Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

717176 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,050. Oct 2, 2012 5:33 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

MaryKay - congratulations! Now will you PLEASE take a rest before you injure yourself?

Linuscatch - No word from you in a while. Hope you are well.

My last run was...This morning, 5:15, 47 degrees, full moon. A beautiful autumn morning. 5 miles, 9:26 pace. Saw 3 other runners, all young women. Saw no critters

Run Free!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,051. Oct 2, 2012 12:41 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

I ran 3 miles of hills this morning. 1/2 mile was gradual uphill then a very steep mile down, a very steep mile back up and a gradual downhill finish. The uphill was tough but I had no knee pain so I am pleased. My hilly half marathon is in 11 days! My plan is to add 1 or 2 small runs in this week, a 13 mile run on Sunday and then a long taper.

MaryKay You are one togh cookie! Every time I fret over the hilly terrain I've got coming for my half, I think of you stickin' it out. Stay injury free though!!

Old Coyote "47 degrees, full moon, 5 miles, 9:26 pace" <~That sounds so sweet!! The critters were all snoozing.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,052. Oct 2, 2012 4:09 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

coyote:  Thanks for checking in.  Doing fine, now.  Had a big melt down, let down after the HM and all the training leading up to it.  Needed a break from running, talking about running, reading about running...you get the point.  Had composed a very lengthy post last night and then it somehow got deleted before I hit send so will try again.  Sounds like you are doing well with your training.  Think you are going to have a very good first marathon.  Thanks for all the stories (see mine below as I think you will appreciate).

melodylea:  great runs lately for you.  You will be so ready for a strong HM next weekend.  Enjoy the taper.  THanks for the pics of you and your son...good looking boy, and proud mom!  Way to be there for/with him.

nhla:  continued impressive mileage.  I do not want to "push hands", in case you were wondering.  I like my fingers and body parts just the way they are.  Thanks for sharing your weight loss story...very impressive.

jmsab:  grats on the HM.  Know it was not what you were hoping for related to time, but still a very good time (maybe I will someday do on a great day what you did on a bad day).  Like every other run you will learn something from this one that will help the next time.

nrdgirl:  Go kill it in Chicago!!!  You are so ready!

bigslade:  glad to hear the deadlegs are gone...now go kick some butt in your HM!

oshcat:  you will be totally ready for your HM.

debm:  ditto!  Way to go with your training.

mkayc:  congrats on both recent races.  Agree with coyote to be careful pushing too hard though.  You are on a great track.

snerb:  Happy 40th!  And awesome story on your weight loss.  What a difference you have made for yourself for the rest of your life...congrats!

justrundan:  you are totally ready for your marathon.  Now go out and have fun, enjoy the race, and send us some pics of the bling!

everyone else I failed to mention above:  way to go with your training and racing.  Your posts of hard work and results are very inspiring.

Since my last post, I have tried to run 3 times.  Last thursday went out (after 4 days rest) for a 3 mile run, and man did it hurt.  then tried for 5 on Saturday and felt like I was pulling a tank behind me.  What a toll the training for 3 months had taken.

Then, on Monday, I went out again and had a great adventure.  Running at oh-dark-thirty, under cloudy skies and light rain, I donned my headlamp and headed out for 6 easy miles.  Before leaveing the neighborhood, I saw a large mass in the gutter across the street.  I turned my headlamp to illuminate whatever it was, and was faced with 10 white beady eyes, staring back at me.  yes, I had run upon a pack of coyotes, presumably looking for breakfast.  I "got big" and yelled, but they did not move.  I did it again, remembering that it was 5:15 AM and the neighbors were all asleep.  Finally the pack started to break and move away.  Once more I yelled, and they all ran away, with one climbing a tree.

With elevated heart beats, I ran past and continued my run.  All in all, it was a great 6 miles, and I felt like I was back to running.  just in time, as my next HM is less than 3 weeks away.

