Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577554 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 265 266 267 268 269 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,990. Sep 22, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

5 miles easy this morning, then drove the Mrs to the Denver RnR Marathon course to cheer. Linuscatch ought to be to her section right about now, in fact. I have some stuff to do with my church, then I'll head down to the expo and meet her.

jmsab - Coyotes rely on our superior sense of smell to find the trail in the dark. Good thing, 'cause I'm near blind in the daylight as it is!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,991. Sep 22, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Who loves the taper? I do! I do! 12 easy miles this morning. This fall weather is absolutely beautiful. I've been feeling a little something in my feet, almost like a cramping sensation that feels like it could be worked out with some massaging. Paranoid about injury, I skipped my 4 miler on Thursday. Put KT Tape on both heels and ankles this morning and ran a very comfortable 12 miles, only feeling it slightly in the beginning of the run. I have a really light running schedule this week, with next Saturday's long run only being 8. Plan on taking it easy this week and using the RICE method to alleviate these annoying aches. Chicago is just 2 weeks away. Yes!

Good look to everyone on your runs/races this weekend. Looking forward to coming back and reading about them. Run strong.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,992. Sep 22, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

11 miles 1 hr 50 min.  FE with a DM friend in Charlotte. Some people you just like. Like you have always known them.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,993. Sep 23, 2012 3:45 PM (in response to NHLA)

The Denver Rock n Roll HM is officially in the books!  My official time was 2:00:49, a 10+ minute PR over my first HM this Spring!  Splits were 60:13 and 60:36 so pretty steady pace overall.  Ran the last 3 miles at 8:50 pace compared to 9:13 average and felt strong enough to sprint at the finish.  Was hoping for sub 2 -hour, but wasn't in the cards today.  I "left it all on the course" so no regrets.

This was a very well run race with over 20,000 HM and FM participants.  Weather was perfect, crowds were great (Thank you mrs. coyote for your moral support, wherever  you were!), and lots of bands along the route.  Ran with two other friends and we all PR'd, including Avery's dad who ran a 1:47+.

Found a local diner and pigged out, now headed for a shower and nap.  Plan to rest this week and then back at it to be ready for Runner's World HM in PA next month.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the race reports from all of you racing this weekend.

Run strong with no regrets, and be fearless in all that you do.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,994. Sep 22, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

CK, so glad your race went well!!! Didn't get to read all of your post, though.

OMG, you guys filled four pages in two days? Awesome, but I will have to catch up later. Am glomming WIfi from the local diner and they are vacuuming under my feet to tell me they are closing so here's the update.

Hudy 14k this morning. The course went through some of the most neglected areas of the city. I criticized Cleveland but the roads here were just as bad but there was a reason. We toured past 14 old brewerys that are either closed or reclaimed and ended at a new one. The medal has a bottle opener on it. Love! It was a relatively easy run with a very fast group. I was really happy with my race. had my best time, 1:59 for 9.03 m., 13 something pace, faster than last week's race, and no major joint or muscle pain. I was run/walking 1:1 with a 12mm pace for the first four miles but tired after m.8. There was a slow hill, must have taken five min. to run/walk, so I switched to 30:30s and was able to run the last two min to cross the finish. That might be a first!! Maybe on the mend?? Or, running is just easier in this beautiful cooler weather. There were only 1,500 or so finishers for the 14k and 80 some F 60-64. I was 50/80. Kinda amazing! I would had to have avg pace under 10 min to make the top three. There was a shorter race (7k) that was very popular and a big party after. This was the kickoff event for Oktoberfest in Cincy so the party just spread out. Reds intend to clinch today also. Lots happening.

Hope you are all enjoying this great weather!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,995. Sep 23, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to mkayc)

NHLA:  I agree. There's nothing like having that chemistry with people. Feels good.

Linus:  Congrats on your PR. Awesome time on that half.

Mary Kay:  Great job on the 14k. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend from that hammy injury.

I used The Stick on my feet yesterday and I'm happy to report it totally relieved that cramping sensation I was feeling. I'm so glad because I was worried. I'm still taking it easy this week and doing RICE. Can't hurt. I think I'll also get a massage. I've been pushing my body hard throughout this training. I'm overdue for some pampering.

Happy running.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,996. Sep 23, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Mel, and OC, I hear you and will be looking for a new doc. Glad it stopped raining so you could enjoy the crispy weather. Good luck with your knee! Thanks for your stretch routine info. I'm having the same ache and haven't been protecting. You've inspired me to get back to stretching. Can't wait to hear about your run with son!

