Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6936 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 12:57 PM by Lynnie808
newbie092012 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2012 4:02 AM

Running to Lose weight?

Hi All.

Has anyone taken up running to loose weight, and if so has it worked for you within the time you went from your couch to running 5k's?

• sheree80 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2012
    1. Sep 12, 2012 9:50 AM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

Running is one of best forms of excercise.What you have to consider is when you start the run you have to do it at a gradual pace to build up endurance. It may take couple of weeks or months, that depends on your activity level. For me it took about 2 months. I have been doing jogging/running/walking intervals on the treadmill since summer of last year and when I first started I could not get through 2miles.  Now I reach 4miles in  about an hour and if I have more time I will try to reach 5.5 miles or 6 miles. I do this 3 days a week and I try to get 4 days depending on my time. It has kept my weight down and I gave more energy throughout the day when I run in the mornings. It will help you lose weight also.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    2. Sep 12, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

Most weight loss happens in the kitchen.  In order to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you are burning by activity.  To lose one pound, you need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories  - or about 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week.  Losing 1 - 2 pounds a week is generally considered a healthy weight loss. 

Increasing activity will use calories, but not as much as you would think - about 100 calories per mile walking or running.  More if you are very overweight or running hills, less if you don't have a lot of weight to lose and are walking slowly on the flat.  Combining exercises is a good way to increase your activity level safely - i.e. run 3 days a week, but swim, bike, do yoga, weights, etc. on alternate days.  You'll build muscle and help prevent injury. 

Then you need to combine activity with changes in your diet.  Eat smaller portions, eat out much less often, eat healthier, less processed foods. Keep track of what you eat.  There are good online programs that help you do this, like fitday.com .  Just making small regular changes in your diet can make a huge difference over the long haul. 

A lot of people do lose weight by combining diet with exercise.   But it is usually a long slow process. 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Sep 12, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

I agree with the above advice.  As Ginny suggests, counting calories in addition with inreased activities are the key. 

Metabolic rates are different, but there are two common pitfalls to avoid.  First, do not go below 1200 calories per day (at that point, you are endangering important nutrients, vitamins, minerals and so on that best come from healthy food sources).  The other instinct that is sometimes a trap is the run-reward pattern.  While it is true that reasonable recovery foods are necessary, it is also easy to over-indulge following running or other exercise routines.  This is just human nature, but it can also quickly ruin the calorie defecit that you may be aiming for in terms of weight loss. 

It is a good idea to find those foods that fuel your energy and increase your metabolism, so you may also want to experiment a bit along the way and look into supplements or other nutritional products that are a good match for you personally.  There are some excellent options out there that can assist with the right combination.  Be patient with trying out some of them and give yourself time with diet changes and slowly building endurance.  It will all come together with many positive results.   

P.S...remember that intense activities will sometimes increase those urges for carbs and so on, so try to avoid the refined flour/sugar choices. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    4. Sep 18, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

You've already received great advice here. All I can add is that as you get in better shape you want to increase the intensity of your exercise rather that the duration. Think sprint training. You will burn more fat and have a better toned body. Also, to curb craving make sure to have your post workout meal 4/1 carbs to protein within 1 hour of exercise cessation.

Best,

Personal Trainer Hollywood - Studio City

• feetdominatingpavement Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 3, 2011
    5. Sep 19, 2012 1:19 PM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

I have to add that "My Fitness Pal" is an AMAZING tool to help lose weight. It's tough to stick to, but that's what I'm using to lose weight and it's been great! Basically you plug in what your activity level is (and if you work out for each day) and it calcualtes how many calories you need to consume each day to lose weight depending on how much weight you want to lose a week. I've been using it, as well as most of my family, and it's been very helpful to all of us.

But YES to the posts above, losing weight starts in the kitchen. It doesn't matter how much you work out if you are consuming too many calories!

Cheers!

L Finch

Find me at Feet Dominating Pavement... remember we have Runner's Bloghops on Fridays!

• gyminsight Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 19, 2012
    6. Sep 19, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to feetdominatingpavement)
    Running to Lose weight?

You definitely have to balance running and eating.  When I am at the top of my game, I have found that running is the best form of exercise for me to loose the excess!

Get Fit!

http://www.lifestyle247.com/

Get Insight!

http://www.gyminsight.com/

http://blog.gyminsight.com/

Get Member Billing Saas!

http://www.xefinancial.com/

• La'Shawn L. Doss Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    7. Sep 26, 2012 8:09 AM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

Running alone will not do it, I tried just running once or twice a week and did not lose much weight, but when I incorporated weight training and other cross training activities and increased my running days as well as watching my diet and my portion control, the weight began to fall off.   So, good luck, everyone is different, it is really what works best for you!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    8. Sep 26, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

Two things are needed to lose weight.  We've all heard them for years and they're still true after many years.

A healthy diet and exercise.  There's no shortcut for either one.  I know runners who haven't changed their diet and they lose very little weight, if any.  I know healthy eaters who get frustrated that they don't lose any weight, or it's very minimal.  If you're serious about losing weight, apply both and you'll feel amazing.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Lynnie808 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    9. Sep 26, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to newbie092012)
    Running to Lose weight?

I lost 70 pounds in about 13 months.  I started out walking and doing 5Ks, and built up to my first marathon, the Honolulu Marathon, in December 2011 with a time of 4:41:41. That is my greatest athletic accomplishment of my life, because I had lived a sedentary life for nearly 40 years...a true couch potato.

I wholeheartedly agree that you MUST combine diet and exercise.  However, I didn't deprive myself from anything.  It's all about portion control.  I also love my beer, but didn't drink anything the week before I had a race. (I did 27 races from 5K to marathon in 2011).  Paying for races kept me committed. It worked for me.  I wasn't going to skip something if I paid for it.

If your goal is to race, get a coach or a friend who is a great runner.  If your goal is to primarily lose weight, try to run every other day.  Don't forget to cross train on your alternate days. I did strength/weight training, Zumba (2x a week) or Stand Up Paddling once I got comfortable with my running.  And NEVER forget to take a day off once a week to recover and rest your muscles.

Run with friends.  I needed to have three running partners:  two because they didn't want to run as often as I did, and one because the other two didn't want to do long distances. Friends help keep you accountable on those days when you don't feel like running. I was always better about getting up in the morning if I knew I had to meet someone. (I also like to run in the dark: it's cooler, and I get home in the morning to help my kid get ready for school).

Finally, TALK ABOUT IT!  I posted my run times and race times on Facebook. (My husband bought me a Garmin watch for Christmas when I started running, but there are apps you can download to your phone.  I like MapMyFitness http://www.mapmyfitness.com/). I also posted my weight loss milestones (every five pounds), and made my goals known.  (I never posted my actual weight, but I went from 240 to 169 - I'm 5'9"). Not only will you receive tons of positive reinforcement and encouragement to keep going, it keeps you accountable (they called me on it if I didn't run for more than a few days) AND it inspires others to get active.

My coach wrote an article about me in a local publication, and I got total strangers walking up to me telling me how much I inspired them.  I thought that was amazing. 

http://www.insideouthawaii.com/December-2011/MARATHON-ACHIEVEMENT/  My only regret is that I didn't keep a journal or BLOG about it. OH!  And by the way, I don't love running, it's just the most effective way I have found to manage my weight.  HAHA!

Anyway, good luck!

PS

You can also earn gift certificates for your exercise, if that is something that motivates you...I just found this last week:

http://earnd.it/PZdhoB

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points