Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

579 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 4:37 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2012 2:47 PM

Runs & workouts, Tuesday, September 25, 2012

6 miles easy on the railtrail today.  Every Tuesday a group of local runners gathers at noon for a run and that's who I ran with today. 

There were 9 of us total and one a seasoned marathoner and long time coach.  I asked for his recommendations for running this last week of taper before my marathon and he suggested I run this Thursday.  He also said if I was running speedwork every week in training, I should also run a shortened version of it this week.

Soooo... there's been a change in plans, I'm going to run a SHORT interval workout Thursday.  Probably 3 miles total with a mile warm-up and cool-down and four 1/4 mile repeats.   I'll run 'em nice and smooth and keep 'em at 5K pace.

This guy was a 3 hour marathoner back in the day and well regarded here in the running community, so I value his opinion a lot.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Sep 25, 2012 4:29 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich sounds reasonable.  Keep the body doing what it is used to, but easier.

Early run with an old friend who is here for the week.  Nice easy slow 3 miles.  Took a 3 mile walk at lunch and was carrying my sweatshirt under my arm (took it off after a mile) and a yellow jacket decided the sweatshirt looked inviting. Then complained because my arm was interferring with her comfort This is 6th bite in last 3 months this year!  Even after icing arm swelled up so figure I be safe and hit the emergency room.  I now have an epipen for emergencies and insttructions to take benadryl when I get home (would have made me take it there but I was driving).  So much fun to be had...

Ray

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 25, 2012 7:18 PM (in response to rcuriel)

Rich, some fast running on Thursday sounds reasonable, if you don't overdo. That way, your marathon pace will feel nice and easy, right?

Ray, I hate getting stung. Haven't been stung for a few years, but the last time, my arm swelled up quite a bit.

4 miles on the treadmill tonight, 1% incline, in 35:58 (9:00 mile pace). Five minutes walking before and after.

Got to ice both my knees now. I think if I was really a horse, they would shoot me.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    3. Sep 25, 2012 9:40 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

No stings, ice, tapers or runs for me today.  Decided to take an off day as I am only going to run 17.5 miles this week, as a cut back week.  I really feel good and had a strong desire to run, which is a good thing.

I am thinking about following, roughly, Hal Higdon's intermediate 1/2 training plan, starting with week 5 on to coincide with Dallas 12/9.  The plan incorporates a little speedwork, mostly intervals and some tempo.  I am moving towards speed work a little sooner then I thought as I feel great physically.

I think there is a little marathon coming up this Sunday up in NH...

On Saturday, I'm going to run a 5k in Beloit, WI.  We are visiting our freshman daughter at Beloit College over the weekend and the school is sponsoring the 50th Olde English Classic cross country race.  Even has a pistol start fired by the school president.  Should be fun.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...