Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59533 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 23 Previous Next
  • RhondaWants2Run Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 11, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 26, 2012 9:10 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Hello All,

This is my second attempt at C25K - I started about a year ago and made it through 3 weeks before I hit a wall and ended up quitting.

This time I'm going to do things a little differently. I intend to stick with a day until I can run it fairly comfortably. So I have done Day 1 of Week 1 twice now and it feels pretty good, but I want to do it at least once more before I move to Day 2.  (Last time I often felt like I was barely able to complete a day, but would go ahead and move to the next day and in the end I think it just caught up with me.)

I am 43, and need to lose about 40+ pounds. I have never been an athlete and had never run until I tried C25K last fall. I'm hoping that by taking it slow, listening to my body and not worrying about a time schedule this time I can complete the program. I would LOVE to be able to say that "Yes, I'm a runner." I love the way I feel after I have completed a run, it's just the run itself that seems to suck. <g>

I can say from the last time, this board and having a group to chit chat with is a huge motivational plus. It really helps.

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    17. Sep 26, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi everyone!  Looks like I'm in the same boat as several of you: mid-40's, need to lose about 25 lbs, and I would like to call myself a runner.  Glad to find a group who is focused on getting through this program together.  Let's cheer  each other on and hopefully we'll all make it to the finish line!

• Mamafreedak Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 23, 2012
    18. Sep 26, 2012 5:43 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

So, here's to not rotting!!

Hear, hear!

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 1: Complete! 9/25/12
    Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:
    First 5K Scheduled 11/17/12

Sep 23, 2012
    19. Sep 26, 2012 6:06 PM (in response to Mamafreedak)

On a side note: I'm totally new to this community, so I just set up my signature and stuff. Does it look to bulky? Is it silly? Constructive criticism appreciated!

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• Philly170 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    20. Sep 26, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all. I think I'm in the same boat as a few of you... never really liked running and need to lose about 30 lbs. I am however older than most of you (just turned 56) I'm doing this more as a challenge for myself.  A good friend who was not a runner a few years ago just completed a half marathon and has done 2 mini triathlons. Even though she is about 15 years younger, she has inspired me.

I started the C25K program on Sat. I completed W1D2 on Monday.  W1D3 should have been today, but it started raining, so I'll do it tomorrow. It is difficult to run (who am I kidding... Jog. :-) but I am determined to finish this program even if it takes longer than 9 weeks. I am also taking Zumba three days a week and WW Online. I'm glad I found this group, I am going to need all the encouragement I can get. It's nice not to be doing this alone.

Good luck to everyone!

(btw, very sore inner thighs and calves is not stopping me.)

Sep 23, 2012
    21. Sep 26, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Not meaning to monopolize this thread, but I'm just giddy about this whole program and group, so I feel like talking a lot ;)

I'm doing W2D1 tomorrow, and I'm nervous! Each run is 90 seconds--yikes! I think I'm going to take my dog with me for the first time, too. She definitely needs the exercise since she eats all the stuff that my kids throw on the floor.

Also, I MUST cut back on the soda. Yesterday I drank tons of it (probably a half gallon, honestly). It's completely a stress response. My oldest was driving me INSANE, and I went straight for the Coke. Today was way less stressful, and I didn't drink any at all. I think I'd lose a ton of weight if I could just cut out the soda! We don't buy it to keep in the house any more, but I'm drawn to drive-thrus. Ugh.

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    22. Sep 26, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I just heard about c25k for the 1st time today. I am wanting to up my walking. After my 50th birthday and weighing in at 250+ at my Dr. Appt. I felt unless I wanted to become diabetic &amp; old before I was ready, I had to do something. I started walking daily this summer and was going 3-4 miles most days. In Texas summer heat , it was challenging, but I stayed with it.when school started, I teach, I just didn't have the time to go that far in the morning. Way too hot in the afternoon. So I decided I need to run so that I can get more exercise in less time. Because I went with a friend to a kick boxing class Monday, &amp; walked/ran today, I am going to start c25k Sat. Downloaded the app.