Take care, all, and have a great week running/racing.  Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Run strong, run free and stay fearless!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,053. Oct 2, 2012 5:09 PM (in response to linuscatch)

linuscatch What a story!! I just saw a really big black bear crossing the road I usually run (I was driving at the time). Part of running in the beautiful outdoors I guess. That must have been so scary, though! I'm glad you found your way back to happy running. Good to see you.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,054. Oct 2, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks all for the responses. I have a feeling lenzlaw is right....... I wasn't doing enough mileage in my "long" runs. I put in 12 total 2 weeks ago on one day, but it was broken up into three segments due to my GI issue. Other than that, I think my longest runs were in the 8 -9 mile range.  But, no matter what the cause was, I appreciate the feedback from all of you.

I have a few other resources/friends who I will be asking, and if I get any pertinent info I think we could all benefit from, I'll be sure to pass it along. Thanks again.

For yesterday and today, days off. My legs are still quite sore. Wed. and Thurs. off, so I'm hoping to get back into it on both days. Maybe give the bike a spin, too.

Linus.... You may want to start running with OldCoyote.

Melody..... You sound like you're just daring those hills to take you on!!!! You go, girl!! (Can a guy say that, or is that a girl-to-girl thing?)

Coyote.... I think you were done your run about the time I was getting out of bed!!!

Maryk, Maryk, Maryk........ PLEASE   take it easy on yourself!!! But, other than that advice, great determination!!

To all, run safely!!

Sep 18, 2011
    4,055. Oct 2, 2012 10:49 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab:  I think you are right.  Maybe oldcoyote is the alpha male of the pack I encountered and as such he can keep me safe in the future!  LOL!  I was thinking that maybe you were not focused enough on the benefits of the LSD's that are a staple of both HM and FM training plans.  You have done this distance before so that is not the issue, but may want to balance your obvious short distance speed with some longer endurance runs before next HM.  You are  a great runner, in any event, so good luck with next goal!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,056. Oct 3, 2012 5:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linus - I know there are some city packs that have lost fear of humans, especicially up north of town. I apologize for the poor behavior of my cousins, and assure you it's OK to wake the neighbors to help you chase them off. Lowering the pitch in which you yell is supposed to help - alphas have lower voices. Which half are you doing? Boulder?

melodylea - kill the hill!

5:15 am again, but 55 degrees. Perfect running temp. 6 miles with 10x100 striders, saw a runner, two walkers, and a fisherman I see nearly every morning I run this route. Tomorrow and Friday are forecast to be 32-34 degrees at dawn! Time to get out the tights.

Run Free!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,057. Oct 3, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.6 miles 49 min. I like running at night. DD saw`a bear in the parking lot at school. He was a little guy just playing in the parking space next to her car. I saw a big bear on the side of the highway.

Had a racoon in the yard and he would not spook. I waved my arms a screamed but he would not budge. He wanted my birdfeeder. I have never seen one act that way. He did not look sick. He was a teenager. Animal control said he was probably separated from his mother too soon before he learned how to survive. Raccoons stay with their mothers for over a year. They said just leave him alone. Took down birdfeeder. Cats are sad.

linus I hate the after race blues. Just get back on the horse

Mel good news about the knee.

Jmsab you ran a good race. Everybody talks about the 20 mile wall but there is another little wall at 8-10 miles. Its more of a sinking spell. Mark off two miles on the road and run repeats and watch your time. Find your sinking spell and learn to run thru it. It will disappear. The wall at 20 miles is a lot harder to deal with.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,058. Oct 3, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - I haven't been to Carmies in many years.  It's still highly recommended by people here though.

Linus - Good to see you back.  Excellent story.  Thanks for the bday wish.  I celebrated with a few glasses of beer and a nice grilled steak dinner with my son, my girlfriend and her daughter.  Was a nice evening.

Melody - You're ready.  Enjoy the 13 on Sunday and the taper following.  Be confident, you've got this!

Mkayc - You finished!!  And you finished faster than everyone who sat on the couch.  Be proud of that, you should be.

7.35 miles in 1:04 yesterday evening.  Felt strong, energetic and free....it was really one of those runs that get remembered as what a good run should feel like. 