CK, Good to know you're tip top and Congratulation on your first HM and awesome time!! I've now done three and still haven't come in below 3 hr. You signed up for two more RnR HMs? Such a nice collection of bling you will have! Sounds like you might be a teensy bit addicted?

Deb, 7 mi+ hiking! whew! Hope the folks you were with were nice. And, you are back to solid runs. That's great!

NHLA - great pix! You guys were so in the zone! 11 mi in 110 min. Jeessh.

jmsab, sounds like your fun is interfering with your runs. awwww. I may try your ladder run. Sounds like waiting for race day in Maine is a good plan. That's annoying about your water bottle. It's a little overkill for short runs but I love my Nathan's hydration vest! It's not the least bit uncomfortable and way easier than drinking from a bottle. You are sooo ready for your HM. Kill it!!

OC, whoo hoo! Race week is coming. Now that it's darker and chillier, will you be running later? We're getting a taste of your chill and it's a shock but running is soooo much easier. Hope your friend at the Chicago marathon posts her run. I'm able to post mine on fb and twitter so folks can follow while I'm running. Have a cousin or two who check in.

So, BigSlade, glad your runs are feeling great! What do you think was the dead leg cause?

NRDGrl, so excited for you! Hope to be planning my first marathon run next year.  Hahaha on your ode to taper!! Glad your foot is feeling better. Hang in there; it's all done now.

Linus, Great race and race report!! AmAzing time !! You did leave it all on the course! I know what you mean. "It has been a long time since I really set such a specific goal , then worked so hard to get to it." I get that from this group, too. I asked my PT about dry needling. She's heard of it but doesn't do it. Finding someone in Cincy may be a challenge.

Snerb, my race yesterday started at 45 degrees and was to go up to 65. I dressed for summer with shorts and short sleeves and was cold after my run. Many folks came in capri and longer pants which I thought would be too warm but may try next a.m. run.

Next weekend is the White Tail Trail HM with its 4 hr limit. Guess I'll be giving it a try since I have a decent chance of finishing within time. Having trouble getting motivated to run today, though, and may not have another chance for a trail run before. Oh well. Laundry is important, too. Right? Waiting for your race reports!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,997. Sep 23, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to mkayc)

I ran the Brock Trot 5K with my son this morning! What a dream come true for me, running in a race with my 15 year old son. Wow, do I feel blessed. He did really well for his first race, finishing in 30 minutes. I topped my last 5K time at 31 minutes. A GREAT morning for the family. Pics below:

At the start. My hubby jumped in front of the runners about 1 second before the gun went off to get this shot. You can tell by my son's expression that he thought pops was nuts.

A few seconds after my finish

Such a handsome boy!

Debm2011 Nice strong and cool run!

justrundan I never have a happy tummy when I run in the afternoon. I just cant seem to get the early meals right for that.

Old Coyote You are Wiley Coyote with super senses!

jmsab23 Nice job and "kill thoses hills" next week.

NRDgirl I love that you can say "12 easy miles" That just rocks! So glad to hear that pain in your feet has eased up! Thank goodness, right?

NHLA Nice miles and time spent with your friend.

linuscatch YAY! Whoot! SO proud of you!! Fantastic job and another next month? Wow. Nice.

mkayc Look at you running pain free already! That sounds like a really interesting 14K. I'm happy I inspired you! Us ladies of a certain vintage have to look out for each other, you know.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,998. Sep 23, 2012 11:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melodylea - Handsome boy.

Linuscatch - Grats on the PR!

CK - way to go

marykay - I think you're addicted

Twenty-one miles this morning. I like writing that out, it seems so official. Anyway, twenty-one miles, 10:30 pace, LSD for sure. This is my longest run to date and longest week (46 miles). Next week steps back a bit, and then taper. Ahhhhh... I felt very strong at the end of the run. I know I had another 5.2 miles in me. I've had two real good training weeks in a row.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,999. Sep 23, 2012 12:56 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

NRDGirl - you go pamper yourself - you deserve it with all the miles you've been putting in!

linus - congrats on the PR!  Woohoo!

MelodyLea - what a handsome boy!  and a great time in that 5k.  How amazing was it to run with your son? 

MaryKay - brava on the race!  sounds like your hammy is doing very well.  And yes, laundry is important too.

OldCoyote - 21 miles?  Wow!  you are just about there.

NHLA - good friends are hard to find - it's great when you find people you click with.

