Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

912 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 5:25 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2012 6:34 PM

C'mon, Rich, spill the beans

What happened in your marathon?

The public has a right to know.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    2. Sep 30, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Finally just got my 3.1 run in to finish up the cut back week of 17.5. Didn't run a planned 5k yesterday, so ran today.

Hats off to Rich and his marathon today.  I thought about it as we were driving back from Beloit and enjoying the trees changing colors. Hopefully the weather cooperated and it was an enjoyable experience, as much as 26.2 grueling miles can be enjoyable!!  :)

Mike in Minneapolis

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Oct 1, 2012 3:55 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: C'mon, Rich, spill the beans

Sorry to keep you guys waiting.  To my surprise, I found another way to screw up one of these things.

The weather was perfect, 54 degrees at the start and dry.  I started out running a few seconds slower than race pace early on and felt pretty good.  Actually hit the half in 1:59, which was a little slow, but thought I could pick up the pace in the second half and run a 1:56 coming in to hit my goal.

The bad news is cramps hit at about mile 16 and it got ugly.  I never actually stopped running, but the pace slowed considerably and all my plans went up in smoke. 

In thinking about what went wrong, lack of sodium probably got me.  I carb loaded on Friday and drank a ton of water, my guess is I flushed most of the sodium out of my system without realizing it.

Anyway, I'm disappointed, but not discouraged.  All the work I did to get ready has left me really fit and I'm going to take advantage of it by running a couple of shorter races soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of lousy news, I mentioned tapering and getting it right gives me trouble didn't I...? lol  I managed to do it again...lol

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Oct 2, 2012 5:25 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Dark Horse, that's funny you went searching for a dead guy...lol  The people at the med tent actually grabbed me after I crossed the finish line and led me to their tent.  I asked one of the women, "Do I really look that bad?"  She said, "I figure you've probably looked better." lol

They took my blood pressure, 122 / 72 and pulse, 62, then let me go. 

I'm choosing my words carefully because a lot of people run marathons really well and there are new runners in here who I don't want to discourage because of what happened to me.

I REALLY don't know why I had a bad day, I'm just guessing it was sodium, but don't know for sure. I thought my training would pull me through the rough spots, but it didn't happen.

And I'm swearing off marathons for a while, but think I'll give my running log to my "coach" to see if he can figure out what I did wrong.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...