Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

681 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 8:21 PM by brndog RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 17, 2012 1:45 PM

Runs & workouts, Monday, September 17, 2012

4 slow miles at the track, untimed. Sunny with temperature in the high 60s.

Almost quit during the first mile due to increasing right knee pain. But I slowed down to 11:xx or 12:xx mile pace for a couple of laps, then gradually picked up the pace again.

Maybe 9:xx mile pace overall.

Yesterday was a tough day too.

Clearly I can't race with my knee this bad, but maybe I can still do slow runs for fitness. Biking is not an option, because the knee hurts even worse when I try to bike. Not complaining: a lot of people are worse off than I am.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Sep 17, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

DH, have you tried icing the knee?  It might reduce the pain enough to strengthen the muscles around the knee.  Also, if you can you should avoid NSAIDs as all the research I've seen indicates it slows the healing process.   I'll also assume you've tried/or are taking glucosamine.

Schedule called for 3 mile recovery run today.  First mile was slow, but was thinking about doing 6.  By mile 2 was thinking how far is 3.

At mile 3 was thinking try to get to 3.5.  At 3.5 got a tail wind and started thinking maybe 5.  Then I hit an uphill and decided 4 would be plenty and walk a 1.5.  So, covered 4 miles in 38:10 running and additional 1.7 miles walking.  Legs are definitely tired from yesterday, but better then I could expect.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 17, 2012 2:15 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Ray's got a point D.H., with that knee being sore all the time, you're probably suffering from chronic inflammation.  I'm no authority on icing, but I think a regimen of 15 minutes on and 15 off is standard, but no clue how long you should keep it up.

At any rate, good luck.  After 3 weeks at this level it might be time to back off for a week anyway.

Sounds like we're all in recovery mode, I ran 4 miles @ recovery on the railtrail this morning.  Not sure what the rest of the week is going to look like, I'll run a few miles at race pace tomorrow, then take it from there.

Congrats again on yesterday's race Ray...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    3. Sep 17, 2012 3:16 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

DH, I would try ice after every run at the interval Rich recommended.  I didn't use to think that it does much but have changed my mind after using it several times versus not icing. I wonder if your shoes are getting worn out?

Like Ray, I am going to go out for a run somewhere between 3-6, with early betting favoring maybe 4.  I wasn't going to run as I walked eighteen holes of golf, but am feeling good and want to enjoy the cool, sunny day here in MN.  I'm not ready for Rich's 40 degree days!

Mike in Minneapolis

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    6. Sep 17, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Monday, September 17, 2012

Actually, we need to credit Ray with the icing suggestion, I just jumped on the bandwagon.

Good luck D.H., here's hoping you can get this under control in time for your time trial...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    7. Sep 17, 2012 8:21 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Good luck DH.  Ray gets credit for the icing suggestion!  Hopefully it will help.

I went out to run four miles.  Due to road construction, I had to change my route.  With my handy Garmin, I calculated how far I needed to run and when to turn around to head back.  The run seemed long, and I racked it up to having walked earlier today.  As I am a block or two away from getting home, I glance at the Garmin and see 4.94 miles??? Apparently, I...uh... had a senior moment and miscalculated the distance needed from my normal route turn-off to equal four miles total.

Maybe I can fool myself into running a half marathon next time.

Monday     5

Weekly goal 25.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...