Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

953531 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 ... 315 Previous Next
  • suzeecat Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012

What a great pic, Marie!  You are looking so fresh and cool, and that guy looks like when Roseanne Rosanadanna says "I thought I was going to DIE"!!!  LOL!!!  Steve, it looks like a pretty pink GymBoss (run:walk interval timer) that Marie has clipped to her top.

I just love coming here to read all the race stories and I learn something from every one! 

I had my long, 20-mile training run last Sat.  I could have run with my training group but it would have involved an hour drive each way, and I just wanted to dig in and get it done, which is what I did, on the streets near my home that I have been doing most of my runs on.  I was so thankful for the cool, crisp fall morning and started out just before daybreak.  4 hrs. later I was done, and not feeling too awfully bad!  I'm so glad to have that behind me and to know that the "experts" believe that if I can run 20 I can finish the marathon. 

When I got home, my feet were sore, which surprised me because they didn't hurt when I was running and they've never bothered me before.  Then, the discomfort (wouldn't really call it pain) moved up to my knees, again which didn't bother me during the run, but they responded nicely to a couple of ice packs.  That night and into the next day my hips started to get sore, and they responded well to some foam rolling and ibuprofen.  Since it seemed that everything was moving upward I was half expecting a headache, but luckily that didn't happen and I had a good 5 mile run last night.  The first 1/4 mile last night I felt a little like the tin man, all sore and creaky, but warmed up pretty quickly. 

Now I'm getting really excited for Chicago!  I confirmed my hotel room and am looking for the race packet to arrive in the mail any day - they said they were being mailed mid-September.  That will REALLY make it real!!!

Sue P. (age 57)

Started running January, 2012

First Marathon, Chicago 10/7/12 - 5:53:31

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Belated welcomes to CEF62 & azdrawdy! Glad to have you join our little band of mighty masters. CE, you might ck out some good 10K or One Hour Runner training programs to get you a schedule to increase mileage in a safe and systematic manner. AZ, sounds like you have a good base already established and great motivation from the wife and reasons to stay healthy. Some may call it vanity, but I call it thriving through survival!  I had to chuckle reading about your array of colorful shoes.

I'm so impressed with you guys! All of you who just ran HM's and others who are ready for their full marathons, WOW!

Steve, yep,the little pink box is a gymboss interval timer. I took it for the race but wound up not using it. Congrats on your race.  I really enjoyed your race report!

Mary Kay, way to go!! Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with walking if needed. You completed a half marathon in a respectable time, which is way better than the vast majority!

Dan & Ray....congratulations to both of you on great races!

Tony, 26 mile training run.... whoo hoo! You are soooooo ready for your full monty!

Sue, you are ready too for the whole shebang! I'm so excited for both of you guys!

Nan, so glad to see you back. We've missed your posts, but really sorry to hear the back is still giving your such grief! Glad you are able to continue running and doing well. Do take care!

This has been a down week for me. My achilles has been sore and too much junk food has had the body out of wack, but getting back on track and enjoying the cooler temps.

We've had torential rains today and yesterday, so since the heel was tender, I did my workout on the stationary bike. I'll be GLAD to get back outside to run tomorrow!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

I thought you all would be interested in this from Runner's world.

Whitlock Runs World Record 1:38 Half At Age 81

By Scott Douglas

Ed Whitlock celebrates after setting the 80+ half marathon world record. Photo Graham Paine/Milton Champion

Canadian Ed Whitlock, 81, added to his collection of world records on Sunday by running 1:38:59 at a half marathon in his hometown of Milton, Ontario. Whitlock broke the old 80+ mark by 29 seconds, despite resuming regular running only in the weeks before the race.

Whitlock fell on ice last November and broke a rib, one month after lowering his 80+ marathon world record to 3:15:54. He missed months of training and didn't resume his famed routine of daily two- to three-hour runs in a nearby cemetery until mid-summer.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• docparker Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010

Howdy all,

I've been using Active Trainer now for a couple of years and just found this wonderful thread.  I just turned 61 (Sep 5th) and have been running since high school.  In June 2010, I had a heart attack which required triple bypass surgery.  After the surgery, it took me two years to get back to running 25 minutes and losing 65 pounds.  June of this year, I broke my ankle and had to start all over again.  I'm back to running about 30 minutes at a time three days a week using the C25K plan.  I finish the plan 10/1 and have a 5K race on 10/6.  I hope my major ailments are behind me and I'd like your opinions as to where I go from here.  My plan is to go to a plan to improve my 5K and get ready for a 10K.  Suggestions?

