Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59444 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Previous Next
  • Sheesha34 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Oct 4, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to Mamafreedak)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

OKay is this chart you did something you inserted yourself, or is there a way for me to do that too?  I'm new on active.com

Alicia

C25K:

Week 1: Complete 9/25/12
    Week 5:
    Week 2: Complete 10/1/12
    Week 6:
    Week 3: Complete 10/8/12
    Week 7:
    Week 4:
    Week 8:

First 5K: November 3

No matter how slow I go, I'm still lapping everybody on the couch!

• greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    61. Oct 4, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to Sheesha34)
    Sep 3, 2012
    62. Oct 4, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to greenybeany)

OMG!! I am so excited to have found this group....you guys are hilarious!  So I'm a 33 year old stay at home mom from Texas. I have a 4 year old son and 4 month old daughter.  I am very overweight!!  Like I'm 5'7" and weigh 231!  I gained 55 lbs with my son and another 25 with my daughter!!!  Basically my husband who used to be a professional athlete is 6'3" and has always been buff and weighed 230...WHAT?  He has gotten a little "fluffy" too so I know he doesn't weigh this much still, but the fact that I've reached this number makes me ill!  I've pretty much been a different person since my son was born I know mainly because I've been so unhappy with myself.  This weekend is my 15 year class reunion and I'm not going because I'm too fat   I know it's vain, but I went to a very small school and I can't bear to see everyone and know they think I look terrible.  I joined Weight Watchers too (online) and am really liking it.  The WW app and WW scanner app are awesome!  I've lost 7 lbs. in two weeks.  I've finally decided after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting that I have to take it slow....baby steps.  When I feel pressure to get it off quick, I always fail.  Plus, WW is set up to let you have your "treats" or bad days because you get the allowance of extra points every week....not to mention you get extra points if you are exercising (which is where the c25k comes in).

So I started c25k Sept 22 and last night did w3d1 and didn't have to call the ambulance!  yippee!  This may sound silly to some of you but something that is really keeping me motivated too is Facebook.  At the end of my workout (I use the Run 5K app on my iphone) it gives me the option to post my run on facebook or twitter.  Everytime I've posted this at the end, several of my friends and family are responding and cheering me on.  I must admit that this is very motivating!  There is one friend of mine that has lost A TON of weight from running and I always like seeing her "like" my running post...it's inspiring.  All those "runners" had to start somewhere just like we did!

I have signed up for my first 5K....the Gritty Goddess November 3rd.  Think we have to run thru mud and all that fun stuff. 

Okay, so some of you have a little yellow star under your name, what does that mean and how do I get one?

What about nutrition?  How are you all staying fueled? Listen to me, "fueled" like I'm a personal trainer or something LOL  I just don't understand why some days hurt more than others....can't help but wonder if I'm not eating the right foods on those days.  Of course it can't be the fact that I have a 4 month old that didn't get the memo that she is supposed to sleep all night!

Well I'm really excited about this group and sharing this journey with you all!  It's so crazy how this program is hard enough that you sometimes don't know if you can finish, but you can and you're so proud and feel like you got a really good workout in.....yet it's not so hard that you don't want to do it the next time.  I've never been a runner either, but find myself looking forward to running eventhough it hurts. ??? What's up with that?  I'm probably just vain and like bragging about it on Facebook LOL! 

I promise all my posts wont be this long..I just had a couple weeks to catch up on

"Keep on Keeping On"

Alicia

C25K:

Week 5:
    Week 6:
    Week 7:
    Week 4:
    Week 8:

Sep 3, 2012
    63. Oct 4, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to Mamafreedak)

Oh and Amanda, I love your chart, so I copied it...hope you dont mind girl!

Alicia

C25K:

Week 5:
    Week 6:
    Week 7:
    Week 4:
    Week 8:

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    64. Oct 4, 2012 9:14 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I would love to join your thread. I am a 29 year old mother of two. My daughter is 9 and my son is 10 months old. I just started the C25K program this week. I am going to be on W1D3 tomorrow. I want to run so bad! My niece is a runner and I would love to be fit and able to run with her. She runs a 6.5 minute mile, I am aiming for an 11 minute mile. Lol I am trying to be realistic. Right now I am dying after 60 seconds of running!

I could really use some moral support... I always do better when I have someone to be accountable to. I totally agree with the person who said that posting on Facebook helps! I started walking on Aug 31. I bought some Nikes so I could use the Nike+ app. It posts your runs(walks) on FB for everyone to see. It really made me push myself. However, seeing all those people running at the park where I walk really gave me the running bug. I want it so bad! I forgot to mention that I am 5'6" now weigh 193 lbs. I weighed 209 lbs when I started. I want, scratch that, I am going to lose another 38 lbs. I am worried about injuries because I am so overweight. Any advice?

• shellyruns5 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    65. Oct 5, 2012 12:37 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Hi Nicolette78,  You can do it!!!  I just joined Active.com, too, and I'm on my 5th week of C25K. I am one of the slowest runners out there, but I complete the assigned runs. Listen, when they tell you to go slow, do it. Run your own race and don't worry about any one else. I'm a curvy girl, but in good health. Get some good shoes, good sports bra, make sure to warm-up/cool down as suggested with your program, stay hydrated and you'll be fine. Our running days are Tues & Thurs with the group and an individual run over the weekend.  Just wanted to send you some encouragement.  Peace & blessings...

