Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

794 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 7:24 AM by rcuriel RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2012 8:37 AM

Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 12, 2012

G'day, haven't done an actual run or workout yet; just wanted to get things going.

166 pounds this morning, one pound above goal weight. Of course I haven't really lost two pounds of fat since yesterday morning; it's all water weight. Last night I said to Dark Mare at bedtime, "You know, I really haven't drunk enough water since my run." So I had a glass of water, but this morning I felt parched and the scale told the tale.

Maybe a slow run later. Then lots of water.

Mike, good run by you yesterday in the Minnesota heat. (Is "Minnesota heat" an oxymoron? Or possibly the name of a sports team?)

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 12, 2012 9:19 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Watching the scale on a daily basis can be frustrating, it'll have you losing weight one day and gaining the next.  On that note, I weighed in at 169 this morning.  I haven't seen that number in a while, now we'll see how long it holds up.  I have this vision of being a whisp of a thing, lighter than air as I BQ without so much as breaking a sweat.

Today's run consisted of a 2 mile warm-up, 6 X 1/2 mile intervals with a 60 second break between, then a 2 mile cool down for a total of 7.  Shooting for 3:40's, I ran 3:42, 3:37, 3:39, 3:38, 3:45 and 3:42.  I was experimenting with my form a bit in that 3:45, or would have been more consistent.

Sadly, I wasn't lighter than air...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Sep 12, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

10 miles today.  First 5 in 45:15, second five in 44:05.  Definitely died the last mile, moderate effort to do a 9:02 mile.

Don't feel too bad for longest continuous run since...1995?!

Interesting diet DH, you're not supposed to drink water - Scotch instead?

Ray

Dec 10, 2007
    4. Sep 12, 2012 2:43 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

D.H., here's an interesting list, 15 foods that burn more calories than they contain. http://lifehacker.com/331319/fifteen-foods-that-burn-more-calories-than-they-contain#13389459066563&{

Info for your book...lol

Dec 10, 2007
    5. Sep 12, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Nice run Ray, congrats!  What's nice is the next one will be easier.

How's your leg?  Runs like the one you did today will definitely help, way to go...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    7. Sep 12, 2012 8:24 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

DH, no MN sports teams named Heat yet (yo Miami), but look out for the Timberwolves this year

10 miles sounds like a great run Ray, and aren't you doing that in Florida heat?

Rich, I switched to Brooks "minimalist" Pure Connection a month ago from Asics DS Trainers.  I don't know how they will feel with higher mileage, but so far they feel awesome, and my legs are doing well.

Ran 3 today in light rain.  6 Sunday, 4 Tuesday = 13 wtd.  Thinking maybe 25/week for the first time in awhile.  Over the 10% rule, but I think I will be ok, as this time is different, right...right

Mike in Minneapolis

Mike in Minneapolis

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    8. Sep 13, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to brndog)

Mike, No t'aint in FL.  Out west in SF Bay area (mid-peninsula and south bay if you know the area).  Was probably mid to high 70's

during run yesterday.  Forcast high is 90 today - good for a recovery run...Shoe wise, run in vibrams (komodo, bikila and kos).  Son runs in Merrells - prefers his shoes look normal.  Feet got pretty warm yesterday...

Rich, left leg held up well.  right calf is a little tight. thought the left achilles might be tight yesterda, but actually feels good this morning.

Rolled out the calves last night on the foam roller.

DH, most days are a bit of a struggle.  First mile is almost always in the 9:00-9:30 range.  Takes awhile to loosen up. 

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...