Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

712 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 9:24 PM by brndog RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2012 3:31 PM

Runs & Workouts, Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dark Horse will be relieved to see I ran an extra 1/4 mile today to make up for the "fractured" distance I ran yesterday...

7 1/4 miles, I warmed for 1, then ran the next 6+ at what initially felt like marathon pace, but for the most part was a little fast.  A helping wind on the way out, I hit 9:24 warming up, then ran an 8:43.  That's about 15 seconds too fast, but with the wind at my back I decided to hold the effort.  Miles 3 thru 6 went by in 8:40, 8:41, 8:47 and 8:52. 

At 6 miles I passed the high school and decided to run the h.s. track for one lap to check my pace, I was still a little fast even into the wind.  This little detour also makes everything right in my running log by adding back the 1/4 mile missing from yesterday's run.

Anyway, I ran that lap in 2:12, or an 8:48 pace, so my road splits were good.  Last mile went by in 8:58.

Mike, I have to agree we're fortunate we're willing and able to run.   I thank my lucky stars every day...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Sep 20, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & Workouts, Thursday, September 20, 2012

Rich, good run. I am glad to see the disturbance in the Force has been resolved.

Good runs, everybody. I enjoy the running talk; it gives me food for thought.

No run yesterday, because I wanted to give my right knee a rest. It wasn't hurting, but I thought it was the right thing to do after Tuesday's hard run.

Today I went to the gym and ran 5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 39:27 (7:53 mile pace). That's a pretty good run for me these days.

That gives me 13 miles for the week. Since I am going away for the weekend, that may be all the mileage I get this week. That's OK: I guess you could say I am in my "sharpening phase" for my 2-mile race next month. Seems kind of silly to look back and call three weeks of 20 mpw my "base phase," but it is what it is. We all do what we can. I probably wouldn't have gotten over 10 mpw without the inspiration here.

Today the local paper said a 60-year-old woman has now been hospitalized for EEE. I guess she's probably looking at death or brain damage. More schools are cancelling more activities. Public health officials are calling for everyone to wear long pants and long sleeves and use bug repellent if outside after 4 p.m. This afternoon we called Dark Colt at the library where he was studying and told him to come right home and change. Dark Colt is one of those kids who wears a t-shirt and shorts and sandals until the snow is a foot deep. He was about to head out to a house in the woods for his regular babysitting job, and if any place has mosquitoes, they do. He promised he would come home and change first, BUT HE DIDN'T. So Dark Mare drove to the house where he was babysitting with the clothes and bug repellent, and tomorrow he is grounded. This kid is cocky and thinks he is immortal. Last Sunday he passed his driving test so now he is licensed and dangerous. When I paid the lady at the driving school last week, she said, "Oh, him. We call him 'Lead-foot.'" Just what a parent likes to hear!!! Who remembers this song: "I told him, 'Son, you'll drive me to drinkin', if you don't stop driving that HOT. ROD. LINCOLN.'"

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. Sep 20, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Runs & Workouts, Thursday, September 20, 2012

Rich in NH wrote:

I notice there's no mention of knee pain, is it getting better?

No. But I am icing it after every run, and hoping for the best. Where would we runners be, without a nagging injury to complain about?

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    4. Sep 20, 2012 9:24 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & Workouts, Thursday, September 20, 2012

It turned out being a bike day for me as I promised someone to do so.  We biked for maybe an hour and a half. 

It is an aerobic exercise according to my heart monitor, but it never feels to be as good a workout as running.

The EEE plaque is really a frightening phenomenon, when you have to be fearful just going outside after 4:00.  It is doubly scary when your kids are involved.  I doubt my 14 year old daughter would listen to my warnings.  Be safe, DH.  Plus your times on the treadmill were smokin in my opinion.

I am going to attempt 6 miles tomorrow with a 10 miler on Saturday to make my 25.  Depending on how I feel, I might have to split the 10 between Sat and Sun.  As the running couch Hal Higdon says, "just get the miles in even if you have to walk some of it".  It is important just learning to be on your feet for longer stretches. I  really want to get the twenty five, short of injury.

Rich, hope your tapering is going well.  Sounded like you were running well, albeit a little fast.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...