Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

658934 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 268 269 270 271 272 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,035. Sep 29, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I ran a nice 6 miles this morning with NO knee pain! Yay. To ALL runners here...if you haven't picked up a foam roller, do it now! Wow. What a great tool and what a difference it's made on my IT Band and Piraformis issues! A nice strong 6 miles, very happy with the run and so encouraged that I had no pain.

NHLA Funny about Mrs. Deer. Did she snort at you??

Debm2011 Bummer about that rough morning run, but I'm glad you were able to put in a strong 5.25 Friday.

jmsab23 How fun, re: your new bike! I really love bike riding but I don't often do it for two reasons. One, I cant bring my trusty dog/coach/partner/best buddy, and two, once Oct. rolls around here in New England, that's the end of bike riding! Enjoy yours. Make sure to get all the appropriate spandex!  Again BEST of luck tomorrow!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,036. Sep 29, 2012 11:47 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I don't ride a bike because I'm a klutz. I hit a pothole in June of '11 and went over the handlebars; saved by a helmet and a tuck and roll -  but I was still unable to run for about 6 weeks. The chiropractor had to fix my hip.

I slept in the last 2 days, so I didn't do my scheduled workouts - an 8-15K simulated race, and 8x100 repeats. I decided to combine them, and hit the South Table Mtn. trails for a last hurrah. The chance of injury on trails means I can't do it again until after the marathon. In fact, I do have a nasty stone bruise as I write. I ran all over that mesa today. It's a checkerboard of public and private lands, and as long as you stay on the trails, don't cross fences,  and leave no trace it's OK to run or bike wherever you want. I followed some trails and deer paths today I'd never run before, lots of up and down through the cactus and sage and Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus Montanus), where I heard a hiss and a quick rattle.

Being an inquisitive Coyote (although not always a wise one) I slowly backtracked, as bullsnakes will shake their tail in dry leaves in a surprisingly good imitation of a rattler. I stayed out of striking distance, roughly the length of the snake, and identified a Prairie Rattlesnake (Crotalus Viridis). I tried to assure him that I was a curious Coyote, not a hungry one, but Snake would hear none of it, and, hissing and rattling, backed away, as did I. A rattler really doesn't want to strike a large mammal, so they're not terribly dangerous if you use some common sense.

A little later I heard a brush of wings above me and looked up to see a Golden Eagle searching for rabbits at 8 meters above ground level. Great run today, one of the best times I've had this summer. I ran too hard today to get in a long long run tomorrow, but at this point if I'm not in shape I never will be. And I'm in great shape .

Good luck to all those racing this weekend. Chicago runners, enjoy Race Week!

Run Free!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,037. Sep 29, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

13.3 miles 2 hr 15 min. Ran up and down then back up and down Jeter Mtn. Two 45 min climbs. This is so far back in the country you hear banjos. Jeter Mtn. Farm is quite a spread. Mtn. pastures surrounded by ridges. Looks like they raise Paint horses.

Oct 4, 2011
    4,038. Sep 29, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to NHLA)

Coyote What a fantastic run you had and then brought us all along with you! Your "neck of the woods" is SO different from mine. Here, the day is all dark clouds and bright fall colors, bear and deer. Chilly-frosty morning, deep woods. Enjoy the glow from a perfect run!

NHLA Beautiful! I so respect your miles and ability. You're an inspiration!

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,039. Sep 30, 2012 9:53 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea - yay to no knee pain!  I love my foam roller.  My physical therapist gave me one and it is indispensable after long or hard runs.

OldCoyote - I love your run descriptions - your country sounds so beautiful!

NHLA - pastures surrounded by ridges and Paint Horses - idyllic.

Yesterday was church work - unloading a tractor-trailer load of pumpkins for our month-long fundraiser - 2702 pumpkins @ approx 45,000lb.  Now that's cross-training!

10.3 miles this morning -  it should have been12.  But 3 calls from not so dear ExH put me behind schedule to get out the door. grrrr.  It was cold and rainy, but  this 10 felt  stronger than last weeks 10  - and I still made it to church on time - so all is good.  Next week is the Tufts 10K for Women.  Half is 5 weeks away.  I  just hope I'll be ready. 

I can't wait to hear race reports. 

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,040. Sep 30, 2012 12:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

17 miles 2 hr 26 min Ecco Mtn to Stoney Mtn. 66 degrees today. Rock formations on Stoney Mtn are awsome.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,041. Sep 30, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb- After a strong 10miles I'd say you ARE ready for the HM in 5 weeks; Good job!!  That is a lot of cross training!  Good luck with the fund raiser.  Yesterday we had a fund raiser for a local camp near us that works mostly with church youth groups-a golf outing at the local country club, where the pastor's son is the head pro.  After >2 years since holding a club, I was thankful it was a best ball event.  The beauty of the bluffs in our area this weekend are incredible and we had great views from the course.