Michael 'Doc' Parker

doc_parker@tx.rr.com

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

MKay,  I think it is unusual, but not unheard of.  Timing worked out in this case.  Legs are a little tired this week and the 10K is next Friday so we'll see if it works or not.

Tony, Don't know if there is any secret to anything.  Sure helps to run in cooler temps.  SF on Sunday was foggy and low 50s for the run (burned off about 2 hours after the run).  I normally train in 80 degree weather (near San Jose) and it's a big difference.  But, to give you and idea how fast the field was I finished 12/18 for the 50-59 group. #1 was 1:21:24, #3 was 1:23:01!  That first time is age graded at 87.5!  I passed two old guys at the end, they turned out to be 54!

Marie,  Only 27 years to drop 10 minutes off my 1/2 time  

Sue,  Are you starting to get nervous?  Not nearly ready to attempt a marathon again.

Doc, there are lots of training plans out there with lots of different philosophies.  Do a search, look at them see which one fits you the best and then stick with it, remembering to listen to your body.

Feel like I'm mostly recovered from Sunday's run.  Couple of good runs this week, but yesterday turned into an rest day.  No runs this weekend - Hike for a Cure on Sunday.  Here's a picture of one of my pairs of shoes.Vibrams.jpg

Ray

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

1:38 @ 81, Geez! I bet he runs a very even race - cranks it up and just keeps going until the finish line. He must have a great mental attitude!

I've had a pretty good week of running, even after reading about Mr. Whitlock . Morning temperatures are finally in the 60's and the humidity is much lower. Yesterday I bought a new pair of shoes, Brooks Pure Flow, to replace my current pair. They're PURPLE! I also bought a small LED flashlight that clips onto my ball cap to help me see the sidewalk/road during the predawn hours. Even with the improved visibility, I took a tumble this morning - a hard one. The sidewalk took an unexpected dip and rise and my foot just ran right into it. I crashed onto my left shoulder, skinned my elbow, hand and knee. When I got up the worst pain was in my shoulder and hand. This was at mile three of a sixteen mile run. I knew my shoulder would probably recover quickly but I was a little worried about my hand. I figured I would take it easy for a bit and if I couldn't shake it off pretty quickly I would just call it a day and reschedule the run. Well, it only took a few minutes to recover,except for my hand, but I could eventuall bend my fingers so I finished the run. It was a beautiful sunrise and I felt so lucky to be alive and out enjoying it.

The thought ocurred to me this morning that if I were running the marathon in early October, I'd be starting taper right now. But I also realized that I would have had two really long runs in the heat, so I'm glad I decided to throw in the towel on the October race and settle for a November Marathon. I got through a 20 mile and a 23 mile run training for October, then pulled back and have now run 12, 14 and 16 and have felt much more comfortable. I plan to do three more long runs of up to 20 miles each. If I feel strong I may push the third one a bit farther, but I'm not going to stress about the miles. Listen to the body, listen to the body, listen to the body!

Good luck to all of you running the Chicago Marathon in a few weeks. May all enjoy wherever your runs take you.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Nancy - so glad to have you back!! Congratulations on your AG win! It's a good thing!! I've done Bikram. Sweat like a pig and kept sliding on the mat because it was wet, which I believe is counter productive to having a mat so I avoid it. I have a cousin and some younger friends (in their 20s) who *love* it but in truth none of them have stayed with it more than 6 mos.  Try it! Then if you decide to commit, there is a new book on some of the dangers of extreme yoga and how to protect against them.

Tony - You have been such a consistent and devoted training machine. I can't wait to see the payoff you get in your race. Nice when I see you all acknowledging your other half's support. I was dating at the beginning of 2012 pretty seriously and he felt neglected and moved on. I sensed it was happening and made a conscious decision that I couldn't do both and the training came first. If training is so time and energy consuming that it kills a new relationship, when folks are trying harder to impress each other, it must be wreak havoc on a settled one. 

MD - AF registration opens in January 2013. The HM didn't sell out this year until May so jump on it but don't sweat being able to get a spot. Every year the medal has a different plane.

Sue - Glad to hear your marathon training went so well!! Enjoy your taper and have a fan-tas-tic race!!

Marie - Hope you figuratively got back back on track this week!! One of the guys in the running group I coach has achilles problems also and has gotten some relief from stretches but he's really babying it. Achilles tendon pulls must be really painful. Hope it isn't still bothering you. Thanks for the pic and story of Ed Whitlock. I'll send it to my doctor, before I fire him.

