Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

652 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 4:41 PM by brndog RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2012 8:51 AM

Runs & workouts, Thursday, September 13, 2012

2 slow untimed miles at the track this morning, sunny and 75 degrees.

Not my day to overachieve.

That being said, my plan calls for another visit to the track later today.

Bought a new pair of shoes: Saucony motion control shoes, similar to what I have been using for years. For now, I'm leaving the radical minimalist shoes to other people. In some ways I am a cautious, conservative fellow. My wife has said to me, "You don't like any food that your mother wasn't serving in 1965."

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 13, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Thursday, September 13, 2012

Uh DH, that one's got me scratchin' my head... lol

Checked my resting heart rate this morning, that was 51.  Checked my weight, still 169.  And checked my blood pressure, 112 over 66.  A buddy of mine used to say, "I feel so good it's scary."  I'm not scared, but it does feel good to feel good.

6 miles today.  I started out thinking I'd run 8 on a course that includes a decent hill in mile 5, but once I got underway, scrapped those plans in favor of a shorter run.  I'd forgotten about yesterday's intervals, but my legs hadn't.

Anyway, I still ran a decent hill in the third mile and finished in 57:48, or a 9:38 pace.  

If there's any part of this training cycle where I came up short, it would be running hills.  I know they're important, I just couldn't get enough of  'em in.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    2. Sep 13, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Funny how Mom's meals are more or less comfort foods.

Rich I can only wish my BP was that low.  Don't know what it is these days, misplaced my BP machine.  Last checkup (earlier this year) it wasn't technically high, but - I'm in the watch list...sigh.

Sounds like today was an off day for everybody.  6 miles today in 57-58 minutes (watch missed the first .2 miles - measued 54:29 and 5.83 miles.  83F today and definitely felt it - from mile 3 onward it was "can I stop now?"  Not sure what are hills for you, but my fitbit registered 25 floors (250 Ft).  Legs feel tired but otherwise ok.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Sep 13, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Runs & workouts, Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ray, NH's got its share of hills, but 250 feet is a good climb.  I used to run a 10 mile loop that had 600 feet of elevation gain and drop, what a great workout that was.  There's just no way I could take on a run like that without dropping something else during this last training cycle, so I left it out.  It's not like I didn't run ANY hills, but most schedules have you running hill repeats and that's where I came up short.

DH, I've always felt that racing is what makes running fun.  Like you said, put in the miles and don't get hurt.  Only another runner can relate. 

I love the atmosphere of a race and 5K's are totally different from a marathon.  Marathoners are a serious bunch, with a big task ahead of them.  5K'ers on the other hand, are the YeeHaw crowd, just over 3 miles and they're done.  Half marathoners are somewhere in between...    

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    5. Sep 13, 2012 4:41 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Ran 6 today in 70's temperature.  19 for the week with 6 planned for Saturday for 25.

DH, your rules for successful running are so TRUE.  I had to push myself out the door today and felt dead legged, but ended up feeling great as the run went on.  Now all I need to do is the repeat step

How long have you been running in Vibram's Ray?  I might try them down the road, or Merrill like you son.  I don't miss the heavier shoes I used to run in.

Mike in Minneapolis

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...