Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

678 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 7:25 PM by brndog
rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2012 2:02 PM

Runs & workouts, Monday, September 24, 2012

It was supposed to be a recovery/easy run and for the most part is was.  6 miles in 55:00.  First 3 in just under 28, mile 4 9:05, mile 5 9:36 and mile 6 in 8:20 the 2nd half in sub 8 pace.  Body still feels tired from Sunday, but not as bad as last Monday.  Not sure how much to push the rest of the week, figure tomorrow and Wednesday and 10K is on Friday.

Rich, feeling as I did the 2nd half of you run sounds much more impressive!  You're going to kill your marathon.

DH, how did the tournament go?

Mike, taper time.  Sounds good too me.

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 24, 2012 3:18 PM (in response to rcuriel)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Monday, September 24, 2012

Not that I'm an expert Ray, but I wouldn't think you'd want to run too hard the next couple of days.  Where you're still not at 100%, easy runs might be your best bet.  Can't wait to hear how this 10K goes.

With my marathon just 5 and a wake-up away, it's time to get serious.  I'm supposed to run around 30% of peak mileage this week, but doubt it's going to happen.  That would be 21 miles, which doesn't sound like much, but I plan to take both Thursday and Friday off and run just 2 miles Saturday to stay loose.

Today's run consisted of 3 miles @ recovery on the railtrail.  I want to run 6 tomorrow and 5 Wednesday with 3 @ race pace.  That's only 16 total, but I'd rather err on the side of too little if I'm going to make a mistake.  Anyway, that's the plan, now we'll see if I can ignore my running shoes when they beg to go for a run Thursday...lol

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 24, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Happy Monday, everybody!

I just got done reading about everyone's adventures over the weekend. Sounds like you all kept very busy. Mike, congrats on getting in the 25 miles, and it sounds like you are still like a young colt in some ways. Rich, you are doing well with your taper, and I look forward to hearing great things about your race this week. I agree with you that it's better to err on the low-mileage side this week. Ray, I enjoyed reading about your "peak" experiences.

Since you were kind enough to ask, the chess tournament was fun. It was held in a big old Adirondack inn called the Will Rogers Center in Saranac Lake. A small group meets there every Wednesday night for chess, about 6-10 players most weeks. This was their first attempt at holding a weekend tournament. Six people showed up, and we all played four games. The entry fee of $18 included lunch in the Great Hall, which is a very high ceilinged room with arching wooden beams, divided into a dining room and a lounge for reading and relaxing. I was fortunate to win all four of my games and pocket the first-place prize of $36. I was a little embarrassed because I wasn't playing to win money; I was there because my friend, who caretakes my property up there, was the event organizer. I try to visit him once a month, and I timed this month's visit to coincide with his chess event.

4 miles tonight on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 36:26 (9:07 mile pace). Five minutes walking to warm up and the same afterward to cool down. Now both my knees feel like they are warm and buzzing: that's the only way I can think to describe it. I think I will ice first one knee, then the other one.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. Sep 24, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

I forgot to mention: a local woman we know died of EEE yesterday. She was a longtime member of our church, and we have been to a party or two at her house. She was sparkly, cheerful, and just 63.

Last year she had a bout with cancer. She was in remission recently, but apparently the cancer treatment had weakened her immune system, and this is probably why the EEE killed her.

Her husband is principal of a school in southern New Hampshire. A couple of years ago he was Principal of the Year, not only for NH, but for the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Now that's a distinction.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    4. Sep 24, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Ray, I enjoyed reading about your "hike", er, half marathon endurance contest!!  Way to go, 16 plus miles of changing altitude, running on a trail, and feeling less than 100%. Wow.

As DH commented, I would err on the side of fewer miles this week prior to the marathon, Rich.  I really believe in the rejuvenation that some rest gives me, plus there is not any loss of stamina in a week that does include some running.  Tell the running shoes to chill out and get ready for the big day! 

The gun slinger chessmaster rides into the little outpost and walks away with the big prize money, gotta love it! Way to go, DH.  Hopefully the buzz in the knees doesn't turn into pain and that the ice does the trick.  It was very sad to read of the death of your town mate to EEE.  What a strange disease to confront.  Time for a good freeze to get rid of the carriers.

I did 4 miles today at a slow pace, which seems to be my pace lately.  I am trying to focus on getting more miles in to build up a base, and then start some speed work.  My best 1/2 was 1:58 a couple years ago, and I am sure some of the interval stuff I did beforehand helped.  I would love to be sub 2hrs in Dallas at the half 12/9.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...