Doc -  Sounds like you have a good solid plan. I started in that way, also and discovered you can work on your speed and build a solid 5k race result or you can build on your distance. So, moving on to 10k is not the only option.

Ray - Is that a worn spot on your one shoe? I'd bet you go through a lot of those, being so close to the ground. Hope your races turn out great! Columbus is coming and I still need to make arrangements for a room. If I can't get any closer, I'll stay near the airport. Will you be running the full or half?

Urun - It's a shame about the fall. Nice rebound, though. There are baseball caps out this season with 4 LED lights built into the brim. Bought one for $30 and I expect to get a lot of use out of it. "Listen to the body, listen to the body, listen to the body!" So True!!!

The cool weather is so refreshing!! Hudy 14k this morning. The course went through some of the most neglected areas of the city. I criticized Cleveland but the roads here were just as bad but there was a reason. We toured past 14 old brewerys that are either closed or reclaimed and ended at a new one. The medal has a bottle opener on it. Love! It was a relatively easy run with a very fast group. I was really happy with my race. had my best time, 1:59 for 9.03 m., faster than last week's race, and no major joint or muscle pain. I was run/walking 1:1 with a 12mm pace for the first four miles but tired after m.8. There was a slow hill, must have taken five min. to run/walk, so I switched to 30:30s and was able to run the last two min to cross the finish. That might be a first!! Maybe on the mend?? Or, running is just easier in this beautiful weather. There were only 1,500 or so finishers and 80 some F 60-64. I was 50/80. Kinda amazing! I would had to have avg pace under 10 min to make the top three. 

Enjoy your runs out there!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

@RobP in Canada: haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope your training is going well!  I sent you email through this sight with a plan for a meet in Columbus. Hope you check the site and read it. The email tab isn't obvious. I've had an unread message in my queue since May and didn't know so I'm posting also to let you know.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

URun- Glad you weren't hurt any worse on that fall.  Even with a light it can be tough at night; just not enough light to give good definition and detail to see those small things that trip us up.  

Mary Kay-good job on your 14K!

2 1/2 day conference in Nashville and driving there and back put a crimp on running this week.  I did get in 3 miles while down there, running around the perimeter of the Opryland complex.  The weather was mild today after church, 55 and breezy, so I ran a slow but enjoyable 5 miles in the late morning.  This week I'll try to get back in the groove and then try a long run Friday or Saturday to see if the full marathon is even an option for 10/21.

Run strong and safe this week friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

urun:  I'm glad your fall wasn't worse.  I thought you might say you have a broken collarbone, but apparently you escaped without major damage.

Mary Kay:  Well done on your 14K.  Your pacing strategy is working well.  Did you get beer afterwards?

I took it easy last week after my HM, just some healthclub workouts and treadmill walking with hills.  Fall is starting for real here in Chicago, so we're seeing lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 50s/low 60s, good running weather.

Everyone have a good week of training and preparing for upcoming races.  This is a great time of year to be a runner in the midwest.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Dan~FULL MARATHON!?!?  It looks like I have some major catching up to do.  Congratulations on your first HM! 

It has been 7 weeks since my last confession......errr, post!  Since the Active email notifications stopped and my crazy fall schedule I haven't had a chance to check in.  After reading pages of true inspiration. I just have to say BRAVO to all of you!!  You made it through a summer of scorching temps, injury, surgery, heart-break and dissapointments, but you all kept moving forward.  You are worthy of the title, "Mighty Masters"!

Ran the inagural Brewers Mini Marathon starting and finishing at beautiful Miller Park on Saturday.  Very happy with my time of 2:24:22, almost 7 minutes better than my first HM in May.  Very well organized event with live music on the route, incredible voluteer support and the famous Klements Racing Sausages!  Will try to post a full RR later.

Run strong, friends!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Brewers Mini Marathon race report

The 7am start was delayed 30 minutes to allow a severe weather system to pass through.  Temperatures were in the mid 40s and moved to the high 50s at race end.  WNW winds at 15-20 mph, gusting to 30 mph.  Decided to wear a long sleeved tech t-shirt, went with a running skirt w/ compression shorts vs. capris, hat and sunglasses to keep rain and wind out of my eyes and the Brooks PureFlows on my feet..

