Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

938974 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 ... 315 Previous Next
  • CEF62 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012

HI Everyone -

I am new to this post, new to 50 (August), and new to running.  I started running my own version of a C25K, after NEVER running, on 8/6/12.  I had been walking about 3 miles 4 times per week for the last three years and needed something more.  I am now up to 4 miles 3-4 times per week at about 10.27 mi.  I am running my first 5K this sunday.  I pushed myself the other morning (Tuesday) and did 5 miles and had terrible right ankle and heel pain after the run.  Tried to run on it yesterday and couldnt even push out 3 miles without stopping 3 times.  I am impatient and think that maybe I have been trying to do too much too soon??  Any advice on how to create a running schedule that is challaning and builds in progress but at the right pace?  Thanks!! 

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

CEF, welcome!! I am an expert on impatience. Look over the training plans online for race lengths like 10k or half marathon and see how the experts advise you to do it. Pick one you can live with and STICK TO IT!! (shouty because that's the hard part).

GUESS WHO JUST GOT A BIB FOR THE AF HM THIS SATURDAY!!!?????  I did I did I did   Doing my happy dance before this **** gets serious.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• azdrawdy Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009

@ mkayc:  So jealous of the AF HM!  I tried to sign up but was too late this year.  I will be there in 2013, plus I will be 50 then, since I turn the magic number this November. I live in SC, but my brother lives in Columbus, so it will be a family visit/HM trip.

@ all:  Nice thread.  I started running three years ago.  My wife is a life-long runner, and I decided that since she wasn't going to stop, and actually seemed to be enjoying that stuff, I may as well join her. Have now run dozens of 5K, many 10K and one HM.  I have been a very active cyclists since the late 80s, but have to admit that I am thoroughly enjoying the running scene. I am also a running shoe junkie, with dozens of bright shoes around my bed and in my closet.  I typically run 3-5 times per week, usually between 3-4 miles, around a 9:30 pace, both on the ground and on the TM. I personally love the Higdon plans. They give me a goal, and I get to check them off as I get them done!

My motivation?  I don't want to look like, or act and feel like, the majority of my co-workers

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

BTW, I passed the guy before crossing the finish line. Bet he hated getting "chicked" by an OLD HEN! LOL

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Marie:  Bet it felt great to "chick" that guy.  WTG.  You look a lot fresher than he does.  What is the square-shaped thing attached to the left side of your top?

azdrawdy:  Welcome to our forum.  I'm glad you're doing both biking and running.  They're great complements to each other.

Rest day today, then Fox Valley HM tomorrow.  Leaving here at 5AM to pick up a friend, then about an hour's drive.  Forecast is for a nice cool morning, so a 7AM start will be good.  I'm running with a 2:15 pacer, so I hope I can stay with her and feel strong enough in the last two miles to go ahead of her and PR.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jun 8, 2011

Welcome! GREAT RACE!!! Well organized, good site, friendly crowd, and great swag!

Will write later but did 13.2 in 3:10 and could have come in under 3 if not for hammy. Great day so far!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Marie they always say a picture is worth a thousand words. Way to go. not sure how you felt but you look fresh. The guy looks like he's in serious pain.

mKay Way to tough it out Hammyand all......

Steve Best of luck on your race. looking forward to your report.

Azdrawdy Welcome That's a great motivator .

As for me today I learned three things.

1. I can complete a 26 mile training run.

2. 26 miles is a lot further than 13

3. I have the best supportitive  wife in the world.

Three weeks to race day It's Taper Time Woooowhoooo!!!!!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Marie-great job on the finish. I was thinking the same thing about Mr 318!  I hate those finish line cameras.  I always look like I'm about to keel over!

Steve-good luck in the Fox Valley race; you had me thinking you were on the wrong date, then I saw the city. The 'Fox Cities' marathon and HM are next Sunday in Appleton, WI. 

Mary Kay- way to tough it out.  Hope the hammy can fully recover now...

Tony-great job on the 26 miler!  Best of luck in Chicago.

I finished the WO-ZHA-WA HM today in 2:37:45 by my timer (no chip), just over 12m/mi.  I copied your idea Tony, doing 60/30 for first 3 miles, then 2:1 most of the rest of the way.   I'm sure you're right, Tony, 26.2 is a lot further than 13.1!  I have one more chance for a long run in 2 weeks to decide if I'm signing up for HM or FM on 10/21.  We will see.

Way to keep working it gang.  Run strong and safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Marie, got say ditto on the picture.  That guy looks like he's in world of hurt.  You look fresh, better training!

MKay, Congrats on the finish.  Now, take it easy and let the hamstring heal (easy not off, turn down the intensity)

Dan, Way to go!  Congrats.

Tony, 26 miles - just boggles my mind.