I was up in Wisconsin's Northwoods this weekend, the colors are at their peak.  So much so that I took my girlfriend on a motorcycle ride on Monday evening so she could take some pictures.  Here's one that I took on Saturday while I was out fishing.

IMG_0409.JPG

...sometimes you just have to look up to the sky and say, 'thank you'.

One more short run on Thursday evening, then the Wrut-N-Run on Saturday morning.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,059. Oct 3, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Old Coyote you and other folk out in the country get to see great scenery and intersting critters.  Me, I usualy run in the evening, and at thistime of year the critters seem to be clouds of gnats to avoid (ptui!).

Yesterday, common sense kicked in, and I did a short series of intervals.

Today, despite the drizzle I ran 11 miles, starting at a downtown Chicago River trail, headed North  on the Lakefront trail to Montrose, headed inland, almost all the way home.  It was nice to run the trail with out the weekend glut of a bazillion other people on it.  More importantly, it was nice to get in a long uninterrupted run.

Next time (NOT tomorrow) I think I'll go farther.

As far as critters.  Did I see a cormorant landing near Diversey harbor?  Nah, just another crow.  I think the cormorants have headed south by now.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4,060. Oct 3, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I've been sick for the last 2 weeks so can't even rememember my last run.  Feeling better and looking forward to this evening's run.  I'll be wear testing a pair of NewBalance shoes and enjoying the cool AZ evening (finally!).

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,061. Oct 3, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I got to take advantage of one of the last nice stretches of weather around here and did a nice 4 miles outside with a friend last night.  It was the first time I've run with her and she was nice and patient with me since I know she is faster   Tonight will be a fun class then on to... who knows?  Next week DAS and I are taking a vacation with a lot of walking invovled.  I'm bringing running gear but have no organized planned runs.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• rseil Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    4,062. Oct 3, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Thanks MelodyLea. A musician perhaps? I am a pianist. Any how, good to know that my post went through and congrats on all of your runs that are posted...I am still figuring out how to get my raaces up but I am certain that it is easy. Keep running!!!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,063. Oct 3, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Legs felt better today, but it was raining and I didn't trust the legs to get me back if I went out too far, so I mixed it up with some crosstraining and stretching. Two sets of strength/core, 3/4 mi jog on TM, then 25 min. on bike, then 5 minute jog/cooldown on TM. Treadmill is still acting up, but I wasn't going to push it today anyway.

Linus.... Thanks, and advice is taken and appreciated.

Coyote.... If it is time for the tights, remember..... you don't HAVE to post photos.

NHLA.... Interesting method, but I'll give anything a try. Thank you. What pace should the 2-mile repeats be done at?

Degregorious.... A long run all to yourself in Chicago.... sounds very rare. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Oshcat.... Enjoy the vacation!! Especially the no-specific plans part!! That's always fun.

Sep 18, 2011
    4,064. Oct 3, 2012 7:51 PM (in response to jmsab23)

oshcat: sorry that I missed the fact that you have already run your HM.  WAY TO GO!  Hope you don't have the same let downs I have been having.  Enjoy your time off and relax.  What is your next race or goal?

coyote:  Next HM is the Runner's World HM (first one ever) in Bethlehem, PA.  I am going back to see family in Philly and visit Bethlehem where I went to college at Lehigh U.  Course is fairly hilly but at sea level.  Hoping to break the 2 hour barrier and then some, but need to manage my early race "pace demons".

snerb: great pic...thanks for sharing.  Miss those views that I grew up with.

nhla: I AM back on the horse!

got home late last night, really early morning, after trip to East Coast so no morning run. Went out instead at 5:30 tonight as the winds were picking up and temps were dropping.  Didn't have a plan so just mixed it up with race pace and slow running over 5 miles.  Was near dark when I got back to neighborhood, but no coyotes tonight!  Too bad as I was looking forward to scaring the daylights out them again!

Cold front blowing in, so will need the winter gear in morning at 30 degrees.

Run strong, have no regrets, and be fearless!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...