Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

633 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 3:51 PM by Rich in NH
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2012 8:04 AM

Runs & workouts, Friday, September 14, 2012

4 miles at the track, untimed, probably 9:xx mile pace, with last lap probably 7:xx mile pace. Sunny, low 70s.

That wraps up my 20 miles for the week.

This weekend I have National Guard duty, so you may not see me here.

If time permits, I may try to run 3 more miles over the weekend, because I had only 17 last week. Not that I'm compulsive or anything.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 14, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Friday, September 14, 2012

Nice run D.H.  Has it been 3 weeks since you increased your mileage?  How are you feeling?  That last lap @ 7:xx pace makes me think you're feeling pretty good.

I ran a 4 mile out and back today, what a difference a day makes.  Warmed for a mile and a half, ran the next 5 @ tempo, then cooled for a mile and a half.  Tempo splits were 4:01, 7:58, 7:53, 7:56, 8:06 and 4:05.  The difference in time can probably be attributed to minor up and downhill running, the effort felt pretty steady.

Anyway, I'm winding down my first week of taper this week and running 80% of my highest weekly mileage.  I've got just one more difficult run to do with Sunday's planned 15 miler, then it's on to week 2 of tapering and just 50% of my highest mileage.  Finally!

Break out the Lima beans, it's time to practice carb loading. lol

D.H., has you unit ever been called overseas?  Thanks for what you do...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Sep 14, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Fridays are rest days, so 5 miles walking in 1:10:30.  Depending on when you begin the week, weekly mileage is 22.5 or 25.8 (3.25 run on Sunday).

DH nice pic, but what's with yin/yang patch?

Rich, hopefully all the work will pay off.  Lima beans?  I'll take some refries...

Mike - Started in Jan 2010, but got to take 6 months off in 2010 and 2011 due to injuries from doing too much too soon and running races when injured.  Hopefully I've learned a few things, hopefully...

Ray

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    4. Sep 14, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Runs & workouts, Friday, September 14, 2012

No run today, did play golf and walked eighteen.  Plan on six tomorrow to hit 25 for the week, the highest weekly for quite a while.

Posting here does seem to put a little positive pressure on to get the runs in, which is good!

Along those same lines, I signed up to run the Dallas Whiterock half on December 9th. It gives me a goal to shoot for.

DH, yesterday I saw an Army guy in full camouflage, carry a huge back pack, out running, in boots no less. Looked pretty tiring.

Rich, I looked up Clarence Demar. I had never heard of him. He is the only guy to win SEVEN Boston marathons. Wow.  May he be at your back during your race.

Mike in Minneapolis

Mike in Minneapolis

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Sep 14, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to rcuriel)

I actually like lima beans too, but wouldn't want a steady diet of 'em.  They're a great source for carbs (19g in a half cup) and a third of your fiber requirements for a day in the same 1/2 cup.  Oat meal, brown rice, whole grain spaghettie and fresh fruit are all good choices for carb loading.  I know there are more, but these come to mind right now.

I'd say you've done pretty well D.H., doubling your mileage is slightly more than the 10% recommended by all the pros.  Good for you.

Ray, I start a new week on Mondays as does D.H.   I'm wondering how your walk breaks work, would you say they're better than a recovery run?

Ah yes, running races while injured.  The worse stunt I ever pulled was running a 5K with a groin pull.  I thought I could get away with it by doing a long warm-up.  It got me through the race, but I literally couldn't walk the next day.

Yeah Mike, Clarence DeMar was an accomplished runner.  He kept a residence in the town where the marathon is being run, hence the connection to the race.  That's great you've signed up for a half, now we'll have to cheer you on as well.

And thanks to you and Ray for the well wishes.  Marathons demand respect and if you take them lightly, they're not very forgiving...lol

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...