As part of my 10K training, the scheduled called for a 10 mile run.  Did that on Wednesday.  Since it felt pretty good, decided to join my wife doing a 1/2 marathon today.

Figured it would be a good workout and a chance to make up for a less then satisfying (at least for me) 1/2 in April, where I ended up hurting my left achilles.  Goal for the race was a 1:55 with a stretch of 1:50.  The course was 3 laps around Lake Merced in SF.  Hit lap 1 in under 38 and started thinking about a sub 1:50.  Lap 2 finished in around 1:15.  Last lap included a shortcut to keep us around 13.1 and was able to bring it in at 1:48:33 by my watch.  Official time would be around 1:48:35 +/- 2 seconds. Don't know if it's the high of running well, but I feel pretty good.  Wife got second in her AG and well under 2:00.  All in all a successful day.

Run strong!

Ray

Jun 8, 2011

Marie, I loved the pic of you racing because he looks so pathetic and it's a great metaphor for life. We all run our own races, finishing ahead or behind our past records. This guy had no reason to focus his finish on whether you passed him; he's clearly gassed out and lucky to be standing.  Men get a little physical advantage in running too so comparing his race to yours makes things only worse for him. You look fresh and are running with power. You obviously ran well and deserved an earlier finish.

Tony, you are such an inspiration! 26 mi training run is awesome!! You will have a fantastic race!! enjoy the rest and store that strength.

Ray, Great Job!! That's the first time I've heard of someone running a HM to train for a 10k. You and your wife are pretty darn fast!!

Good race to you next weekend, Steve!!

My race was good. My friend, Scott found me and had pre-race jitters so I was conscious that I didn't. I just felt unbelievably happy and lucky to be running. I wasn't going to be able to push because I didn't intend to risk a post-race injury and give my naysayers fodder. Friday Dr. B (obese and over 50) said, "Do you really think it's wise to be running at your age?" So time didn't matter, and I knew if I was hurting, I could walk and still finish. I started with 1:1 run walk and felt strong until m.4 when the top of my hamstring, the part in your butt, started shouting but it was just annoying. By 9 the pain was screaming and the whole leg felt alien so I switched to 30:30. That worked for awhile but around 11 it seemed my walking was faster than running and I think I was limping so I reluctantly walked the rest. If I had been able to do the last half of the race as I did the first half, I could have finished in under 3 hrs. so I was disappointed about that but I did get a PR out of it; finished in 3:10. Knowing my record for getting lost, Scott showed me the finish line as we came into the race area. Such a good idea!! Once again the course looped around before the end but this time I was prepared. YAY! Before finishing we could hear them calling everyone's name as they finished and telling facts about them like "This is Mike's first full marathon" or "Bob just ran a personal best" as they crossed and I was worried because I was a 39 yr old named Jeffrey, a modern medical miracle, but the announcer just ignored me. Whew. Even though I napped, I didn't feel like partying last night and today have some stiffness and ache but was able to do a very short trail run so feeling optimistic that I can finish the trail HM in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

For those thinking of this race, I loved it for lots of reasons. It was really well organized. Wright Patterson AF base is huge but there were people everywhere telling you where to go and everything was well marked. The freeway had a lit sign, "For the AF Marathon, take exit...." Parking was in a field but was marked off with colored and numbered flags. Instructions said to be on base two hours before start and it was perfect timing to navigate the line of incoming cars (think high season Disney), the parking lot, the starting area, the bathroom lines, and see the flyovers (yess!) and opening ceremony (skydivers with flags to live music).  And the base was quite impressive with the museum and planes and memorial park and sheer size.  Other good things: 1) Inside bathrooms at the start and in two places along the course and plenty of porta pots; 2) Only runners, scenery and volunteers on the course; 3) One half mile (at 10) of public cheering; 4) Lots of water, gatorade, gels, bars, and sponges; 5) Lots of monitors on atvs, bikes and in vehicles who evicted people if they weren't authorized or if they violated rules (and cared for injured); 6) A really well-behaved crowd (any wonder?); and 7) A truly flat and fast HM course. The one downside was adjusting to taking everything you need in this plastic bag they give out at pickup because it's a long walk back to parking. I didn't get the picture so I was packing with morning brain as I left the car. I forgot my Motoactiv and earphones!! I have NEVER run without tunes!! It was thirty min before start when I realized I didn't have them and would have to miss the opening ceremony and maybe the start to rush back for them. I figured this was a great time to try enjoying the race atmosphere and I never missed them once. Come January, I will be registering to run this again and hope to make it a tradition.

