Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1302 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 4:38 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT
pmorris13 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 4:32 PM

Icing Muscles after Workouts

Hi guys!  I'm new to the forum, but I want your thoughts on this.  I've seen  couple  articles on how icing you muscles after a run or a workout might be counter productive to recovery. I wanted your guys take on this.

Here are the links to the articles:

This article came out last month in RunningTimes, so good chance you've read it.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26720&PageNum=1

This one is from a Crossfit trainer that I stumbled upon looking for more info on the RunningTimes article. The ideas seem transferrable to running.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/people-weve-got-to-stop-icing-we-were-wrong-sooo-wrong.html

Thanks!

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    1. Sep 12, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to pmorris13)

I don't use ice so I can't tell you if it is beneficial or not. I have compression sleeves that I put on for half an hour to an hour after any run longer than 4 miles.

I use the sleeves, not because I'm sore, but to recover more quickly so I can run again the next day.

I also use the sleeves after working my legs at the gym.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Sep 13, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to rb77)

I think the article stated the same thing about compression.  I still use both when needed, but I am slow to change.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,164 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Sep 20, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to pmorris13)

I decided some time ago that apart from anecdotal reports coming from true believers, there wasn't enough data to support the pop-med use of icing. There are too many scientifically based reasons not to ice, but for many, the fact that it numbs pain masqueraded as a cure, which was good enough for the average jock, and a lot of their coaches. It remains important for controlling swelling during acute injuries and sprains, so I suppose it was the familiar hammer that made every other pain look like a nail.

I've been going through a lot of my crap in preparation for a move, and I can't tell you how many straps, sleeves, gel packs, etc. I came across and tossed. Even when I believed in them too, I had one injury after another. The best defense against injury is to learn how your body works, and to gain experience using it correctly. Every other crutch has value largely for the placebo effect. How much external compression, for example, does it take to provide enough support to replace (or substantially assist) dysfunctional or damaged muscles, ligaments, and tendons? Enough to completely cut off your peripheral circulation, that's how much. Any takers?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...