Up early Friday morning to do my last long run before the 10/21 race.  I did complete the 24.2 miles; the recovery in the next week will tell me if I can do it again for full 26.2 in 3 weeks.  I think I could have done a better job with nutrition before and during the run, and I think that's part of why I struggled the last 2 miles of this run.  (or maybe it's just because it was 24.2 miles).  Enjoyed starting in the dark, watching the dawn and sun rise, and the beauty of fall colors as the morning progressed.  It took me just short of 5:20 to complete, using run/walk ration of 1/1 the entire way.  Tony, that would make your prediction from the HM time very accurate.DSC01759.JPG

This is only a small sample of color near our home, and the bluffs are much more spectacular.

Good luck to all those running in Chicago next Sunday-run safe and have a blast!!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,042. Sep 30, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Not a great report today. I went out fine, 8:10 first mile, and worked it up a little each mile after that so we (I ran with a college girl who was running for the same goal-time I was) were doing an excellent job for 7 miles. Then we hit the dip before the turnaround. I told her that was where we may part ways, but I made it up the hill on the way back. At mile 8, however, my quads began to burn, and a half-mile later I knew I was in trouble. A guy we passed just before that caught us and started talking, so I said he could take my place and I had to start walking. I jogged and walked the last four miles, stretching, rubbing my quads, etc. 1:47:13, for an 8:13 pace. Dangit.    Other than the legs, I felt terrific--hydrating, fueled before the race with a GU gel, no breathing/stomach issues, no cramps - everything on target.

My guess, then, is I needed to log more distance in my training runs. Since all else was great, that's my guess.

The weather was NOT ideal, though, at least for me. It was drizzling when we started and it went downhill from there. The temp was OK, about 55, but the rain became steady. I was soaked.    Does anyone have any comments about whether the rain had anything to do with it? I'm thinking it didn't, but I'm curious if anyone else has input. I did see guys running in only shorts, or females with just tank-tops and light shorts. The rain didn't seem to bother them.

Melody...... Strong runs are great!!! Especially with no pain!!

Just run Dan..... Our foliage here in ME changed dramatically in the last week -- the leaves are gorgeous right now.

DebM.... Nice distance on the 10+ miler. That's what I needed to be doing, I guess.

Coyote..... Golden Eagles are magnificent birds. I don't know about the snakes, though.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4,043. Sep 30, 2012 4:09 PM (in response to jmsab23)

I've been in races where it rained and there was a headwind, making my quads so cold that maintaining pace became difficult. So it's something to consider.

I can't really comment on your training since I don't know your routine.  But if you're shooting for a time in a half, you should be doing 12 to 14 regularly in training.

Len

Len

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    4,044. Sep 30, 2012 4:25 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I'm so excited to see everyone doing so well! Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks. It's been busy here (I'm knee deep in studying the dsm for school and dealing with life stuff).  I had a race last Saturday and finished about 10 seconds faster than my previous 5k.  I'm not sure when I posted last but I shave 3:30 minutes off my 5k since last race in the spring.  I'm pretty pleased to see this because I was really doubting if it my miles were doing any good since the time was pretty much the same. After my race, I went home and ran another 5k and then I didn't run again til Thursday. I've had stomach issues and spent a few days recovering.  I ran 4.5 on the treadmill since it looked like it would pour any moment outside.  Yesterday I had 7 miles planned.  I was so nervous about getting that many miles in since the most I've done solid was 5.  But I put on my running shoes anyway.  I did really well.  I had to stop 3 times for traffic and 3 times (2x to tie my shoes- considering new shoe laces, and 1 to shed a layer off).  I did about 3 walk breaks in there but overall I was so surprised.  Total time was 1:24:35.  This run was so important for me mentally, 7 miles seemed like so much but I think I'm finally shutting up the "yack-yack" voice in my head and getting it done. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and I hope every has a wonderful week!!!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,045. Oct 1, 2012 5:50 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Great run, Chell! Those short stops don't harm your fitness at all. In fact, they teach your body to start running again when you're already tired.

jmsab - Hurting quads...Possible you burned them out on that hill, especially if the rain chilled the muscles. Can you incorporate more hill training or a stair stepper to build muscle strength? I don't remember what part of the country you're in.

justrundan - Conventional wisdom is that if you can run 20 in training, you can do 26.2 on race day. I'd say you're ready after 24.

nhla - Can't wait for the marathon to be over so I can get back to cross country for fun. Your routes sound like a blast.

MelodyLea - I'd like to spent autumn in the northeast some time. Colorado's beautiful, but we don't have a lot of deciduous trees, so the fall colors are meh. Aspen groves are actually only one plant, with many trunks on one root, so each grove is monochromatic - either red or gold. It would help to clear cut or burn some lodgepole stands and reintroduce diversity.

Debm - Good run! You'll be ready.

Taper time! Rest day today. Be fearless, all!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,046. Oct 1, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I took a couple of days off early this past week to recover from my race, then ran 4 on the TM on Friday and had a nice 7 miler Sunday morning.  The temps were in the upper 40's and the sun was just up, making all of the trees glow a little extra.  I hadn't noticed how many trees had put on their festive Autumn colors around town til I was running amongst them yesterday.  Beautiful.

