Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

763 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 7:41 AM by JessicaMauerhan RSS
JessicaMauerhan Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2012 7:07 AM

How to train for first mud run?

My husband and I are signed up to do a mud run, and have never done one. It says it has obstacles but doesn't elaborate - the photos of previous years show people balancing on boards and climbing ropes and tires.

What should we do for training to get ready for the obstacles? Our goal is just to finish, not to go fast We currently do interval running training every other day, for 20 minutes (5 min warmup & 5 min cooldown)

Any other advice for a newbie? Thanks!!

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 14, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to JessicaMauerhan)
    Re: How to train for first mud run?

I have not done one, but I know friends who have, and I watched one of my friends "compete". After talking to them, the one thing I take away from it is, get some hill training in. Most, if not all, of these events are in areas that have skiing during the winter. The biggest complaint I heard from them was the running up and down hills. Downhill sounds easy, unless it is wet and slippery. For the few obstacles that are on the course, you can pretty much struggle through those. Plus, with the obstacles, you can go around some of them if you struggle too much, and can't hand climb over water pits, or go through giant pipes. There is one near me tomorrow at Yawgoo Ski area in RI. I'm going to watch two of my co-workers. I haven't done one yet, because I would probably be the one to twist an ankle and not be able to run, bike, and lift for three or four weeks. Not worth it to me. It does look like "fun" though, in a weird sort of way (i.e. "let's pay $30 to go run 3 miles in the mud").

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points