Oct 2, 2012
    66. Oct 5, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

No, that's next week. I fear W6!  I'm trying not to think about it.  This week we ran a total of 16 minutes, well, actually for me it was more like 40 minutes!  But I didn't stop.  We have a horrible gravel track at work, so I ran in the grass. It slowed me down even more, but I don't care. My feet/ankles are happy. 

Oct 2, 2012
    67. Oct 5, 2012 12:49 PM (in response to greenybeany)

Hey there!  Thanks for the info.  I went to a running store to get fitted, so my shoes are fine.  It looks like the horrible gravel track was the culprit. I started running in the grass edge of the track and purchasd gel insoles that someone here suggested. SO much better!  I was able to run this week with no problem. Incidentally, when I run on the treadmill or a regular outside track, I have no problems.

Oct 2, 2012
    68. Oct 5, 2012 12:54 PM (in response to almightyD)

LOL!  I work with this runner who just completed the Akron Marathon which is like 26 miles, but that did not stop me from bragging about my 1-1/2 mile run!  Be proud of you!  This is hard work.  And hey, every runner had to start somewhere.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    69. Oct 6, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Just completed my 4th run of week 3. Starting to feel it in my knees( stupid extra pounds i have to carry) . On to week 4 on mon.  Anyone using  the C25K app by run double on thier phone? and are you having trouble with it?  Today it skipped one walk after my first 3min run or i did.   Made it through but at a really slow pace.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    70. Oct 6, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to Nicolette78)

Nicholette -   I started my run in sept and want to lose about 100lbs.  Here is the advise I was given from my PT about being overweight and running:

1  get fitted for a really good pair of shoes!

2 compression capris or pants and a good jog bra make running more comfortable

3 do you first run of each new week at and easier pace then pick it up on the next two

4 go to a PT or to a really good running store and have someone check your running for proper technique to prevent   

injury

5  don't judge your pace by anyone else.

6  if you are having muscle cramps or sorness a good rehydrating drink or protien drink after your run.  Ask at your local running store for ideas.

And from my Dr -  Start your day with 20 to 30 g of protien to jump start your matabolism and keep you blood sugars even.

Keep moving !!!   You can do it!  I'm moving to week4 and still run at a 15 pace but i'm completing all the runs, so it's all good.  :-)

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    71. Oct 6, 2012 8:22 PM (in response to shellyruns5)

Thanks Shelly and AlmightyD! I appreciate the advice.

Wow 20-30g of protein seems like a lot. I run in the morning so I usually don't eat much before. Do you think a protein shake would suffice? I also heard that drinking a chocolate milk (i drink almond milk instead of dairy) after a workout is a great way to "refuel" (lol) have any of you heard that?

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    72. Oct 7, 2012 2:41 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Am I the only guy on here?  I am currently with the DOD deployed in Afghanistan.  I won't embarrass myself by listing any specifics...let's just say I could stand to lose quite a bit.  One of the few good things about being over hee is that there isn't a whole lot to do so I have plenty of time to work on going to the gym and running.

I actually started C25K in July but sprained my ankle pretty badly and then had a trip home for R&R that have kind of hampered my schedule.  When I got back from R&R I started up again where I had left off which was W3 so I figured this group was the closest to where I am.

This morning was W4D1 which I had been dreading, but I finished the whole thing.  The first half wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be but that last 5 minute run almost got me.  I use the Podcast to keep track of when to switch but I also use my stopwatch on the longer runs to cheat a little bit and see where I am in my run.  I got to a point on that last run and thought I couldn't go anymore, but when I looked at my watch I saw I was at 3:30.  Figured I only had 1 1/2 minutes left so I may as well gut it out to the end and I finished.  One thing I need to remember for next time is to dress for the end of my runs and not the beginning.  We're at about 5,000ft so it is getting to be pretty chilly in the mornings so I threw on my fleece jacket.  By the time I was done I was carrying my fleece and sweating like crazy.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    73. Oct 7, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to shellyruns5)

shelly- the akron marathon runs past my front door. It is not a race that I aspire to as it is almost all pavement-------- I did the Towpath  half marathon a few years ago and hope to do a Full towpath marathon- but one day at a time !!!!

I am redoing C25K- I did it a few years ago and ran fairly steadily untill about January of this year when  3 months of kidney stonmes/urology issues sidelined me.

Currently I am on w5d2 and no problems to speak of.

someone else asked if it ever gets easier????- In my opinion it never really gets easier- Eventually you can run 3 miles ,no problem and you WILL wonder what the fuss was about- but at that point you will have pushed your self to where your week end long run is 5-6 miles!!!- so 3 miles is no big deal to you

some advice?

if you are having difficulties, just SLOW DOWN-especially when attempting a new  distance-slow down.- running slower will cure almost all difficulties and  you will be amazed how much further you can eventualloy run if you slow down just a bit.

some one else asked about training plans beyond c25k?- there are plenty out there--------HalHigdon has some good ones- but there are plenty of other ones as well.

Get comfy at the 5k distance-then build to a 10k and then once at the 10 k a half marathon is a real possibility

BTW------ doing the C25K with my 4 year old Lab who is loving it. I have a new retriever pup coming in  January but it will be a couple years before that one is ready to run distance as well,

Best wishes all,

stephen

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    74. Oct 7, 2012 10:32 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I just finished W4D1.  This one was a toughie.  I am following the distance option of C25K, which means that I had to run 1/2 mile twice (plus two 1/4 mile runs.)  It took me almost 7 minutes of running (well, slow plodding, actually) to finish my last 1/2 mile run.  I was quite proud of myself, though, especially considering that I ran twice as far as I was running in week 3.   

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...