Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2604 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 8:38 AM by greenybeany
nikita138 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2012 8:24 AM

August C25K starters :)

Well its august and the summer heat has seemed to have broken a bit, so its time again to start running.  I have done c25k twice, have completed the program both times but have not actually entered an official 5k.  I stop running in the summer months because its just too hot and hope to finish the program and enter one in Oct.   Good luck to all!!!    Lisa

• Grumpys wife Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012
    1. Aug 20, 2012 1:40 PM (in response to nikita138)

I started this program the 1st of August, I am 50 and am doing it with my 22 year old daughter and 25 year old niece. W1D1 was tough, I had to walk the last part of my last jog, I have completed all other workouts although I am slower than the girls. W4D1 was last night; I just couldn't run the last 1/4 mile of the last jog. I was so upset with myself. Hope to do better tomorrow night and we will be going when the sun is not beating down on us. I thought I was crazy for starting this in the hottest part of the summer but hopefully it will start cooling down for these next few hard weeks.

• RobotPierre Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 27, 2012
    2. Aug 27, 2012 9:21 AM (in response to nikita138)

Started 1st August, just did Week 5 Day 1. Feel great. Great, and surprised. Surprised, and shocked.

Really? Is this even possible? Me running?!

• MizT Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 15, 2011
    3. Aug 28, 2012 3:06 AM (in response to nikita138)

I too started back on the programme at week 1.  I know it works and I am looking forward to getting back up to full fitness again.  I'm quite happy just out running, or should I say jogging, for 30/45 mins at a time.  I'm not fast on purpose.  I did the programme before and went as fast as I could even doing speed intervals to help with my training and all I got was fat legs.

This time I am taking it slower and building on distance rather than speed.  I want slim runners legs not fat footballer legs.  Well that's the dream.

Happy running everyone.

Small steps lead to great things.
    Walk before you jog, jog before you run, once you can run you are free.
    P1030169a.JPG
  • jensense Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2012
    4. Sep 12, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to nikita138)

Hi I am on Week 2 Day 2.  I am sore, I am tired but I am doing it 

• FanOfFridges Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    6. Sep 28, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to nikita138)

Hi all, my first post here!

I started in mid-late August but didn't realise there was a forum!

I've just done W5 D2, planning to run D3 the day after tomorrow. I run alternate days. Have to say I'm surprised at my progress, although I seem to be younger than many on here at 24.

I'm 6' tall, but after my third year of university I weighed over 15 stone from the constant drinking, lazing about and junk food eating, followed by office work. I never looked huge or anything as I'm quite a heavy set person - I used to play rugby and that, big thighs, big bum lol - but I was just kind of flabby and aerobically I was ridiculously bad for my age. I played 5 a side one week and had to come off after less than 5 minutes and I had barely moved anywhere, it was embarrassing! I broke up with my girlfriend about 6 weeks ago and realised how comfortable I had become! Time to get into shape I thought!

Its amazing to see how many other people are on here trying to improve their fitness, it raises my spirit just knowing there are other people puffing away through the pain barrier too!

W5 D3 looks mad! Going from 8 mins jogging, 5 mins walking and 8 minutes jogging to 20 mins jogging with no break?! Huge, huge jump. I shall put my trust in the system though, I have managed every other week despite doubting it so fingers crossed this one is the same!

I can really feel the difference now though, I can't believe its only been four weeks since I started. I struggled hugely with W1D1, just four weeks later I pretty much breezed through the first 8 mins jogging today, and the second 8 wasn't THAT hard - even though it was exhausting I could feel I had some more in me so I ran an extra two minutes on the end. If any of you are sitting in week 2 like I was and thinking "cor, I'll never be able to run 5 solid minutes" stick with it rain or shine because you will suddenly find yourself able to jog distances you thought impossible just two weeks before! I'm excited thinking about the next two weeks if all goes to plan!

Good luck all! Hope you all achieve your goals!

• camplate Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    7. Oct 8, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to nikita138)

Hello. I started September 18. I've finished the couch to 5k once before, after a few false starts, and was doing three or four miles regularly until the winter. I had just started again when I broke my leg at the end of April. Not running, I was walking in the woods and slipped. No surgery or cast; just crutches and a walking boot. Now after a down summer I am trying again.

I just did the first day of week four. It is tiring but I know I can do it. Might sign up for a 5k turkey trot since that would be after week nine but will wait until later to see how I feel.

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    8. Oct 9, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to camplate)

Hi Camplate, it looks like you are around the same point as us over on the other thread for september C25K starters:

http://community.active.com/thread/261575/anyone-starting-c25k-in-late-sept/0/0

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points