Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55149 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Previous Next
  • looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 30, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Finished W3D1 today.  Boy, was that tough for me!  I made it all the way through, but a couple of times during the last run I wasn't sure I was going to make it.  I hope my next run feels a little bit easier.

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    47. Sep 30, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to DogCrazy1966)

Thanks, good to know

• Funat50 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    48. Sep 30, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to Funat50)

Went out to do W1D2 this morning and it was raining. I almost went back inside , but told myself a real runner wouldn't let this stop them,so off I went. It was hard for me, but I was still smiling at the end. And much cooler when raining. I am so psyched that I want to do it everyday, but will stick to the 3 times a week to prevent injury.

• Couch2Trackula Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    49. Oct 1, 2012 7:03 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I finished w2d1 this morning and it was cold out. The cold air was a little rough on my lungs. I don't know if it ever gets "fun" for me, like the people that act like running a marathon is like going to Disney. I do get a little hooked on feeling healthier/fit, feeling of accomplishment, and maybe little bit of the Endorphins. I also get this clean on the inside type of feeling after I've cooled down that I really like, and I only get that with running/cardio. Those feelings might just be me though. Whenever it gets tough and the burn(lungs/legs)sets in, I just tell myself - you're not going to die, keep going. haha

• somuch Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    50. Oct 1, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Started C25K last week, September 25.  Completed W2D1 today.  Using the active.com app on my phone.  Thought I should check the active.com website today and was thrilled to see this group.  Looking forward to sharing support and motivation!  Inspired to get running by my sister who started this program about a year ago.  She's lost about 60 lbs., improved her health, placed well in a local 10k and will be running a half marathon this Sunday. 

• Couch2Trackula Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    51. Oct 2, 2012 4:01 AM (in response to somuch)

Way to go somuch! That is an awesome story about your sis and what's even more awseome is the fact that it could be ANY of us running a 10k, or a half marathon, or just finishing the 5k program and losing some weight- if we want to, If we stick with it, and if we work hard. Ok now everyone get your hands in here it's "finish it" on three... 1-2- :)

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    52. Oct 2, 2012 8:09 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hello everyone!   We started our C25K last month. We start week 5 today.I'm a newbie runner.  I'm sore, slow, but hanging in there! I try not to get down on myself when others seemed to be doing better than me. I've been having foot numbness issues but I think it's the hard gravel track because when I run on the weekends, I'm fine. Someone suggested gel insoles, so I purchased them for tonight.  Say a prayer and wish me luck. Good luck to you all!!   Go team!

Sep 26, 2012
    53. Oct 2, 2012 8:15 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

How is everyone doing??  I just finished W3D2.  It was a tad easier than W3D1, although I can't imagine being ready for week 4 in a few days.  I am in awe of the guy who runs at the track at the same time I do.  He must be in his 90's, and although he runs slower than I walk, he runs for the entire 30 minutes that I'm out there!  So here I am, panting, out of breath, feeling like I'm about to keel over for running 3 minutes without stopping, and he passes me by and isn't even breathing hard.  Maybe someday I'll be as good as he is...  sigh.

• AngelaJacobs2063 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2012
    54. Oct 3, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I enjoy reading all of your posts and they are very inspirational to me.  I actually started the C25K several months ago, started off kicking butt but then didn't stick with it faithfully enough to complete it.  I am an asthmatic so running is extremely difficult for me- especially during those unbearably hot, southern summer months.  Now I'm back at it full swing (mostly b/c of the weather change) but I upgraded to the 0 to 10K program. I use the Run Double app and absolulty love it!!  Have completely weeks 1-5 and tonight will run W6D1.  VERY SCARY!! What I have found about the 10K app is that the segment times are the same, there are just more of them.  For me its not about the length of the run overall, its each individual segment.  With having asthma I find it extremely difficult to maintain control of my breathing after about 4-5 minutes, and I really need that 2 minutes of walk time in order to regain it.  Once I lose control of my breathing I start getting light headed- my lips and fingertips go numb.......yeah, not fun stuff.  I'd love to know if anyone else has asthma and how you manage yours and running?

Thanks- and good running to all!!

Angie

Thanks- Happy Running

Angie

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    55. Oct 3, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I finished W2D3 on Monday, and I'm actually finding myself looking forward to starting W3 tomorrow!  Wow, week 3- we made it guys!! Almost a third of the way there. We can do it! It seems like three days a week is definitely doable at this point in the game.I hope my hip/knee stops bothering me by the end of this!

I'm really enjoying C25K/running as a way to get outside. It feels good to have a challenge and something you are working towards rather than just going for a walk here and there (which, let's face it, only happened like 1x per month- I just never felt like it! even though I love the outdoors). I also began stretching afterwards in my back yard... it feels so good to sit in the grass, feeling accomplished and enjoying the changing leaves and the crisp fall air. My dog probably enjoys the company and the exercise, too.

Shellyrun5- I used to get foot numbness too. It turns out the shoes I was wearing were a little too tight. I bought a pair of wider shoes and it has gone away. I do have a mortons neuroma, so that may be why it was happening for me, but it might be helpful for you!

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    57. Oct 3, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi!  Just found this group and enjoyed all the posts!  I  started my C25K mid sept. I did  W3D2 today, with my 3 yr old riding her bike with me :-)   I am 47 and tryin to get healthy and lose weight. Right now i am basically running carrying an extra person so I'm about as fast as a 90 yr old man :-)  My goal is to run a 5k before spring but am very intimidated by an actual race.  I am surprised that I am actually enjoying my runs and look forward to them.  Everyone I know runs 10k or half marathon races so I feel pritty silly talking about how excited I am being able to run for 3 min w/o passing out or throwing up, so I was so happy to find this group.

Sep 26, 2012
    58. Oct 4, 2012 8:52 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Woo Hooooo!  I completed W3D3 this morning.  It still wasn't easy, but I knew I could do it so I didn't have any thoughts about quitting.  I even manageed to shave off about 15 seconds from my last run.  I'm still not sure how I'll manage week 4, but why worry about that now? 

Hope everyone is doing great!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    59. Oct 4, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

A fewpeople have mentioned it, so I guess I will share my opinion about doing a race at the end of this...I personally don’t plan on doing one. I am doing this for myself and couldn’t care less about running alongside hundreds of other people… in fact, that sounds terrible. I enjoy the solitude of getting outside with my dog and I don’t even like passing other runners at this point (or cars, for that matter!). Maybe after running for a couple of years I would want to do it? Only time will tell. I can see why other people might want to do one, though- so that they have a set, specific goal to work towards. I just wanted to share my opinion so that if other people weren’t into the idea of doing a race, they can know that they aren’t alone! J

Anyone have a link to a “couch to 10k,” or “5k to 10k” running plan similar to what we are doing now? I only saw an app, but I don’t have a phone like that, and would like to just have a printable one like the C25K.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...