Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577437 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,960. Sep 17, 2012 5:28 PM (in response to MelodyLea)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea that was one great long run. I loved those late mileage posted times. "Your There Already"

NRDGIRL "You Rock" I knew that last long run was going to be awesome. WOW!! If it's not to cold in Chicago, wait for me at the finish line. I 'll be the one that's about 52 minutes behind you. lol it's taper time.

Dap36 that's a fast 5k congrats.....

Coyote any luck identifying the bird. Sure looks like a gray Hawk

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,961. Sep 17, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to Webpro11)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Great work everyone - such inspiring posts. 

I don't know whether running is great cross-training for hiking, or hiking is great cross-training for running (both of course!). I certainly feel that running gave me the stamina to handle hiking for 7+ hours - which contributed in turn to a nice strong 4  mile run this morning.  I was in the zone.

Now I just need a good night's sleep.....

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,962. Sep 18, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to Debm2011)

CKLindsay That is such great news! Both the outstanding finish to your half marathon AND the all clear health check.

Webpro11 Thanks!

Debm2011 Congrats for being " in the zone." Yay for feeling fit and strong.

For me, I woke up tired, saw 100% chance of thunderstorms ALL day on the weather report and so I'm resting, hydrating, stretching and cross training on this dark stormy day.

Keep it up, awesome runners!!!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,963. Sep 18, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

CKLindsay - congrats on the clean bill of health and the great run! 

I missed my last 'long run' Sunday before my half next weekend but had a good powerful 4.5 on the treadmill last night.  I was looking at the race course and it has water stations about every 2 miles so if I just concentrate on running from water to water I'll be fine.  Now I'm worrying about all of the external things like traffic, getting there for the 7 am start, etc.    The weather forecast is now for chilly temps and possible rain so I have to get out the long base layers... good thing I ran last winter and have such things on hand.

Tonight is a shorter run plus my Total Body Conditioning class, hoping it will be better than last week's sessions (I ended up helping coach new members instead of getting a good workout myself; I'm not averse to sharing my knowledge but don't expect to pay to do it)

Keep those feet flying!!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3,964. Sep 18, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to CKLindsay)

CKLindsay - congratulations on the Philly RnR Half!  It was a good day for running.  I was there too, with you and thousands of others.  The race was pretty well run all-in-all.  Good luck et Edinburgh.  BTW, the course used to run the other direction, so that would have been a downhill.

Len

Len

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,965. Sep 18, 2012 1:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 28 min. In the rain. It has rained for three days.  Saw one big tree down one mile from house. Only limbs and leaves down in my yard. Its a mess.

Great run CK

Way to go snerb

DAP36 nice PR

Feb 23, 2012
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,967. Sep 18, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

An overnight with the grandson Friday and kid activities at two farms Saturday took out my weekend running. Movie night after work Sunday, and all of a sudden I've missed three days in a row! Had to run last night after work, even though I got home late. Did a nice 5 mile progressive run on the TM. 40:20.

Need some distance runs ASAP.

Dan and CK....... Great jobs to both!!

DebM.... we just booked a weekend in Jackson, NH for Oct 19-21 with a group of friends. Great Glen trails look inviting.

DAP36..... Nice work on the 5k PR!!

NRDGirl......It's nice when your mistakes make your distances/times that much better.

Melody.... I saw a chickadee yesterday.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,968. Sep 19, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - "4 miles 28 min. In the rain." Sounds like a country song.

NRDGirl and webpro - Enjoy your tapers! I know I'm looking forward to mine. A friend of ours is one of the elite women running Chicago this year. It'll be her first marathon.

MelodyLea - Thanks for the photo. It was indeed a Gray Hawk; the painting in my Roger Tory Peterson book shows a more uniform grey plumage, rather than speckled so I didn't recognize it. Red-Tailed Hawks are much more common around here.

Debm - I hear you about sleep. Sometimes it's elusive.

11 miles, 4:30 am, negative split on the out and back. It's great running weather, about 50 degrees. 2 more long runs and 1 midweek, and then taper. Wow. I'm getting a bit excited.

Run free!

