Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

640559 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,020. Sep 26, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

igotwings - Great feeling, isn't it? You had a breakthrough.

jmsab - I'd like to run a 6 minute mile!

So maybe I exaggerated a bit - late registration is only $40.00 for the 10K, but still...Running is so popular here, and the cost of living so high to begin with, that races get expensive. That's why I'm a member of two clubs. I can race free twice a month, various distances, but unfortunately there are none this weekend.

11 ish miles this morning, at a 10 ish pace. Stepping back after hard work last week.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,021. Sep 26, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.3 miles 54 min. Saw a german shorthaired pointer running around the lake with his owner following him in an ATV.

Rescued a runaway Yorky.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,022. Sep 26, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did a late workout last night (10 p.m.) -- 2 mile warmup, then 3 x 30 sec.s @ top speed, then a 6-minute run at 5k race pace. Cooled down with a 1/2 m. jog. Total 4 mi. in 34:00. Still researching tapering for Sunday's HM. And the weather forecast is calling for rain. UGH.

Igotwings.... Don't know if they feel any more muscular after one workout, but they feel more solid now than they did last year.

NHLA.... 100 pounds?! Holy crap!! But, then again, the way you work out/run, I shouldn't be surprised. But that's a whole lot of person. Grats on your achievement.

Feb 23, 2012
    4,023. Sep 26, 2012 12:15 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I lost all that weight 2-3 lbs per week. It took two years. I think that is the key. When I got down to 160lbs my ribs started sticking out and DW was going to call for an intervention so I gained a little back. She likes a big hairy man.

I still have the strenght of a 260 lb man. Its kind of scary. Nobody wants to push hands with me not even my teacher. His skill  is so much greater than mine but I can still push him out.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    4,024. Sep 26, 2012 12:42 PM (in response to NHLA)

Snerb and NHLA - congrats on the weight loss, its definitely a choice one has to make for themselves.  Training for my marathon this spring I dropped about 30 pounds which I think I needed to do but my wife is not so sure.  I wasn't really trying to lose that much weight, but it just kind of happens when you are running that much.  Anyway, 4 miles on the treadmill this morning in just over 36 minutes.  Just a little over a week till my HM and I'm looking forward to it.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,025. Sep 27, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6 miles yesterday evening at a 9:00 pace.  The weather was perfect, 58 degrees and sunny.  My calves were still a little tight from the hill workout on Monday, that made the first mile more difficult than than it typically is.  Running a two mile fun run this evening for our Corporate 'Community Caring' campaign.

One more week until 'Central Wisconsin's Most Challenging 5k'.  My goal in any race is to run the whole way, don't walk.  This race is the only one that I've had to walk.  The 5k consists of 4 laps up and down the hill, I had to walk about 100 yards of the 3rd and 4th lap.

Cheers All!!!  Run strong.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,026. Sep 27, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to Snerb)

I ran a decent little 4 mile run with a few good hills thrown in. Sadly, I had some knee pain. It was probably the wall squats I did yesterday (wrong choice for tender IT Band) But, the pain was not too terrible. More ice/rolling/stretching today. I was hoping to get in a lot more hill work done before my half marathon Oct. 14th, but not until all knee pain is gone. Dang!

Snerb...lol Re: Trail Running and toenails. I know you will kick those hills in the behind on the 5k!

jmsab23 Thanks. I looked at your forecast for Me. Its a 30% chance of rain...so with all fingers crossed...I hope it's a stellar Me. day for your 1/2!

Debm2011  I hope you got that early morning run in today like you wanted to.

igotwings Yay for feeling strong!

NHLA  That is SO amazing. Re: You dropping 100 pounds. Good for you!!

Old Coyote Enjoy the "down week" I know you are going to run strong on your marathon.

