab:  condolences on the sox abysmal showing this year.  My son and wife don't even watch anymore.  Unless you still can't forgive and forget my Reds for what they did in 1975, you might consider rooting for them the rest of the year, as they are 2nd best record in baseball.  We could use as many fans as possible!

3 miles on the "dreadmill" this morning was miserable and couldn't wait for it to end.  Was "pulling a plow" as snerb likes to say.  Plan to take tomorrow off completely plus planned rest day on Friday and hope for better things this weekend.   Think that by starting my training plan two weeks early is costing me a bit now.  Doubt missing one workout will cost me anything in HM 10 days from now.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,926. Sep 13, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melody - 'Added a bit of spontaneous trail work too!'  I'll be interested to see if you get the trail running itch.  I don't know if I qualify as an experienced runner, but I would call that moderately hilly.

Linus - Sometimes the dreadmill is necessary, but we don't have to like it.

Jmsab - I'm on the O's bandwagon.  ANYONE but the Yankees

I ran again at my favorite winter ski hill yesterday evening.  This time my GPS stayed connected to the mother-ship and recorded 4.5 miles in 45 minutes.  Not running today or tomorrow in prep for my 4.4 mile trail race on Saturday morning.  Also signed up for a 10k trail run on Sept. 22nd. 

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Apr 9, 2011
    3,927. Sep 13, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA  - That 50K in the forest sounds heavenly. I'm thinking/dreaming of the Greenland  (Colorado) 50K next spring - but I need to get the 26.2 done first.

Marykay - Coming along well!

melodylea - Only critter I saw today was a juvenile raccoon scrambling up a tree. But they're related to bears, so that's something, right?

linus - At this point in your training, I'd say you could rest for a week and not lose any fitness. Enjoy your taper!

4:30 am, 52 degrees, cloudy. 12.5 miles, 56:42 out, 54:03 back. I was trying to do 13.1 but I turned back too soon. The other half of my goal was to do my marathon pace, which I did do. 9:01 pace; and mile 10.3-11.3 was done at 8:00. I'm pleased . Two more weeks, and then taper...Run free!

Jun 8, 2011
    3,928. Sep 13, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC, 8:00 and 9:01? You are so ready to kick that marathon's butt!

It's great to see you all having such good runs! I'm checking in on the off chance that I can find a bib for the AF race this Saturday and couldn't resist the baseball discussion. "ANYONE but the Yankees" Yesss! Linus, I've been watching the Reds for five years and wish I could root for them but sometimes it's like watching the farm team. They just don't show the consistency or cohesiveness that you see in good professional baseball. It is so hit or miss. Ha! a baseball cliche. What I really love to see, fielding, sometimes looks like Keystone Cops but they can hit - for now.

Mary Kay

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,929. Sep 13, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.5 miles 62 min. Nice and cool. I ran dupont marathon twice. Now its a 50k. Almost 2 miles of climbing and 4 miles of rock to rock where you can't run fast. A friend is running savanna and trying to talk me into it, I can always run charlotte again.I like that course.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...