Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

805 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 3:01 PM by brndog RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2012 8:50 AM

Runs & workouts, Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012

Thought I'd start this since Dark Horse is away from his computer spending the weekend with the National Guard.

6 miles today on the railtrail at an easy/recovery pace.  I want to try running long tomorrow with some race paced miles thrown in at the end of the run, should be interesting.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Sep 15, 2012 9:34 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Sounds like a nice run Rich.  My walks are mostly for rest days to get my steps in (try to get 10K steps per day).  If I don't run or walk I'll only get 5k in or less.  Did my walk yesterday mostly out of habit (left my fitbit at home - so no steps or stairs recorded).

Did 4 miles on the tread mill followed by 1/2 mile walk.  Splits were 9:11, 8:09, 7:37 and 7:03.  Felt better at the end then I expected, still felt like I could go a little faster.  Wife and I are looking at running a race tomorrow in SF - late binding so, we'll see...

Run strong.

Ray

Mar 2, 2011
    3. Sep 15, 2012 5:05 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

We have a friend who works at Stanford and the handed out pedometers and asked them to do 10K steps a day.  Kaiser also advocates you do 10K steps a day.  Fitbit default goals are 10K steps a day, 10 floors a day 70K steps per week and 70 floors per week.  As a goal oriented person the fitbit makes me more aware of how much or little I'm moving in a day.

I think walking helps recovery.  Body repair is about blood flow and minimizing inflamation and walking is a reasonable minimal stress exercise.

Wife is more of a runner then I am these days.  Think she's done 6 or more marathons in the last three years and tries to do at least 1 1/2 marathon a month.

Ray

Mar 2, 2011
    5. Sep 16, 2012 12:14 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

It's funny, when I walk I'm close to 2000 steps per mile.  When I run, closer to 1400 steps per mile.  Oddly enough, if you're moving consistently you do quite a few steps.  If you sit at a desk all day, not so much (working with computers - that's me).  If I walk 5 miles, I'll usually end up with about 7 or 8 miles for the day and close to 15K steps.  If I run 6 miles, I'm 1-2K steps less...go figure.

Wife does well.  She got 2nd in her age group at the 1/2 today.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    6. Sep 16, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

I got 6 miles in yesterday to hit 25 for the week. I don't know if it is the new shoes or what, but have little to no leg stiffness today (Sunday), which is encouraging.  My goal is 25 next week also, with weights and golf filling in non-running days.

Is their a good rule of thumb for how many weeks at highler miles should be followed by a less intense week?  It sounds like you have a routine that you follow, Rich, but I can't remember the exact routine.

Congrats to your wife, Ray.  I would love to come in second sometime!  Also, I recently looked at the study done on life expectany sitting all day versus at least standing some of the time.  Not much good to be said about SITTING, which consumes a lot of my day as I am on the computer a number of hours.

No run for me today, weights at an aerobic pace for a little tone.

Good luck to DH at the guard duty...maybe he is running with his backpack to get some miles in?

Mike in Minneapolis

Mike in Minneapolis

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    8. Sep 17, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, I like the two weeks at higher miles with a 70% back-off week.  That seems like a reasonable routine to allow some adaptation to occur.  The last thing I want to do is get injured.

Mike in Minneapolsi

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...