Mary Kay

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hi, just thought I’d drop by and see how everyone was doing and let you know I haven’t dropped off the face of the Earth.  I might’ve mentioned in passing that I was having some back problems back in May/June that I thought were going to go away once I got my workstation adjusted at work.  Well, in late July I had a complete meltdown – all my core muscles hurting and uncooperative so I missed a day of work and had to take bear tranquilizers for a week.  I’m not out of the woods yet and it’s really frustrating.  Every time I seem to be getting over it I have a relapse, or the trouble moves to a different muscle group.  I’ve still been able to keep up the running because I still seem to be fine with that, though my mileage has been pretty wimpy.  The whole experience has left me feeling very fragile, which I hate.  Bleh.  I did manage to get up to Hopiland over Labor Day weekend for the Louis Tewanima Footrace, though I switched from the 10K to the 5K.  The field was very young, so I copped 3rd place in my age group despite a rather poor time.  Growing old has some advantages after all!  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent here. 

Has anyone tried Bikram Yoga?  There’s a studio just opened up near me offering a special.  I thought it might be helpful because they heat the room beforehand.  The gym where I do BodyFlow is air conditioned and I sometimes get foot cramps on that cold floor.

Marie, way to go on the finish!

Suzee, great news on your fundraising and enjoy your taper!

Dan et al, looking forward to hearing how everyone’s races went this weekend.

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Yesterday's Fox Valley HM was not as good as I had hoped, but still not bad.  The weather was excellent, starting with low 50s at the 7AM start and probably low 60s when we finished.  I wore shorts, a short-sleeved top and arm warmers that I pushed down to my wrists after a few miles.  Some people wore tights which I think they regretted fairly soon.  I also saw a collection of long-sleeved tops at the finish line that runners had discarded at various points and that the volunteers had picked up.  I hope these will might be washed and, if still decent, given to homeless shelters or similar organizations.  That's what they do at the Des Moines Marathon.

This race had three parts:  full and half marathons and a 20-miler for those who are doing the Chicago Marathon next month and want a final long tuneup run.  Total entrants were 2,900.  They have kept the total fairly small because of parking limitations in the downtown area.  We started in waves of 100, 30 seconds apart, which really lessened the starting line congestion and made it much easier to settle into a good early pace.  What I had not anticipated were some early short and steep hills that I struggled on even more than usual because I was not yet warmed up and into any kind of rhythm.  Many runners find their pace and rhythm early on, but it takes me a few miles, so those early hills were not my friends.  As a result, I lost touch with my pacer after only about four miles and could not catch up.

The course was good, starting in downtown and running on streets for the first few miles, then moving to the trail that runs along the Fox River.  There were several long stretches with few or no spectators, very quiet and scenic, which made for easy running.  We stayed on that trail for the most part until we got to about seven miles where we crossed the river and went back north.  The full marathoners and 20-milers continued south.  The last mile or so looped through a beautiful park next to the river, then we did the last short piece to the finish line.  There were plenty of water stops and medical tents along the route, so that I skipped a few and drank from the bottle I was carrying.  I had gels with me too.  I ran out of tissues at about halfway, so I stopped at one of the medical tents at eight or nine miles to restock.  Note to self:  carry more next time.

My finishing time was a disappointing 2:23, eight minutes behind my goal time and nine slower than my PR.  I think without those hills, I could have done two or three minutes faster.  However, my time was good enough for third in my AG (M65-69) out of seven.  As we all know, we old people have small age groups.  Overall I was not displeased with the day.  I set my PR at Grandma's Marathon in 2011, but that was a flat, point-to-point course with a tailwind, so any comparison is unfair.

My post-race meal after I got home was pizza and chocolate milk.  I was disappointed that there was no chocolate milk or something similar at the finish, but that's not my decision.  Also, there were thousands of plastic water bottles, but no separate bins marked for recycling.  I hope someone went through the trash cans to pull them out for reuse rather than sending them to a landfill.

I continue, as I think we all do, to be pleased that I (we) can still be out there training and competing.  I feel so blessed not to be saddled with the health problems that plague so many people our age and I look forward (again, as I think we all do) to being able to do this for a lot more years.  I have one more HM next month in Des Moines.  We will get to see our granddaughter again; she will be just shy of two months old and I know she will look a lot different that she did when we first saw her at 10 days old.  My son had planned to do the full marathon but he has dialed back to the half due to a lack of training.

Congratulations to all (Mary Kay, Dan and everyone else) who raced this past weekend.  Today is a rest day for me and probably a 30-mile bike ride with friends tomorrow.

I have to go to the store now:  I'm almost out of chocolate milk.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jun 8, 2011

Great job, Steve! Love that time!!  BTW, in the Males 65-69, 46 ran the HM and 34 ran the full at the AF marathon. 

Mary Kay

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

MKay,Steve GREAT  reading all those race reports.

Ray what's the secret? You and your wife ran that HM pretty darn fast. way To Go

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• azdrawdy Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009

Nice report on the AF HM.  Good job on completing it!  Looking forward to them opening up registration, and I really badly want a USAF finisher's medal.

MD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...