Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2612 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 7:20 PM by SuperTech14
TylersMom2004 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2012 7:04 PM

3rd Week Runner Newbie

Hi all, first time on the boards. I started my running/walking routine 3 weeks ago. I signed up to my first 5k in December and I'm comitted to do it. Im on week 3 where I run 1/2 the track and walk 1/2 the track. I do that for 2 miles. This is my 1st week doing so. I took a rest day yesterday and did about 30 min of Yoga. Today I went out to do my run/walk about a hour earlier than I normally do and before I ate lunch ( I usually eat first) I made it One mile today and my right side calf was KILLING ME!!! I didn't feel that I stretched a muslse and who knows if I did. Im 155 and about 5"6 so Im not that overweight but my goal is to loose about 20 lbs... I don't know if I over did it or what happend, we were a bit cooler today I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I came home and iced it and its much better now but a tad sore. Any advice out there for a newbie?

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    1. Sep 25, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to TylersMom2004)
    3rd Week Runner Newbie

Welcome to the boards!  I'm no expert but maybe it is your gait.  Sometimes, if we don't land just right, it has repercussions elsewhere.  For instance, I am an underpronator.  I have high arches so I tend to strike on the outer edges of my feet and that started causing knee pain after I started getting deeper into C25k.  The age of your shoes could also be a factor.  Or, it could have just been a fluke?  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html this link explains about runner's gaits.  Good luck!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Sep 25, 2012 12:56 PM (in response to TylersMom2004)
    3rd Week Runner Newbie

It is probably an over-use/adjustment issue, but try a calf compression sleeve or compression socks.  Those assist with support and circulation. 

Muscle strain is very common, and the yoga, other cross-training and stretching should be of benefit.  Also, hydrate more and take a close look at all your vitamins, minerals and supplements.  Often times, it necessary to increase the most obvious things like Vitamins C, E and calcium, potassium, magnesium, Zinc (and possibly Iron).  The body quickly utilizes or looses important nutrients with the rigors of running and through perspiration with intense workouts, so taking the right combination will be of assistance and help with building endurance.   

I also agree with the suggestion to check your shoes...that is a top priority for avoiding injury.   

Just take things slow and experiment with some running gear along the way....you will find the best possible arrangement and best wishes for your first 5k. 

• MarioCobian Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2012
    3. Sep 27, 2012 6:31 AM (in response to TylersMom2004)
    3rd Week Runner Newbie

Hi TylersMom!

I'm pretty new to the boards as well, but I've been running for almost a year. I have to agree with the shoes, and the gait comments. I have two pair of shoes i run in. I have a pair of nike lunar glides that are pretty good for on the road, and new balance trail shoes. My stride is completely different when I wear the nikes! not the best pair of shoes for me, but I'm kind of a cheapo and don't wanna waste the money I spent on the nikes. lol. Looks like I'm in for a new pair of shoes though, getting knee pain when i run in them. Anyhow, that is just my experience, the right shoes will definetly make a difference.

As far as my runs go, I'm pretty much a 5k and obstacle racer. Considering stretching out to 10k's this coming year. Completed my first Spartan race this past june and it was a blast. Can't wait till the next one.

Best of luck to ya!

• SuperTech14 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    4. Sep 28, 2012 7:20 PM (in response to TylersMom2004)
    3rd Week Runner Newbie

Welcome! I'm a newbie too, but I agree with the compression socks/sleeves (I just started wearing mine and I love them) and getting good running shoes. Have you gone to a dedicated running shoe shop? They will watch how you walk/run then fit you in the best shoe for your gait and foot placement. I've also been reading a lot about doing a foam roller massge after a run, but I haven't gone there yet. I've had some issues with aches and pains off and on and I just slow it down or even take some time off. It's taking me a little longer than planned to finish my "nine" week training program, but I only have 2 weeks left! 2 5K fun runs scheduled in October-yikes!

Best of luck to you!!

Monica

Started C25K July 14, 2012

Upcoming 5K's:

World's Largest Corn Maze - Oct 14, 2012

Run Like Hell - Oct 25th, 2012

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...