Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

645787 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 ... 327 Previous Next
  • rseil Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,005. Sep 24, 2012 6:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hi Lucie,

Congrats on the success of your conversation thread. I did the Hudy 14k this weekend as a training run for the Cincinnati half in October. What a blast. I wish that I didn't have to work later that afternoon or I would have sticked around for th Octoberfest Party. My Nike Ipod tiuch was a bit erratic (to say the least) so I ended up running at about my .5 maraathon goal pace of 9min/mile because the app kept saying that I was running anywhere between 9'30'/mile to 11'30'/mile----quite a difference!!!! But I still feel good a few days later so it was worth it. I have been recovering from a knee injury since th Flying Pig Half in May (getting old stinks--recover SOOO long) and finally have almost zero pain in my left leg by the knee after long runs.

I hope that this posts correctly-it's my first post here on Active.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,006. Sep 24, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congratulations on the great runs everyone!  Melody that is a very nice looking boy, do you have to beat the girls back with a stick yet? 

My first half-marathon is now done.  I was DANG cold before the start, but I saw people in tiny running shorts and worried that I would get too warm but I never really did.  I pushed my sleeves up during one sunny section but when we turned the corner heading back into the wind the sleeves came back down and my gloves went back on.  About halfway I saw a mailbox with the last name "Lamb" on it and thought of Melody, so thanks for being along on my run!

I was on the final straightaway, finish line in sight, when i was passed by a car that had a timing clock on it.  First thought was "holy cow, that's the elapsed time??" i actually teared up a little thinking i was this close to the finish at such a good time!  then it hit me WHY I was being passed by a car - it was the pace car for the marathon leader.  He passed me just shy of the final chute.  DANG!!  However since he started at the front of his pack and i crossed the starting line 4 min later my overall time was less than his (small consolation, he did go twice the distance)

I expected I would finish somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00, but I actually came in at 2:33:50 so I blew that right out of the water and shocked the dickens out of myself in the process.  11:44 overall pace, first 5k was at 11:15 so apparently I came out a little fast... can't complain.  My quads are a little stiff this morning but that's really the only residual. 

This year's goal is now accomplished!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,007. Sep 24, 2012 9:16 AM (in response to OshCat)

Snerb Really nice time on the 10K trail run and I know you must be so proud of your son! I'm hoping my son will continue reaching for more races, goals and PRs. I really enjoyed reading about your adventure into health and wanting to reflect when the big 40 rolls around. What a gift you've given your son, to be healthy and able to share running with him. **Pats on the back** to you!

rseil Welcome to this great group! It's very informal but we all get SO much support from each other. Your post came through just fine. Nice job on the knee recovery and the race.

OshCat Actually, (regarding my son) the girls do seem to think he is pretty cute. My son really doesn't get how handsome, talented and kind he is. His humility just makes him that much more adorable (of course, I'm not biased or anything)! SO good to hear about your great half marathon! Your experience gives me hope!! If I can hold on to a sub 12MM on my half, I'll be quite pleased! By the way, I read so much about IT Band issues and (thanks heavens) found that mine seems to be resolving with very concentrated stretching, icing and rolling. I was a little panicked yesterday that the pain hung around for quite a while after just a little 5K. But this morning, there is nary a twinge. So, fingers crossed!

Run strong!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,008. Sep 24, 2012 1:39 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks, all for good wishes on recovery. Hammy is doing fine today. YAY!! Great PT!

Mel, I just looovvvved the pix of you and your son!! It's so neat to see his expression go from apprehension at the start to satisfaction and then confidence after the race. Hope he has a long run with running.

OC - 21 mi!!! and gas left in the tank! You are doing amAzing!

Deb, ten miles is a fantastic run and then you got it all done, too!  I'm home napping after 10 mi.

Big Slade, so glad you're having fun!

NHLA, is it my imagination or are you still getting faster? 9 mi. in 67 min.! Meep meep?

Dan, it's getting cool here but much colder there. You've been running mighty strong. I'd be very surprised if you weren't ready for that full. 

