Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

664 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 11:01 AM by Rich in NH
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 23, 2012 1:31 PM

Runs & workouts, Sunday, September 23, 2012

10 miles for me today.   I didn't know if I should run easy or @ marathon pace, since they both seem to be the same lately.  Warmed with a 9:24 first mile, then ran a couple miles @ marathon pace.  Mile 4 slipped to 9:01 and mile 5 to 9:11. 

Really wasn't enjoying the run much, but dug in and ran mile 6 in 8:55, so back on pace again.  At this point, with 4 miles to go I dropped the pace and ran 8:24, 8:32, 8:24 and 8:23.  I've read when you're feeling lousy sometimes it's best to throw in a surge and it'll get you feeling better.  It actually worked today, I was on the verge of scrapping the run.

Congrats. on the 10 miler Mike, you did well.   And I wanted you to read this... http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=23014 It's an explanation of cut-back weeks and how they figure into training.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    1. Sep 23, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hey Rich, thanks for the link to the cut back article.  It was a good read and informative.  Are you following any particular training plan for your marathon i.e Hal Higdon etc.?  Your training sounds very disciplined and focused.

I walked the golf course today and felt good.  I am surprised at how well my legs feel.  It might very well be the new semi-minimalist shoes I'm running in now...could that be? Hmmm. 

Welcome back DH.  Were you victorius in the chess game?

Mike in Minneapolis

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    2. Sep 24, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to brndog)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Sunday, September 23, 2012

Rich, have to remember that when not feeling so good

Mike, might be.  More likely the work you've been putting in...

Sunday was a long day, up at 5:30AM trying to make the 6:00AM hiking group.  Didn't and son was NOT happy.  We departed with the 6:30AM group and hit the trail just before 7:30AM.  Beginning elevation was 7,000ft +/- 100ft.  About a mile in we had to have a photographer take a group picture and my son was told he could go ahead and try to catch up with his friend who had left an hour before us.  My wife and I got to the peak just before noon (~6.5 miles and elevation 10,200ft +/-).  Word from people we were passing was that our son had flown by, jogging and/or walking fast and had indeed caught up with the group that included his friend.  At the top wife and I had to decide how we wanted to return, either doing whole loop (~10.5 miles vs the ~6.5 which we already did).  We decided on finishing the loop.  Turned on the GPS watch (forgot before we started) and we headed down.  We were sort of taking our time coming down and I started to complain a bit, the elevation had given me a headache and I probably hadn't eaten enough.  Wife asked if it was ok to jog, I foolishly said yes.  We did a walk/jog combination for the next 1.5 hours, made up for earlier slow poke time and caught up with several earlier groups of hikers. Lots of up and down and we made it back to the car around 4.  Watch got the down trek at 10.6 miles and 3200ft drop.  Fitbit recorded the entire outing at about 42K steps, 450 Floors and 16.9 miles.  Probably jogged 2-3 miles on the downside.  Son was waiting for us at the car and had been waiting for ~2 hours (friend's sister had car keys and we passed her about 1/2 way down).

So, about 17 miles of hiking, lots of up and down at elevation and body feels it much more than the 1/2 last week.  4.5 hour drive back to the bay area and hit the sack early.  Hopefully, a recovery run later today.

Ray

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...