Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

484 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 3:37 AM by Rich in NH
Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 27, 2012 3:40 AM

Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I cut today's intended run short by a mile, with another run planned for tomorrow and legs that are a little stiff today, I thought it best to back off just a bit.  Four miles, warmed for 1, ran 2 @ race pace and cooled for 1.  Splits were 9:25, 8:48, 8:46 and 9:27.  I ran the race paced stuff a little fast, but felt ok.

Shortly after I got home, I looked out my window and saw this odd looking critter standing along the tree line a 100 yards from my place.  My ground floor is my garage and the living space is on the 2nd floor, so I can see quite a lot out my picture window.

It dawns on me after a minute I'm looking at a coyote and he's standing across the street at the edge of my neighbor's lawn.  Beyond where he's standing is woods and 100 yards beyond that is an overgrown field.  It's obvious this guy's hunting, his ears are laid back and he's taking one tentative step at a time, surveying everything around him as he does.

Coyotes are a problem around here, there was just a story on the news the other day about one killing a miniature Doberman Pincher and wounding a second one.  The dogs' owner came to the rescue just in time to see the dog that died fall and also saw the attacker, a coyote.  And Eastern coyotes are nothing like their Western brethen, these things can weigh in excess of 50 pounds.

Add to that the fact my neighbors own cats and I decide I've seen enough.  Down the stairs I go, throw open the door and take after this guy at full speed.  Being the coward that he is, he turns tail and heads for the brush.  I in turn, give up the chase and head back towards the house.  One last look back and he's standing back at the edge of the trees again, right where I'd first seen him.  A second sprint towards him sends him on his way for good.

So, that was my good deed for the day.  I can't imagine what tomorrow will bring, work is never done for us superheros...

Message was edited by: Richard Davis

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    1. Sep 26, 2012 3:24 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rich, maybe the wily coyote was looking for the roadrunner...you! 

Pretty, sunny day here in MN in the 60's.  Went for a 6 mile run with a couple little fatlek runs thrown in, the first one being somewhat "inspired".  I live by three beautiful city lakes so I have numerous runners out there to share the path with and to be inspired by.

I did feel a little twinge in my calf when I picked up the pace, which reminded me to ease into it.  That was not the case a few years ago, but apparently is the new reality. Oh well, adjust and move on.

My wife is trying a modified C25K plan on the treadmill with a lot of initial cajoling by me.  She is now getting into it a little bit which is way cool.

Mike in Minneapolis

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Sep 26, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to brndog)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Wednesday, September 26, 2012

If we get a stuffed coyote on wheels and drag it along in front of Rich for 26 miles, he is a cinch to qualify for Boston.

I wonder what "inspired" Mike to run fast today. Probably better not to ask.

4 miles for me on the treadmill, 1% incline, in 34:31 (8:38 mile pace). 5 minutes walking before and after.

Aches and pains during and afterward; what else is new?

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...