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,969. Sep 19, 2012 5:47 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Carbs are good!  I have been consuming carbs again for about five days now and I felt it in my run this morning.  I had a great, but chilly predawn run this morning.  Left the house at 4:40 this morning and it was only 45 degrees.  Got 5.27 miles in 44:34, felt great and no sign of the dead legs.  I was tired when I finished, but felt great.  Keep up the good runs people!

Feb 23, 2012
    3,970. Sep 19, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 26 min. That hurt. I killed those last three hills. HR only got to 160.

Looks like everbody is getting ready for some great races.

Durring my taper I bought a Red Garden Claw. This is a hell of a tool. It will break up ground with rock in it. Kept me from loosing it.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,971. Sep 19, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to NHLA)

I ran a nice strong little 4 mile run this morning. The leaves are turning colors here in New England and in addition to the chill temps, it is SO invigorating! What a great time of year. It's worth every drop of summer sweat to be able to run strong in the fall!

OshCat  SO good to hear that the foot pain was nothing! Had me worried. Just days away now. Best of luck, girl!!

NHLA Thanks for the pics of your relay, I really enjoyed browsing through them! Coolio on the garden claw, and that you garden.

jmsab23 Good job getting that TD run in...the count down is on for you too, isnt it?! Re: You saw a chickadee... I LOVE Chickadees! This is one of my miniature (3x2") paintings of a Chickadee:

Likey?

Old Coyote So cool about the Gray Hawk! I've never seen one. Thanks for sharing it with us. 11 miles at 4:30 am?!? YOU are a machine.

BigSlade Amazing how carbs affect us isnt it? Lately I've been trying to add carbs just before I run (within an hour) then staying low carb the rest of the day. Happy for you that the dead leg feeling is gone. You know Paleo allows for "healthy carbs" like sweet potatoes, etc. 

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,972. Sep 19, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote: In the elite group for her first marathon? That's awesome. Great job on those 11 miles.

WebPro: Thanks so much for the kudos. Means a lot. I'm so excited about Chicago. We're gonna rock it.

Melody: I agree! The fall temps feel so good. It's kinda hard to stop running in these temps.

As for me, I'm enjoying the taper. 5 miles yesterday, 4 today, 5 tomorrow and 12 on Saturday. I feel so alive and free. Fall temps have arrived and the breeze on last night's run was heavenly. I ran with a group at a very comfortable pace. An all around beautiful run. Then I scarfed down a veggie burger and some sweet potato fries with one of my closest running buddies. Hey, I'm carb-loading. haha Good times.

I received my confirmation ticket/participant guide for Chicago in the mail yesterday. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. lol Nothing more than a little booklet containing my bib number--not the actual bib--and start wave. I was a bit worried when I saw some of my FB friends posting theirs because I've moved since registering in Feb and hadn't contacted them to inform of my new address, but they found me. Now that's what I call organized. 

Keep up the great work, guys. You keep me inspired. Happy running.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• gyminsight Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 19, 2012
    3,973. Sep 19, 2012 3:44 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Starting to gear up for the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series!  This year is Strip at Night!  Who is all in??!!

Get Fit!

http://www.lifestyle247.com/

Get Insight!

http://www.gyminsight.com/

http://blog.gyminsight.com/

Get Member Billing Saas!

http://www.xefinancial.com/

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,974. Sep 19, 2012 6:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Great TM run today. Instead of riding into town to do my ladder at the track, I did it on the TM. Felt awesome. Mile jog, then 400, 800, 1200, 1600 and repeat in reverse, all with 200 jogs in between, all at 10k pace (7:07). Sprinted the final 400 at 10 mph.

Will try to get in a long run tomorrow.

Melody.... Excellent picture of the chickadee I saw!! How did you know he looked like that?

NHLA..... 4 miles in 6 minutes? That hurts me just to read it!!!!! That's cruising!!

BigSlade..... So glad you're over the leg thing. That stuff can really be a morale killer.

NRDGirl...... Your runs sound so beautiful, easy, and relaxing. You sound like you have a great time doing them.

Coyote.... Go ahead and get excited!! You deserve it after your training prgoram. Best wishes.

Enjoy the weather, runners. Have good days.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...