Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

843 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 7:34 AM by BOSNPM RSS
tempehof Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2012 11:19 AM

MCM Training injury

Well into the Higdon Intermediate full marathon program, and bam, I'm on the self with tendonitis in the lower shin, potential tear.  Training was going great in fact had a new PR in a 1/2 a few weeks ago 1:45.  Came out of nowhere!  I've seen a sports med doc in hopes of getting over this...walking boot, Medrol dose pack, ice, elevation, etc.  The hope is that I'll be going again here in about 1-2 wks., and man I hope this works!  But here's the deal, with the week already lost, this one near gone, and the 1-2 wks to heal...please, please, heal!  That could leave me about 4 weeks until the MCM, which is my 1st marathon.  UGH!

I know I have to heal 1st, this I understand, but I only got through the 17 mile week in Higdon's program.  I'll assume that I'll need to start off with training wheels once and if I get going again...meaning very low miles.

Thoughts, suggestion, advice...anything!  I so want to do this marathon, and still want to maintain the original goal which was to finish, without stopping, and do it under 4hrs.  Probably a pipe dream at this point  

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Sep 13, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to tempehof)
    MCM Training injury

Crosstraining.  Don't know what you can do, cycling, rowing, elliptical.  Whatever is okay.  You won't lose too much in 1-2 weeks, but you'll lose less with a good cross training regimen.

Ray

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 13, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to tempehof)
    MCM Training injury

I can see two problems.

1. How bad is the injury, really?  4 weeks is enough to get back to a reasonable level of running, as long as you can start back a little beyond the "baby steps" stage.  If you can get to, say, a 10 or 12 miler 2 weeks out you should be in half decent shape.

2. Lack of mileage. Yeah, that will hurt some. Combine that with not wanting to re-injure youreself doing the marathon and I think you'd best forget about a sub 4 and think more about just finishing healthy.  Make no mistake, that's still a very worthwhile goal.

Meanwhile, as rcuriel said, do whatever you can to maintain aerobic fitness.  I once had shin splints so bad on my last long run that it hurt to walk, let alone run.  I took two weeks off completely, threw out any notions about time and ran a couple 3-milers the last week.  I ran (MCM), and finished, and my shin was fine.  It can be done.

Len

Len

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    3. Sep 14, 2012 4:01 AM (in response to tempehof)
    MCM Training injury

I am running the MCM too.

Injuries just plain suck!

Hopefully it heals in the two week period.

I currently have a sinus infection. I actually have chronic sinustitis.  I hate being on antibiotics so I have

avoided going to the docs and have been trying to home remedy it away to no avail.

I finally broke down and went to the docs.  10 days of Biaxin and a prednisone pack.  Feeling better already plus my doc is running a Tough mudder in

October so we talked running for a while.

17-18 miler planned for tomorrow.  Hope to see you at the MCM.

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Sep 14, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to lifl2003)
    MCM Training injury

I like Len's approach, see what happens in two weeks.  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...