Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1030 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 1:35 PM by Jasko123 RSS
meads828 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2012 6:06 PM

question about heel pain

Hi,  I started running in early July of this year.  After about a month (say, mid august) I moved from heel strike to mid foot strike.  Now the bottoms of my heels hurt after I run.  I don't understand, because my heels didn't hurt when i was a heel striker.  Now, all of a sudden after moving to the mid foot they start hurting.  My feet are by no means flat; but I wouldn't say my arches are higher than average either.  I run in a pair of standard issue New Balance trail runners.  Does anyone know why I'm experiencing this pain?  It doesn't hurt when I'm running, only afterward when I'm walking around the house.  So weird.  I'd love to hear some thoughts on this!  Thanks!

• Haselsmasher Legend 508 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Sep 24, 2012 9:37 PM (in response to meads828)
    question about heel pain

One possibility:  With midfoot and forefoot strikes the calves get used more than with a heel strike.  So it's possible that the calves are getting used more and are tight.  Tight calves can be a big contributor to heel pain.  In fact, having heel pain after the run fits this possible scenario since your calves may be tightening up post run.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Sep 26, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to meads828)
    question about heel pain

You may want to try heel cups and/or arch support straps...even an evlaution for custom orthos/inserts.  Are you only running in the NB trail shoes?  If so, you need to rotate them out with other pairs (possibly other NB models or even other brands and so on).

Try compression wear or other support gear for recovery, as well as running, since the pain seems to appear following your routes. 

Wishing you all the best.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points