Ran the race with a friend who encouraged me to begin running 2 years ago.  She is much younger (31) and faster (8:20 pace)  than I, but was coming off a season of hamstring and hip flexor issues.  My "gentle" pace was a good match for where her training is at present.  It was great to have a buddy to converse with, encourage one another and enjoy the route together. 

At my urging we line up with the 2:30 pace group at the starting corral located at the Home Plate entrance to Miller Park.  It took us exactly 6 minute to cross the start line, and we began out 13.1 journey.  The rain had decreased to a drizzle and by the time we reached the 3 mile marker it had stopped.  The route took us from Miller Park east through the Menomonee River valley to the new Harley-Davidson Museum, then returning west traversing the viaducts over the valley back to Miller Park.  Feeling strong at mile 3, we decided to pass the 2:30 pacer and move up to the rear of the 2:20 group.

Several live bands were scattered along the route - nothing like the Rock-n-Roll series, but it was great to hear a wailing saxophone and occasional guitar riff for motivation.  The Klements Racing Sausages were line up at near the Miller Brewery aid station for high-fives!

Used Hammer Raspberry gel at 45 minute intervals at mile 4.5 and 8.25, and 3/10 water stations at mile 4.75, 9 & 12.  Taking brisk walk breaks at each.

Part of the final mile was entering Miller Park and running the warning track to the cheers of family & spectators inside.  What a thrill!  Video of the runners were projected on the HD scoreboard.  Is that the Grand Canyon - NO, it is all the laugh lines on my face.  Argh!  Could have done without that, but my friend looked fabulous.  Exited the stadium via a carpeted ramp and out of the stadium for the final 1/4 mile and finish. Time was 2:24:22 and 28/53 in my division.

I felt strong to the end.  I guess all of the training miles in the heat/humidity this summer had paid off.  Big hug from my DH who biked most of the route. Great post race party w/ an awesome finisher's medal, great band, pulled-pork sandwiches and a cup of Milwaukee's favorite beverage.  Good times!  Home to an extended session with the foam roller, hot bath and celebrate with dinner at my favorite French bistro.

Recovered the following day with a 15 mile bike ride and walking 4 - 6 miles each day since.  Hope to run this race again next year.  I second Steve's statement,  I feel blessed to be healthy and able to do this.

Run strong, friends!

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Debra! Congratulations on your Mini Marathon and new PR!!!

Marie! Great picture and you do look strong and fresh! I have the blue Gymboss and Love it!

Tony!! Enjoy Taper!!! Remember the first rule of tapering is DO NO HARM!!! Even though you may feel like getting out and doing a longer or faster run...DO NOT DO IT!!! Arrive at the start line healthy and rested! I cannot wait to hear about your Marathon! You are so right..A full marathon is a totally different animal from a Half Marathon.

Mary Kay! Congratulations to you  on your HM and also to STEVE on your 3rd place finish in your AG!

Everyone else is doing awesome also! To many pages to go back and read, but you are all AWESOME!!!

As for me...I have been running alot, playing with grandkids alot and traveling with my husband alot! I have missed a couple of long runs and I do not regret them. We also have lives outside of running.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Debra:  The Brewers Mini-Marathon sounds like a fun race.  I live 50 miles NW of Chicago, so I'm not too far from Milwaukee.  I might look into it for next year.  I know this was its first year, but how many runners were there?  Also, did you park at the stadium?  Is the route flat or are there some hill sections?  Since our paces seem to be similar, it would be more fun to run with someone, especially if your friend regains her faster pace by next year.

mimiisarunner:  You are right that family comes first.  Keep running to stay healthy so they have you around for a long time.

Nine miles yesterday morning in mid-50s temperatures.  I made the mistake of wearing a black long-sleeved top under a bright green t-shirt; after a few miles the sun came out and I wished I had worn my arm warmers instead so I could have pushed them down to my wrists.  I'm learning to take tissues with me since I tend to get congested by three or four miles.  Probably five or six miles tomorrow and maybe another longer run over the weekend. 

Bears vs. Cowboys next Monday night.  If the Bears win, I might start to think they are for real.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Debra-  Way to go on the mini-marathon.  that does sound like lots of fun-and on  my birthday too!  My wife and I love to have a reason to spend a weekend in Milwaukee.  That may be one to put on my schedule for next fall.  The run through the valley sounds fun, and finishing through the stadium sounds like a blast.  I hear you on the jumbotron picture!!  The look on my face when I finish a race is not made for HD big screen.     lots of reasons for the hoped for marathon on 10/21; I'll send you a note explaining.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Actions