Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

513 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 12:11 PM by Jasko123 RSS
2Bpositivelygr8 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2012 9:56 AM

Good day

Good day to all,

I am relatively new at running however have found it very addicting.  I'm a Southern California girl from birth and love truly love living in the San Gabriel mountains.  I started out hiking through the hills to relieve stress, then started running to relieve more.  I ran my first 5K event a few months ago and very much enjoyed the event, running with my fitness club. 

Sadly I have developed a shin splint in my STUPID right calf and have been trying to take it easy so that it may heal, only to pull the muscle repeatedly due to my active lifestyle.  Take it easy, do your flexes..... yes I have been doing both!  I have been on the elliptical and swimming in effort to do low impact and pulled my muscle pushing off the pool ladder last week, ugh!!!!

Can't wait to get started again! I am hoping through this blog to make friends who exude a positive attitude, enjoy an active lifestyle and authentic friends.  Looking forward to meeting you all!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 17, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to 2Bpositivelygr8)
    Good day

Congrats on your first 5k and hopefully you will be entering more events in the near future.  Participating in races is usually a wonderful method to celebrate training, connect with other runners and keep the motivation going for the next level or challenge. 

Sounds like you are going great with your cross-training and staying cautious with recovery.  I know injuries can be frustrating, but it is always good to look at other alternatives and stay active.  Building overall endurance is different for everyone, but I started weight-training a few years ago and tend to believe that it has assisted.

Of course, the only thing I can totally recommend is choose your footwear, socks, compression gear, vitamins/nutrition/supplements and so on carefully.  Get several pairs of running shoes and rotate them out frequently for workouts so you are not placing stress/strain on the same areas over and over again.  This will make a big difference in avoiding recurrent injuries/problems with the same thing, for example. 

Probably obvious suggestions, but there are a lot of products marketed to runners and you may to just experiment with some of them to find out which ones work best for you personally or benefit your performance. 

There are many generous members here willing to offer their kind advice and share helpful experiences, so you will find plenty of support and guidance. 

Best wishes and many happy miles!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...