Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

628 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 6:02 AM by Dark-Horse RSS
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2012 2:05 PM

Runs & Workouts, Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I guess it'smy turn to start the thread...

Schedule calls for 30 minute tempo run, but I have an extra week - so decided to do more of a steady run at pace. 5 miles with first 3 in 24:45 - 8:15/mi, mile 4 in 7:36 and final mile cool down in 8:46.  1 mile walking to complete the workout.

Race results were out today, Wow!  Talk about a fast field - top 3 for the 50-59 male age group 1:21:23, 1:21:46 and 1:23:01!  Got lapped by the first place runner (1:13:21).  I think my finish was 12/18 in the 50-59 age group and 60/147 overall. Age grade for the run was 63.29% for me (87.5 for the age group winner).  I knew I wouldn't be too close to placing, but I didn't think I'd be almost 1/2 hour out of 3rd!  I'm still really happy about my time...

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 18, 2012 2:29 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Man, tough crowd Ray!  You ran a solid race though, 1/2 hour out of third or not.  And nice workout today to boot, you've bounced back nicely from the half.

6 miles for me today, more practice running at marathon race pace.  I warmed for a mile, then ran the next 5 in 44:52, or an 8:58 pace.  I need 8:57's, so I'm getting better. 

With a week and a half to go 'til race day, I'm getting a little antsy already...lol

Keeping my fingers crossed for Dark Horse and that knee of his... 

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    2. Sep 18, 2012 4:02 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Sounds like good runs for everyone.  The top three times in your half Ray are blazing.  Wow.  Sounds like you had a GREAT race, congrats.

Rich, I can feel the anticipation in your post.  You have to feel good about where you are at training wise, even if you didn't get in all the hills you wanted.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate and not rain or get too hot.

I did 4 miles today, felt ok.  I am taking it easy to try and adapt to running more miles per week.  I can always add some speed stuff later, as my half is not till 12/9.

M-5

T-4

Goal = 25

Mike in Minneapolis

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    4. Sep 18, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to rcuriel)

You guys are running great!

All day long, I wasn't sure I wanted to run today or should run today.

At 8:45 p.m. it was too late to run outside, because the EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis) virus has been found in our local mosquitoes. So I ran at my gym, the Fitness Planet (as I call it).

It turns out that the treadmill is a pretty good running option for me, for a couple of reasons. First, it is springier than the track, so my knee gets pounded a little less, and it is all straight-ahead running, with no track turns to torque the knee.

So I was able to run faster than I expected.

5 minute walking warmup.

4 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 33:57 (8:29 mile pace). Progressive run: first mile in 9:59, last mile in 6:39 (that was tough, because I haven't been doing any fast running).

5 minute walking cooldown.

Icing now. The ice feels great! There's nothing between my knee and the cold pack, but it's not really ice--it's a reusable cold pack--so I think it's OK. Thanks to RAY for the icing suggestion!

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    5. Sep 18, 2012 7:26 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

DH, great workout, and you GOT IT DONE, when it would have been easier not too.  I find the treadmill a less pounding option.

You mentioned running on a track.  Depending on the distance, the curves on a track always wears on my knees.  It helps to run opposite directions, but even still it would get to me.  If I can't run outside, I run on a beatup old treadmill in the basement.

Sounds like the ice might be helping.  Good luck.

Mike in Minneapolis

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    6. Sep 19, 2012 3:56 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Great news D.H., you're going to SMOKE that time trial!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    7. Sep 19, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Thanks, Rich.

Here's why it's key not to run outdoors in the evenings in my area. This morning in the local paper I read about a 70-year-old man in a neighboring town, who has EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis) right now. They have put him into a medically induced coma, but "the prognosis is not good," according to a person quoted. A local horse has already died.

Carried by mosquitoes, EEE has a 33% mortality rate and usually causes significant brain damage in survivors. It is most dangerous for people under 15 and over 50 (that would be us on this forum).

Some local groups and schools have cancelled late afternoon-early evening outdoor activities, including sports events. Home games will be cancelled or played away.

We are waiting for a hard frost to kill the mosquitoes.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...