Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

938 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 6:47 PM by PineGroveDave RSS
Urbster Legend 760 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 8, 2012 6:56 PM

What is the best player to buy?

I have started doing a lot of Halfs and sometimes there is water from friendly spprinklers or I will pour water on me at the stops.   My I- pod nano is not happy with that so I wonder what is the best player to use that can handle my sweat or rain and not breakdown \.  I am on player number 3 and I gotta get something better.   Are any water proof?

• ydiez Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Sep 9, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to Urbster)

I have been using an Ipod classic for a long long time, I sweat a lot, I have been sprayed, sprinkled and rained on more than a couple of times and it still works like the first day. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a new one (this one is about to turn 9 years old!) but the fact is that this one just works great.

Maybe the problem is the case, how do you carry it? I carry it in a soft armband that I fasten to my forearm, it absorves most of the sweat and/or rain, so maybe that is the secret. By the way, I also used to own one ipod shuffle but it died on me after not-so-many uses.

Hope this helps

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• feetdominatingpavement Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 3, 2011
    2. Sep 20, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to Urbster)

It's not so much about the player as how you carry it. For example, I have an iPhone that I use, as well as a iPod shuffle. I use the shuffle on days when it might rain (hey, I'd only lose $40 instead of $200!!) but I do two things to protect it - I put it into two ziplock bags, and then stick it inside my water-resistant SpiBelt. I did this for a 10k race when I ran in the rain and my player survived. My headphones however were not so lucky........

L Finch

Find me at Feet Dominating Pavement... remember we have Runner's Bloghops on Fridays!

• PineGroveDave Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3. Nov 14, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to Urbster)

I've been running w/ a Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. 50 bucks at tigerdirect.com. Great little MP3 player and you can get a armband and rubber protective sleeve on ebay for 10 bucks. HTH

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points