Jmsab23 - that time may not have met your goal but it is still awesome to me (and way beyond my reach), congratulations on your race!

Debm - it sounds to me like you're ready for your half, no worries.

JustRunDan - I know those colors are more brilliant in real life.  I do love the fall....

MelodyLea I'm so glad your knee issues seem to be clearing up!  You're going to kick butt in that half.

Coyote I love hearing about your animal sightings, except I don't think I'd have gone back to investigate the snake.  In town here my animal sightings are pretty much limited to squirrels and dogs.  Best of luck in Taper.

Chell, great run!  Getting over those distance milestones is a huge confidence boost!

Have a great week!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Oct 4, 2011
    4,047. Oct 1, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to OshCat)

I ran a super strong 4 miles this morning, again pain free! I included a major uphill (which felt easy..yay) and two steep down hills to test the IT band. No pain, a twinge, but no pain. I also found a downhill technique for myself to create less pounding and hopefully "baby" the knee until my half marathon. Very happy with the run!

Debm2011 Thanks. I like that punkin'-cross-training technique! 10.3 will work! 5 weeks is plenty of time to add a few more long runs. Great job, Deb.

justrundan Last long run?!? Oh, that is exciting. Taper on it's way, yes? 24.2, wow. Awesome! Beautiful pic of your foliage, thanks.

jmsab23 8:13 pace is only something in my wildest dreams for a half! But, I understand your disappointment. I'm not an expert, but when I do have to run in cold rain, my quads are most unhappy and my legs feel like they are in thick mud. In my opinion, you did a GREAT job! **High Fives** Maybe (fingers crossed) I'll be at the Me. Marathon next year.

chell730 Great job on the long run, Chell!! Bravo for pushing past that milestone.

Old Coyote Thanks. Yep, New England really does fall!! I'm a California native, so these fall colors still blow my mind, even after 15 years! I love every moment.

NHLA Outstanding miles on a beautiful route!

Oshcat Thanks for your vote of confidence on my half and seeing you do so well on yours gives me inspiration and courage! Nice recovery girl.

My Fine Art Website

For 2013:

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,048. Oct 1, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Sorry to miss all your news!! Am holding up a table so I'll have to read and reply to your posts later.

Thank you for all those bad experiences that led to this?? I survived the White Tail! I confirmed before I ran that I could still finish if I ran over 4 hrs but I did it in 3:56:09 and was 4th out of 5 females in my AG; there were only 280 total and I placed 265.  I was miserable by the end and took a recovery sick day today but the hardest pain was mental. I must have had a serious deficiency of something because I went into the foulest mood around 7 but thought, *Just stop this; getting upset now will drain you and you're thinking this way bc you're already spent so this is dangerous.* Took off earbuds thinking the music might have been stirring me up but that just made me think more about the ups and downs. Luckily I was pretty much alone because yet another dip to the creek around 11 just made me cry out, "Give me a f'ing break! Another down to another up. When will this sh#t stop?"  I kept the rest to myself and spent the next mile swearing I'd never ever set foot on a trail again, even for a hike. I fell behind everyone, first out of choice and then because breathing problems made me stop running. I was sure for about 5 mi. that I was last and that did not help my mood. It turned out there were 15 people behind me but where, I don't know. It would have helped to know that. At the end I felt guilty taking the medal and was thinking I had failed for all the walking I'd done. Every one of my scars from the surgery hurt. Scott and others tried to make me feel good about the race. "You're doing great!" "Congrats on finishing. Way to stick with it!" All I could think was, *Seriously? Turning around is/was further than finishing.* Then Scott pointed out that I could have gotten a ride at any water stop and I have to admit the thought never entered my mind so I guess I did push through. 

The race itself was great. Folks were very friendly. The condition of the trail, the markings, the weather, the course were all fantastic. The first half of the course was rolling hills and the second was endless ups and downs but only one between 8 and 9 was steep and long. There were good moments during my race, too. Views were great! Trees were turning color and I saw a huge white-tailed buck dart out of the trees and cross in front of me. I spent about 20 min. Sunday talking myself out of driving back up and running the last half of the course again. Srsly? That really could have been an invitation for injury - but it also could have been fun. My main scar just shouted No! More! and I gave in. Still resting.

Run strong and enjoy!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,049. Oct 1, 2012 7:17 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

About a total of three miles worth of walking before and after work.  I got overly ambitious this weekend, and my legs are threatening to sue for divorce.

More about this here.

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-to-wear-how-much-to-run.html

Friday night, after a spell at a favorite watering hole, I sprinted about twenty yards to catch a bus home.  I didn't think twice about such ahem...high intensity training, even though I had a couple of pints of Green Line Ale* in me.  What the heck, it was a HIT without doing a heave. :-)

* a tap only Goose Island product.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...