BigSlade  I'm excited for you and your 1/2. Your mention of marathon training put the "bug in my ear" Shhhh! lol Maybe I'll wait until after my first 1/2 to consider a full marathon. It would be kind of cool though, with 33 years between my marathons! lol

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    4,027. Sep 27, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea I'm excited too, much more so now that I've put the dead legs no fun running thing past me.  I ran my first marathon six years after my first half marathon.  My wife and I ??were both a little tipsy when I agreed do a full and she would do a half and I was just stubborn enough to go through with it.  I'm glad I did, and I'm sure I'll run another at some point but I'm good with a half for now.  You are going to do fine on yoru first half.

Aug 19, 2011
    4,028. Sep 27, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wanted to run 20-25 minutes at my required race pace for Sunday's HM this morning, but the TM died again after a 1/2 mile. I need to run at 8 mph, or a 7:28 pace, to hit 1:38:00 for my PR. So I ran out the door and did my 3-mile route, but I came in in 21:30, for a 7:10 pace. I still can't pace myself correctly.

Snerb...... Good luck with those hills. I hate 'em!!!

Melody ... Take time with and care of that knee!!!

NHLA..... What is pushing hands? Is that martial arts or some training thing?

BigSlade.... It might be 6 years for me before I run a full marathon!!!

Run carefully, but fearlessly, people!!!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,029. Sep 27, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Martial arts. Most schools have some type of push hands.You face opponent in wart off left. Left leg in front of right leg 75% wt in left foot in a boxers stance. Left hand over chest, right hand over nuts. Put your left foot beside each other and touch the back off your wrist. Now you push me and I push you. You can move hands any way you want to. The object is to move both of his feet. When he pushes you shift wt to rt. leg and turn your waist, then shift wt to left foot when you push back. If you push too far you get pulled over on your head. Its all about balance.

Oct 4, 2011
    4,030. Sep 27, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to NHLA)

BigSladeThanks. I remember feeling kind of tipsy myself, (32 years ago!) when I decided to run my first marathon. Wouldn't it be cool to run a second marathon 33 years later?!

jmsab23 I think its great that you've got that speed and endurance.

NHLA You continue to amaze, period.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Oct 4, 2011
    4,031. Sep 28, 2012 5:25 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

jmsab23 ~> BEST OF LUCK Sunday!!! <~

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Feb 23, 2012
    4,032. Sep 28, 2012 9:34 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles 28 min saw lots of deer. Hid behind a bush and got within 5 yds of one.  Boy she was pissed when she saw me.

Snerb eat at Carme's at the bottom of rib mt.

jmsab good luck.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,033. Sep 28, 2012 4:53 PM (in response to NHLA)

Snerb and NHLA - congrats on the weight loss.  I lost 50 before I started running - unfortunately, I gained 10 of it back grrrr

And NHLA great job re: rescuing the yorkie. 

MelodyLea - take care of that knee!

igotwings - yay! 

jmsab23 - Good Luck on Sunday!  I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes up to you. 

I got that early morning run in yesterday and it was horrible.  My %&$%# calves were so tight I stopped at about 1.5 miles and turned around because I was afraid I would hurt myself.  I walked most of the way home just to be safe.   It's been a brutal work week and I'm sure I was not well fueled or hydrated or rested all week.  I stretched all day and went to bed wicked early Thurs night.  I felt pretty good this morning and got in a 5.25 mile predawn run.  3-4 walk/stretching breaks just to be sure  - all is good. 

run strong and good luck to all racing this weekend. 

Aug 19, 2011
    4,034. Sep 28, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Bought a used road bike yesterday after searching and contemplating all summer. A 2012 used Scott. Haven't ridden a bike for about 40 years. Wanted something for crosstraining days. Now I have to get used to it and get all the extra equipment. No hurry.

Thanks for the support, gang. I really appreciate the encouragement and will be thinking about what I will post Sunday night while I'm running. That should give me even more motivation.

Melody.... I'm sending you good wishes already for your new HM choice.

NHLA.... My balance has improved about tenfold since I've been running (3 years) and lost my weight, but I'm talking about static stretching and things like that for balance -- not pushing and pulling someone else. I'd push you and you'd clean me out!!!

Mother Nature.... Please be kind Sunday morning.

Safe running (and riding) people!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...