Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1516 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 8:51 AM by runningsoon4sure RSS
runningsoon4sure Rookie 6 posts since
Sep 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2012 7:41 AM

W1D1...OMGosh!!!

Ok, so...today was hard! Am I the only one that did not finish my first run? I stopped with about eight minutes left. I was so dissapointed in myself. I went to the outdoor cement track in my neighborhood and I realized very quickly that this running thing is very hard! Does anyone have any advice for a extreme newbie? I have never ran in my life...not even as a child. I could sprint like the wind but to get any distance out of me was futile. I want this so badly and I will not give up but wow do I have a long way to go. HELP!!! I have a heart condition that makes it very dangerous for me to be overweight but I am having such a hard time getting my mind and body in line with my plans for my future health. I am 5'4 and I weigh 171lbs. My doctor says that I need to weigh 125-130 to lighten the load on my heart. I hope that I do better next time..should I start on the treadmill instead of the track? What is the right way to breathe? What worked for you?

Any help is greatly appreciated...as I hope to be a Couch to 5K success story!

Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Sep 25, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to runningsoon4sure)
    W1D1...OMGosh!!!

I will say that one of the most common problems for beginners is running too fast, that is, faster than the body is ready to run.  So SLOW DOWN!  Most guaranteed to help.

Len

Len

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2. Sep 25, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to runningsoon4sure)
    W1D1...OMGosh!!!

Keep plugging away at the program.So you stopped with 8 minutes remaining. Perhaps tomorrow you will stop with 7:30 remaining. That is a gain and progress.

You are a self-admitted non-distance runner. As everyone here will tell you, running is a mental exercise too.

Not only does the body need to be trained but the mind too. Small gains and the big picture/perspective are always important.

You did something yesterday you did not do the day before. That is a gain.

You may have to do week one a couple times. Do not worry about that.

Happy running

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    3. Sep 25, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to runningsoon4sure)
    W1D1...OMGosh!!!

The best advice I can give is to just keep at it.  If you didn't complete the day, do it again on your next scheduled day.  The program does a great job of getting someone from the couch to running, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done in the 8 weeks.  The main goal for most of us is to add some exercise into our lives, so the way I see it is that if you are out there doing the best you can, then you are doing way better than if you were just sitting on the couch!  It does work if you keep at it.  I went from not running at all in May to running 4 miles every other day now.  I would also suggest jumping onto the C25k board for September starters.  Group motivation is great!  Good luck!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• archersAU Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    4. Sep 26, 2012 4:32 AM (in response to runningsoon4sure)
    W1D1...OMGosh!!!

I just did the same as you, this evening - W1D1, and trust me - you're not alone. That hurt. I recently (27 July) quit smoking, and I figure life already sucks because of that, why not go all out and ruin it by doing exercise, as well. I thought it would be easy - 60 sec / 90sec? Yeah, no worries - how bad could it be? Apparently, it could be quite bad.

So, don't feel you've failed - the bloke above who made the comment "You did something today you've not done yesterday" is spot-on. Put it this way - I'm an aussie male, who's not over-weight, and I did it on predominantly flat roads - and I thought I was going to throw up at one point. If you pulled up short at 17 minutes - that's 17 minutes better than you've ever done - why feel like you've failed? Celebrate the fact you've started.

Ok, supportive statements aside, I'm going to go hold my aching shins now Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...