• michal001 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 27, 2012
    23. Sep 27, 2012 3:47 AM (in response to Mamafreedak)

just heard about c25k for the 1st time today. I am wanting to up my walking. After my 50th birthday and weighing in at 250+ at my Dr. Appt. I felt unless I wanted to become diabetic &amp; old before I was ready, I had to do something. I started walking daily this summer and was going 3-4 miles most days. In Texas summer heat , it was challenging, but I stayed with it.when school started, I teach,

Sep 23, 2012
    24. Sep 27, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to michal001)

Well, I did W2D1 today. Ugh. I have a feeling that the first day of each week is going to be hard. I took my dog along, and she was dragging in the last run, too. Let's be honest, though--that last run was more of a dragging jog. I think I was actually going slower than if I had been walking, but whatever. Sunday will be better, right? Oh, and my knee and ankle are sooo sore. It didn't hurt while I was running, but it's killing me now. The worst part is that I have NO idea what I'm doing to cause it. Wah, wah, wah.

In other (happier) news, I signed up for my first 5K on November 17th! I'm so excited! It's here: http://www.donutrun.org

Amanda

Just started C25K!

Week 6:
    Week 2:
    Week 7:
    Week 3:
    Week 8:
    Week 4:
    Week 9:
    Week 5:

• Blondi76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2012
    25. Sep 27, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

YES!!   So I'm a few days or week behind most of you but this group seems like a good fit for me!  I will be starting C25K on Sat 9/29!  I'm almost 36 & a single mum to a 4 1/2 yr old boy who keeps me on my toes!  I joined Weight Watchers 24 weeks ago, around the time of his 4th birthday when I realized I weighed what I did 42 weeks pregnant!!   I have lost 41.6 lbs & have about 3 to goal & will make Lifetime Membership in 7 weeks!!   When I joined WW, I started going to the gym & walking up a storm- wasn't long before my feet just wanted to move faster & I started "running" a little bit!!   Had to drop my gym membership- couldn't afford it & WW- major push in acheiving Lifetime is not paying for it anymore!!   Figured I would have a better chance exercising on my own but I slacked a bit in the first couple of weeks & gained a few pounds back & now being so close, I'm determined, driven & dedicated!!   Besides I really liked the bit of "running" I was doing & look forward to more!  Very excited about taking the journey w/ you guys- will keep you posted!!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    26. Sep 27, 2012 3:33 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi all, me again. It looks like I'm the youngest person here (23), but gosh it doesn't feel like it!  I finished W2D1 today like Mamafreedak... and my left hip was/is hurting so bad!! It began hurting when I was running W1D3, and hurt untill the next afternoon. I was practically limping the next morning. It hurts bad right now when I walk (just got back from my run about 30 min ago).... I really don't want this stop me from being able to finish this!! I have been doing basic stretches after running, but I'm not an expert... maybe I'm not doing enough or the right ones?

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Anyone else having hip pain?

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    27. Sep 27, 2012 5:53 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

This is a group after my own heart, I'm 46 and could stand to lose about 30 lbs.  I will be doing W8D1 tomorrow, and I've lost 15 lbs and a few inches since I started!  I did C25K about 3 years ago, I like to say I went full circle.  Couch, to 5k, and back to couch again, lol.  I have been cross training, doing some weight lifting and kettle bell swings, and it has made a HUGE  difference in the ease with which I run.  Also, I feel great.  I love being able to call myself a runner, and I'm enjoying getting out there with my little dog.  I run slowly, I sweat like crazy, but I love it. Just read a great blog the other day about fat girls running, http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Good luck everyone!

• Philly170 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    29. Sep 27, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Finished W1D3 today. Considering repeating W1, but I'll see how I do on Sat. when I start W2D1.

I chuckled at "full-circle" statement too. It is hard to believe that I will be able to run for 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks, but I am going to stick it out!

1 2 3 4 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...