Snerb, Thank you for the Great story! Quite impressive commitment and persistence!! Inspiring! Losing 77 lbs. is huge! Good luck next weekend on that Wrut, Run, n Kill the hill run. If only I could run trails at your speed ...

Rseil, I'm in Cincy and ran Hudy 14k and Pig HM also. My time was a tad slower. Went to Oktoberfest after the race and the crowd was ridiculous starting around noon. No room to move. I guess for some that's the idea but not for me. Are you planning any more races this fall?

Awesome congratulations to you, OshCat on your first HM!!! Great time and pace!! Sometimes the day after a race has a let-down like the day after a holiday. Did the race compare with what you anticipated? Did you enjoy the actual run?

Well, legs are feeling very good, except for minor knee pain. WhooHoo!! Saturday is the dreaded White Tail Trail HM so yesterday I pushed myself out the door and into the woods, cliche intended, and only had enough energy for three miles. Might have done more but got lost and bumped my forehead hard running into a horizontal tree that was hiding behind my baseball cap brim. Bushwacking takes time and I was cold. I know now to dress warmer but don't know if that will be enough to get me to the finish. I have to be under 18:42 mm overall to finish in 4 hr. On easy trail, I can keep under 15 mm but what goes down must come up and there's no guarantee someone will be in front of me showing me the way to go. 

Run strong and fierce, my friends!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,009. Sep 24, 2012 2:02 PM (in response to mkayc)

run tkt.JPG

Hudy 3.JPG

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Oct 4, 2011
    4,010. Sep 24, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to mkayc)

Thanks Mary Kay. I agree, there is a real difference in my son's expression-post race. LOVE the running vioaltion pic. Got a great laugh from that.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,011. Sep 25, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

rseil - Welcome to the group! Kick your shoes off and join in the discussion. Don't worry about interrupting - we don't stand on formalities.

BigSlade - With that time in your 11.8 mile training run, you should be able to break 2:00 in a half. If you step up your pace just 8 sec/mile, youll do it.

OshCat - Getting a half on the books is a major accomplishment! Enjoy the glow.

3.18 miles, 30:56. A nice, slow run on pavement, just to move some today. Planned 12 miler tomorrow early am. The training plan calls for a tune up race this week, but I'm not going to pay 50 bucks for a 10k bib. I'll do a simulated race instead, and some striders also this week, and a 19 miler Sunday. If God wills it I will do these things

Run free!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,012. Sep 25, 2012 6:18 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay - The race itself was great, the part that was a bummer for me was not having my cheerleader there.  I had other friends who ran but the crowd was so large I was never able to find them before/afterwards, so I pretty much went it alone in a sea of people.   I still have the 'glow' of personal satisfaction and pride in my accomplishment, but two days later is when I'm now getting sad that I didn't have someone to share it with and really celebrate.

BTW, Love your finisher medal and the Violations! $100 for hydration belt in a 5k LOL

Quads are still a little tight, so I'm still keeping things light for a couple days.  I did some light cardio on the spin bike last night to try to loosen things up; tonight my grass is getting mowed, that's sort of a whole-body workout in my yard.

Coyote - $50 for a 10k bib??  That's steep.  I have a similar opportunity coming up in 2 weeks but it's to run a 10k across the Mackinac Bridge in MI.  I realize the logistics involved but since there's no charity beneficiary I won't be doing it.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,013. Sep 25, 2012 6:52 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 24 min.

James neighbor killed over on the table. His heart stopped.

James did the Hienwick manuver on him and he came back to life.

James you saved my life what can I do for you?

Vote for Obama.

James is black and very clever and his neighbor was the head of national security under Reagan.

After two weeks he begged James to let him out of his promise and James let him off the hook for a $250 bottle of Scotch.

I ask him why did you let him off and he said Obama is going to win anyway.