I had planned 12 miles today, but had trouble getting out of bed.  Around mile 6 I knew I didn't have time to run the 12 mile route, so I ran an extra loop around the pond and turned for home to finish 10 miles.  Got to church just in time.  We then had a potluck lunch afterwards and I came home and took a nap.  Finished the week with 22 miles. 

run strong my friends.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    4,000. Sep 23, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Oh man how I love how I'm feeling now compared to a few weeks ago. Had an awesome 11.8 mile run today in 1:49:53, didn't walk once ran the whole way.  Running has become fun again, no more of the frustration that came with the dead legs and no energy.

Linuscatch-great run for your half. A sub 2 hour HM was my original goal for my upcoming race but don't think that will happen.

Old Coyote-nice LSD, your going to kill your upcoming race.

MelodyLea-glad you got to run son today.

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,001. Sep 23, 2012 4:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

9 miles 67 min. I smoked those youngsters today.

great race linus.

Way to go mary kay

How tall is that boy mel ?

Glad your feeling good big slade.

nice long run OC

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,002. Sep 23, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody-great run with your son.  From the smile in each picture I'd guess you were a little happy!!!  Nice shades too.

Linus-great job on the PR!

Mary Kay- things are coming together very nicely; great job on that run.

slow 5 miles this after church this morning.  Cool enough in WI that it was still a cool 55 at 11.  Planning on easy runs T&Th, then long run Saturday to see if I can try to full marathon on 10/21.  We will see.

Run strong and safe this week friends!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,003. Sep 24, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to justrundan)

Old Coyote Thanks. Wow, that is a LOOONG run! You will certainly be ready for that Oct. marathon!

Debm2011 Thank you. Yes, it WAS so awesome to run with my son. Namely because he found an interest in running, wanted to share it with me and enjoyed himself. Can't ask for more from a teenager! Your 10 miles will work.

BigSlade So glad you are back! Worth the carbs to feel like yourself again, right?

NHLA Re: "How tall is that boy mel ?" 6'2" at 15 years old! My "baby" towers over me. lol

justrundan Yep I was one happy mom! Thanks, Re: "Nice shades too." Is the 10/21 an official marathon?

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,004. Sep 24, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Linus - Excellent half!!!  That had to feel excellent.

Melody - Fun!!!

Good running everyone.  Kudos on the mileage.

My 10k trail run is in the books.  53:15 was the official time, 2nd in my age group (30-39).  As happy as I am with that, and I am, I'm more proud of my son.  He ran the 5k and was first in his age bracket (15-18) with a time of 26:21.  He was pretty proud of himself too, there were several kids from his high school there so I know he wanted to do well.  The course was a single 5k loop and the 10k runners ran it twice.  The trails were as technical as I thought they would be, not an easy run.  It was cold, 38 degrees at 9:00 when the race started, I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to over-dress.  I wore my favorite running shorts and my favorite short sleeved Nike technical tee.  Before the race started I was freezing, by the second mile I was very comfortable and I didn't get cold again until after my run had finished.

Side note, that was my last race in the 30-39 age bracket, turning the big 4-oh this week.  When the day gets here, I'm going to sit down with a cocktail and reflect.  It was in June of 2010 that I made the choice to turn things around for me personally and work to get healthy before my 40th.  I've accomplished that, and it still feels excellent.  For anyone that cares, my first actual 'run' (which I define as leaving the house for the sole purpose of running) was Fathers Day of 2010.  I remember it well and still think about it a lot, I made is 1 lap on the track (1/4 mile) and thought I was going to die.  I walked home from the track with my tail between my legs.  The next morning before I got in the shower to come to work I weighed 273-lbs.  I was in shape, 'round' is a shape.  I was also taking 4 different meds for different things, BP, heartburn, etc.  I kept running at that track because it was easy to track improvement based on the number of laps I was able to run.  My only goal with those runs was to go farther than the previous, even if it was only 10 yards further.  On 8/22, a little more than 60 days after I started actually trying to run, I ran my first 5k(I didn't use C25K, only because I didn't know about it).  I don't remember the exact time off the top of my head, but it was between 30 and 35 minutes.  As I'm typing this today, I was 196-lbs. this morning and I don't take any of those four meds any longer.  I'm of the opinion that healthy is a choice, and I continue to make that choice everyday.  It feels excellent!

Next event for me is the very difficult Wrut-N-Run on 10/6.  That ski hill kicked my rear-end last year, looking to kick-back this year.  I'll be training at my favorite ski hill and working in some longer (6+ miles) runs for the next two weeks.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...