Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 6:34 PM by brndog RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 27, 2012 7:40 AM

Runs & workouts, Thursday, September 27, 2012

Rich, if it does rain on your marathon, think of it as a refreshing drizzle. If it's more than that, you just have to "embrace the suck."

I am reminded of an Army cartoon I saw once. The first panel showed an Air Force guy in a plane flying high over a muddy battlefield where the bullets are flying and people are dying. "Boy, it sucks down there," he says.

Second panel shows an Army grunt on that same battlefield, wearing his kevlar helmet and lying in the mud as the bullets are flying overhead. "This sucks," he says.

Third panel shows an Army Ranger wearing his patrol cap, lying in the mud and grinning. "I like how this sucks," he says.

Last panel shows a Special Forces guy with a crazed look in his eyes, wearing a bandanna on his head with a knife between his teeth as he low-crawls through the mud. "I wish this sucked more!" he says.

No workout for me yet, maybe later.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 27, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Thursday, September 27, 2012

I guess blisters are the biggest concern when running in the rain, that, bleeding nipples and chafing.  I know band-aids applied beforehand will fix bleeding nipples and a product called Body Glide is supposed to take care of chafing and blisters.  I Googled "how to run a marathon in the rain" to come up with this stuff and other than the issues I've already described, most people enjoyed the experience and had less trouble than they thought they would.  All that's left for me then, is to "embrace the suck." lol

Bottom line, it is what it is and if it's raining, I'll be running in the rain.

Hey Dark Horse, congrats on reaching your goal weight, you've done really well.  Stewed Rhubarb, eh?  Does your wife or sister make pies as well?  One of my favorites.

I ran 3 miles this morning with the coach's recommended interval session thrown in.  1 mile warm-up, 4 x's a 1/4 mile @ 5K pace, 1 mile cool-down.  1/4 mile splits were 1:50, 1:51, 1:48 and 1:49. (7:20 pace) My new coach also said the reasoning behind the intervals this close to race day is to maintain stroke volume in your heart.  I guess it's one of the first things to go when you back off.  Who knew?

And finally, ever since I fought tooth and nail with the crazed coyote yesterday, my wife's been in a panic for the stray cat she's been feeding.  I was tempted to tell her the coyote had to eat too, but didn't think much good would come from fighting tooth and nail with a crazed wife, so bit my tongue.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    3. Sep 27, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Great toon, DH.  I hope Rich doesn't have to run with a knife between his teeth!

I don't mind running in a warm rain, it is actually kind of nice.  But running in a cold rain, or any rain, for 26.2 is a different matter.  The thing is probably all the stuff that rubs, blisters, chaffs, etc that start showing up in a long run, and could be exacerbated by moisture.  Yuk.  Lube up good before the race.

My plan is to get 4.4 in today, with maybe one or two 400m intervals to check out the legs.  That will give me 14.4 so far this week with a 5K in Beloit on Saturday for 17.5 (I have an anal side sometimes around hitting the exact number, most of the time close is good enough.)

Proud to be part of the 75% participating on our little forum here...yo Ray? 

Mike in Minneapolis

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    4. Sep 27, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Got my 4.4 in with three 1/4 intervals.  It was a little dark out so I didn't go all out, plus this crazed unicyclist keep racing around the lake, which made me nervous of colliding.

Rich, body glide works but I just use ample gobs of good old Vaseline, and its cheaper.

Interesting to hear about the need for intervals before a marathon.  Stroke volume was not in my vocabulary till reading your post.  Now one more thing to worry about!

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...