Oct 4, 2011
    4,014. Sep 25, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to NHLA)

I just ran a really strong, beautiful-beautiful fall morning 4 miles. I stretched out my IT band before AND during the run since there were some steep up and down hills. I discovered later that both my middles toe nails have turned black and my shoes are already worn down. Problems of adding more miles I guess. I heard about a place in NYC called Jack Rabbit (I think) that films your stride and foot placement to custom match your shoes. I may zip down to the city after my half marathon, visit my sis who lives there, and try out Jack Rabbits for new kicks.

Old Coyote I agree about the $50 entry, that IS steep. Especially since it's really a training run for you. Maybe you could run it without a number? I'm not sure if that is frowned upon or not.  I better check Mary Kay's list of running offenses!

NHLA Fast AND funny!

OshCat I can understand how not having you cheering team there would be disappointing. Sometimes our significant others don't "get" how important these things are to us (although I think you mentioned yours was unable to attend) My last 10K, hubby dropped me off down the road from the start and then went out for breakfast, I didn't see him again until the very (I mean very) finish. lol It's all good though.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,015. Sep 25, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OldCoyote - $50 for a 10k is too much, I'd keep my money too.

Melody -

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/19562220/views/1,width=178,height=178,interlace=true/trail-running-who-needs-toenails-t-shirts_design.png

Ran 4.5 technical miles at my favorite winter ski hill.  The leaves are really changing in Central Wisconsin and the weather is perfect for running.  Going to get in a 6 mile run tomorrow evening, then a short two mile fun run supporting our corporate 'Community Caring' campaign.

The topic everywhere today is the end of the Green Bay/Seattle game on Monday Night Football.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,016. Sep 25, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Had some life going on the past two days, but I jot 25 minutes on the bike while watching the Patriots-Ravens game Sunday night (ouch), and a 4-mile tempo run on the TM last night (31:40). Ran/walked the dog after work tonight, may still get a TM run in.

Snerb..... Your story is amazing. I read it all, then re-read it aloud to my wife and was amazed again. BIG congratulations, and a very happy birthday. And you can feel proud for your son (and you), too!!

Oshcat.... Awesome job on blowing the goal time out of the water!! Excellent work!! And I'm in the same boat as far as clothing this Sunday with my HM and the fall morning temps here in Maine -- could be in the 30s, but could warm up quickly and be in the 70s when I finish.

NHLA..... Last year I ran one mile in 6 minutes, but I was ready to dial 9-1-1 when I was done!!! Great running!!!

Melody.... Running with an offspring feels special, doesn't it?  Congratulations!

Mkay.... Is there any part of your body that you haven't bumped, pulled, nicked, strained, torn, bruised this year??? You are one tough young lady!! Good luck with the Trail HM. Please report that you finished without getting hurt.

Coyote.... You have a pretty tough training program. I'd like to be able to do all you do. Keep it up!!!!!!

rseil... Lemonade Lucy isn't around anymore, but welcome to the group.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,017. Sep 25, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Snerb - great story.  You should be so proud of yourself - and happy birthday in advance. 

BigSlade - glad you're running strong again

OshCat - WooHoo!  What a great time! Bask if  your accomplishment - you've earned it. 

OldCoyote - $50 for a 10K?  Ii wouldn't do it either.  If they want that much money, there better be a champagne brunch and massages afterwards.

MelodyLea - a strong run IS a thing of beauty.  good luck with the toenails.

MaryKay - loved the running violations ticket!

Could not drag my sorry butt out of bed this morning,so I figured I'd go for my run after work.  That was a mistake.  It was warmer than I thought, my legs wanted nothing to do with it (both calves totally tight and never loosened up), even my breathing didn't get in sync.  3.5  miles done but it was not pretty.  I might haved walked more than I ran, but it's all good - time on my feet, lessons learned, looking forward to Thursday when I will drag my butt out of bed to run in the dark like I should. 

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    4,018. Sep 25, 2012 7:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Something happened after my run today. My legs felt muscular. They feel fit as if I have been doing something miraculous.

Has anyone else had this feeling?

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,019. Sep 25, 2012 8:30 PM (in response to Snerb)

Snerb sorry I missed this post.  Way to go.  I lost 100lbs before I turned 50.  Wish I had done it sooner.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...