Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49576 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS 1 2 3 ... 23 Previous Next
Laurarunning Amateur 69 posts since
Mar 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2012 4:56 PM

Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

I did C25K a few years ago and loved it.  Part of what worked for me was the structure of the running program-- it let me see my progress immediately-- and part of it was a small group of newbies I got to know and compare notes with.  Anyone starting C25K around now and want to be part of an online group?

The challenge for me before was continuing to run after I completed the program.  Life got in the way and I stopped pretty quickly.  So that is a big thing I'm going to focus on this time.

Basic introduction-- I'm 49 (want to be running before my 50th bday this spring!), work in sedentary job, and have one child still at home who keeps us busy with kid activities.  I mostly feel like a wub and would like to lose about 20 pounds.  My eating patterns naturally improved last time I did this and I'm hopeful they will this time as well! 

I am headed to the gym NOW to do the first run.  I walk regularly with a friend but think it will be discouraging to see how hard it is to run even 60 seconds.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Laura in Missouri

• Mamafreedak Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 23, 2012
    1. Sep 23, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Me! Me! I just started C25K a few days ago. I did my second run today, and I already felt so much stronger! The first run was ROUGH. I almost didn't do the last running segment, but I pushed through (even though I felt like I was going to vomit). I'm glad I did :) Today it felt like no big deal to finish the running parts. Difficult, yes, but not like imminent death.

I am a 31 year old stay-at-home mom to two little girls (almost 4 and 1.5). They keep me busy and moving all the time, but I'm not in very good shape. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 145 lbs.; I'd like to lose 15-20 lbs. I've been trying to make it to the gym, but my kids do NOT enjoy child care. I've even tried 3 different gyms trying to find a child care they would tolerate! We live way out in the middle of nowhere, so just going to the gym after hubby comes home from work isn't an option. I've always scoffed at people who run (I mean, who does that for fun???), but I figured it was the only way I'd be able to exercise right now (I can't stand workout videos). Guess what? I LOVE it! I find myself wanting to go for a run constantly! I got my first pair of running shoes yesterday, and they are amazing.

Anyway, I'd love to have a virtual buddy or group. How was your run, Laura? I hope it was easier than you expected! I'm looking forward to seeing more activity on this thread ;)

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 1: Complete! 9/25/12
    Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:
    First 5K Scheduled 11/17/12

Sep 23, 2012
    3. Sep 23, 2012 8:27 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Yay for a good run! I am running in the mornings, ideally before the kids wake up but before hubby goes to work, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday/Sunday. I downloaded a free iPhone app, too--the one by Zen Labs. I really like it so far! It doesn't track distance, either, so I have no idea if I'll actually be running 5K by the end. Honestly, I don't really care. I'm just excited by the idea that I'll be able to run for an extended period of time without passing out!

Are you planning on actually signing up for a race at the end of the program? I'm having a hard time finding a local one at just the right time.

Happy running!

Amanda

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• KDenn Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 9, 2008
    4. Sep 24, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I just started this morning.  I'm just about to turn 42 (next week) and decided I really needed to do something about my weight and fitness level.  Let me just start out by saying I hate to run, but figured it was something I could do with little cost, and no real speciality equipment required.

Well, I am so glad that I found C25K.  I probably would have tried to just start running, and not done very well, hated it and given up.  I really think that I might be able to do this program.  I was so surprised how each 60 second run segment seemed shorted than the last, and that I wasn't completly exhausted by the end of it.

The couple of times I felt like stopping before the 60 seconds were up, I just told myselft that it couldn't be much longer and before I knew it, I was done.

I'm almost looking forward to Wednesday's workout!  (of course that could change depending on how I feel tomorrow!)

Sep 23, 2012
    5. Sep 24, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm so glad we're all starting at the same time! It makes such a big difference to have a support group. I've done weight watchers a couple of times, and I always fail when there's not someone doing it with me. Speaking of which, anyone wanna do weight watchers with me? <grin>

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• firefightinlibrarian Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    6. Sep 24, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm just getting started today! Running that is...not weight watchers.

• chizaa8 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    7. Sep 24, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I just started this morning!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    8. Sep 24, 2012 4:52 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi! I would love to join you all for a online support group sort of thing! I started last Thursday, and just finished week 1 today!

A little about myself... I'm 23 and work a very sedentary job, and have not had a regular exercise routine since I graduated from highschool! So, at this point I am very out of shape. Though luckily, not too overweight (5'4", 135lb). I'm not really doing this for loosing weight though (though, that would be nice), I am just sick of feeling so out of shape and want to prove to myself that I can run a 5k if I stick with this! It will also be nice to be in shape for any hiking or other fun outdoorsy activities that come along in life.

Like KDenn, I thought this program would be great because it is free!! No gym or equptment costs- yay!!

I've been taking my dog out running with me these last few days, but it is starting to get cold. I would like to keep running outside to get the Vitamin D and enjoy the outdoors-- anyone have thoughts on running in the cold? Just throw on some layers and a hat?

Good luck guys!

• runningsoon4sure Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 25, 2012
    9. Sep 25, 2012 5:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Howdy! I am starting the program today. I would love to be a part of this group. I absolutely need the support. I have wanted to run for as long as I can remember but I have never made that first step. I am a 36 year old mother of 4. I am 5'4 and I weigh 171lbs. My goal weight is 130lbs. I have joined a gym and I have a track near my house. I have a friend that started this program about a year ago and her weight and her health changed greatly! I am about to go do my first walk/run...D1W1. Wish me luck!  I feel a bit intimidated but I am going to give this a shot...I look forward to talking to you all more and going through this journey together

Good luck everyone!!!!!

Sep 23, 2012
    10. Sep 25, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I finished Week 1 today! Woohoo! I threw in an extra minute at the end and extended my cool down just a bit. I even aimed for my runs to be uphill I'm a little terrified to move on to Week 2, but I'm hoping I stay just as motivated. It's darn hard to get out of bed at 6am when I have two warm little girls snuggling me!

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• runningsoon4sure Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 25, 2012
    11. Sep 25, 2012 8:52 AM (in response to Mamafreedak)

Congrats! You will do great on week 2 Uphill runs? You are WAY ahead of me...I did not even finish my first day today and my knee is really hurting. You go girl!!!

• mary0522 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 25, 2012
    12. Sep 25, 2012 9:15 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I am planning on starting today. I am determined that I am going to do this. I have NEVER been a runner, but it is on my bucket list. No time better than the present to make a difference.

Sep 23, 2012
    13. Sep 25, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I should define "uphill". I really mean teeny-tiny inclines on my gravel road that no one else would ever notice When I told my hubby that our road was hilly, he was supportive and said something like, "Yeah, it really is!" When I told my mom the same thing (she lives with us), she said, "No, it's really not." She keeps it real.

My knee hurts tonight. I don't actually think it's the running, though. A while after my run, I wanted to do some yoga. I let my 3-year-old pick the workout, and she chose lower body. We all three did it together, and it was a total cluster. I had to twist in weird ways because the kids were under me, and I'm pretty sure I just stretched something weird. I hope that's it, at least!

runningsoon4sure, I'm sorry about your knee! Do you have existing knee issues, or is it new?

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• jenn_0324 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    14. Sep 26, 2012 5:53 AM (in response to mary0522)

I'm going to start today. Just brushed off my sneakers and will be heading out here in a bit.

Mamafeedak, I've been doing WW for a bit now, so you can look me up online if you want (same user name).

Good luck, all! This is my first time ever attempting something like this, but I have high hopes

1 2 3 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...