Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

795 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 4:57 PM by lenzlaw RSS
TRIPLEPLAY44 Amateur 33 posts since
Feb 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2012 5:33 PM

How do stop the sweat in your shoes?

Okay I admit I am a "sweat" man! Doesnt matter what activity it is I will sweat. Living and training in Florida you can imagine how my long runs end up. Totally drenched!!  I can live with the sweat dripping off of my face and most of body, the drenched shirt and shorts, but the "splish splash" in my shoes is bothersome. I use (forget the name) $20 socks so they are good for my feet, but its the sweat rolling down my legs (yes its sweat rolling down not something else-LOL) and into my socks/shoes.

Has anyone tried anything to offset this? I have heard to try baby powder in my socks or even put a sweat band around my ankle, but havent tried yet. With building miles for a marathon my runs are of course getting longer and sweater. Any thoughts?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 27, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

I don't know anything that will work.  Make sure you have a good pair of socks, I can pour water out of my shoes in the summer.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Sep 27, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

Try an athletic foot cream along with some inserts that help absorb the perspiration.  Of course, it also helps if your shoes are a good ventilating mesh.  Another old secret is putting dryer sheets in your shoes after long runs/overnight.  That really does make a difference or at least certainly controls the odor.  The only other thing is to wear calf compression socks...so the moisture is not rolling down your legs that way. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Sep 27, 2012 4:57 PM (in response to TRIPLEPLAY44)

It's probably not "the sweat rolling down my legs" as much as you think. Your feet have about the highest concentration of sweat glands on the body (~250,000). I don't know if you want to supress too much of that sweating.  Good wicking socks and shoes that breath are your best defense. These will help that sweat to evaporate and keep your feet a little cooler and drier.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...