Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

584 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 4:14 PM by Rich in NH
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2012 6:43 AM

Runs & workouts, Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012

The joys of living in N.E. were evident this morning as the thermometer showed just 40 degrees when I headed out to run.  Windbreaker, gloves and running shorts, just the right combination to have non-runners shaking their heads as they drove by...lol

Anyway, I ran an 8 mile out and back with the intention of running marathon race pace once I made the turn for home.  Time going out was 1:14:26, or a 9:18 pace.  Coming back was 1:10:59 or an 8:52 pace.  I had a tough time with pacing coming in, I'd run one mile in 8:44, then 8:58 the next.   I kept that up most of the way, slowing one mile, then surging the next.  Obviously, I need to get a better handle on what 8:57's feel like before race day, or it'll be a long day.

I'm happy with the time though, running race pace at the end of 16 miles gives me hope...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Sep 16, 2012 11:32 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, I don't know if you should worry too much about surging while you're running - I think if you're consistent for 2 mile laps that it will work out.  Did my 2nd 1/2 marathon today.  This was a 3 laps around Lake Merced (with a short cut on the 3rd lap).  Average pace for lap 1 (~4.5 miles) 8:18/mile, Lap 2 8:22/Mile and Lap 3 (~4.1 mile) *:11/Mile.  Total time 1:48:33 (by my watch - ~1:48:36 official time).  No chip for this race, but entry fee was only $10 for late registration!  My original goal was 1:55 with stretch goal of 1:50 - so I'm pretty high right now.  Race predictors were ~1:46 (based on 5k PR), so I'm pretty close to where I should be.  I guess I'm ready to train for a 1/2 instead of my 10K training.  My 10K race is in two weeks, predicted time is ~48:10.  Might be possible...

Ray

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 16, 2012 3:09 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Ray, nice half. Rich, good long run.

3 slow untimed miles at the track, maybe 9:xx pace.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...