Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

998 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 3:27 PM by brndog RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2012 7:19 AM

Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My turn...

EEE is really bad stuff DH, you're wise to stay indoors 'til cold weather arrives.

I warmed for 1.5 miles, then ran 7 X 400 X 60 second intervals @ just under 5K pace.  I wanted to run 6, but uh, lost count.  One of those senior moments maybe? lol  Anyway, splits were 1:50, (7:20 pace) 1:49, 1:47, 1:49, 1:48, 1:48 and 1:48, then a 1.5 mile cool down.  I suppose I could go out and run another 1/4 mile to give me 5 total, but will stick with the 4.75...

And here's a link to a good read for anyone interested in running faster http://http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Maximize-Your-VO2max-Training.htm

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 19, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

I suppose I could go out and run another 1/4 mile to give me 5 total, but will stick with the 4.75

I couldn't live with myself if I ran 4.75 miles. I would have to run another lap to make it 5 even. Not that I'm compulsive or anything.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    4. Sep 19, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rich in NH wrote:

Trying to make that link work...http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Maximize-Your-VO2max-Training.htm

Rich, good article; I have made it a favorite in my folder of Running links.

Last night when I ran my last mile on the treadmill in 6:39 with 1% incline, I may not have been far off my current VO2 max. During the mile I was not sure I could complete it without slowing down--felt very uncomfortable. However, I hung in there desperately. Partly it was sinful pride: I thought, "I should be able to do this."

If I can do more fast training, I should be OK for next month's 2 mile running event as part of my Army fitness test. It's age-graded; at my age of 54, all I have to run is something like 14:49 to get the max score of 100 points. Depends on my knee.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    6. Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The VO2 Max workouts sound painful.  I guess I'm not doing my intervals right, too much rest time inbetween.  I gotta ask tho,

55 seconds in the 5K and is that 1 minute 22 seconds on the 1/2 or 1 hour 21 minutes? 

DH, man a 6:36!  Smokin!  Haven't braved going that fast for a whole mile.  But, I guess if you want to run fast, you gotta go fast.

6 miles today.  Didn't feel very lively at the start so figured instead of my speed workout I would just try and run for about a 10k time.

First 2 miles have my major hill work and was trying to push the pace going up and at bout 2.5 miles was getting a head wind.  Hit 3 miles in 26:30.  Felt ok so decided to try for a negative split and at 3.3 miles got a tail wind.  Mile 4 in 7:58, mile 5 in 8:11 and mile 6 in 7:38.

Total time 50:17 for an average of 8:17.  Finished it off with a .6 mile walk. 

Ray

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    8. Sep 19, 2012 3:17 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

No run for me today. Played golf and walked a hilly course.

I played with about twelve guys in their 50's - 60's.  Only three of us walked.  A number of the riders smoked and many complained about aches and pains.  Go figure.

It is sad that so many American's are overweight and out of shape.  We are lucky indeed to be "runners"!!

Mike in Minneapolis

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    9. Sep 19, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to brndog)

Great article on Vo2 max traing.  Thanks Rich.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...