Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577395 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 270 271 272 273 274 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,065. Oct 4, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

7,2 miles 60 min. Night run. Saw a racoon family.

Jimsab: I took an average of three very hard 8k times + one min per mile. This gives me a pace that accounts for the hills.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,066. Oct 4, 2012 5:30 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linus - do I know early pace demons! My PR in a 5K was at a charity race; I got there late and started behind a hundred enthusiastic eight year olds I had to slowly jog around. That killed the demon. Might try a hard warmup w some 200 repeats, starting at the back of the pack, and breathing through your nose only for the first mile. All those things have worked for me. YMMV.

4.5 miles S L O W this morning. Was 39 degrees, I'm glad I wore tights and a vest, as the plan was just to move today. Pace was about 60 seconds slower than long run pace. Took me 2 miles to stop shivering, but I need to train for cold weather sometime.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,067. Oct 4, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

easy 5.3 miles this dark, frigid morning...but no coyotes!

Regarding my race "pace demons", I know that I need to start "slow" but having not done that correctly on first 2 HM's, I am somewhat perplexed at how slow I should go.  First HM was finished at 2:10:54, or 10:00 pace.  Didn't run a great race, and even had to stop and stretch at mile 12 to be able to finish.  Was happy enough for my first.

Two weeks ago, on another relatively flat Denver course (mile high altitude), finished in 2:00:49, or 9:13 pace.  Went out too fast, again, had to take walk breaks in middle of race, but was able to run hard for last 2.5 miles.  Again, I was happy with the result but really felt like I could have done better with better overall pacing.

So next HM in 2.5 weeks is at sea level but hillier with over 600 feet of total elevation gain (see link to course map and profile)   http://rw.runnersworld.com/rwhalf/.  What you will see on the profile is that there are a number of pretty good hills in the first half of the race, but it is mostly downhill after mile 7.

I feel strongly that while the hills will be tough, running at sea level will more than offset that.  And the most important goal is to break 2 hours, but based on my training this year, I think I could do much better than that, maybe even as low as 1:55:00.

Given that I am still new to all this racing stuff, I would very much welcome any feedback/advice/suggestion you may all have on overall race strategy and specific pace targets to start and finish the race.

Thanks for taking a look at this, and I look forward to your input.

Run strong and fearless!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,068. Oct 4, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Hey guys, it's been a while. I've been enjoying taper mode. Heading out for Chicago tomorrow afternoon. Pretty excited, but still anxious. I get nervous when I think about it. Trying to keep myself calm. Looks like we're going to have a pretty chilly start to the race, with the high of the day only being 53 and the low, 37. I'm going to have to rethink my race day outfit. Thank you all so much for all the support and encouragement over these months of training. I feel ready, but of course there's still the anxiety that comes before the big race.

Good luck to WebPro in Chicago and to everyone else running/racing this weekend. Look forward to bringing you my report and reading yours.

Run happy, healthy and strong.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,069. Oct 4, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Yay. I tried a "long" run today, even though it was raining again. This 11.4-mile loop includes two long, gradual inclines of about 1/2 mi. each, and three or four smaller hills on the return home. At about mile 6 I felt my quads start aching again, so I looked at my watch and saw my pace was too fast, and I slowed down. That helped. Then, around mile 8 I walked just a little to take a few sips of water on the second long hill. My quads hadn't completely quieted down, but I kept going. I stopped to walk a little again around mile 10 on a hill, and once more about mile 11 on the next-to-last hill. Minimal walking. I finished in 1:35:31, which I'm very happy about in the rain and with the hills. No matter how many times I tell myself to slow down on these runs, though, I seem to find myself running at about 10k pace or better most of the time. Which leads me to..........

Linus and Coyote..... Pacing isn't my forte, either, as I've noted. I like Linus's idea, though, of starting races behind a bunch of (presumably) slower runners to make sure of a slower start. On my solo runs, though, I'm clueless.

NHLA.... Thanks again. I was thinking of what you said about running through it while I was dealing with my legs again today. That in itself helped.   I'm going to measure out some distances on some of my routes -- one mile AND two miles, and try your idea. I have an idea where some of the odd distances are (certain turnarounds and intersections), but they aren't perfect mile/2 mile marks.

NRDGirl..... I'm 99.8934% positive you are more than ready, and I bet you have a few outfits you can pick from for the cold, too. Now, all that's left is to go and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

Found out about a local 5k night race today on Oct. 27th -- "Night of the Running Dead," with an 8 p.m. start in the downtown area.  Normally-clothed runners go out 2 minutes ahead of the runners who are dressed like Zombies. Then the Running Dead (Zombies) are released to try to catch any runners they can. Sounds like fun.

Columbus Day weekend is here -- when we honor the guy who had to go prove the world isn't flat. What was so bad about things being FLAT???

Enjoy it, runners.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,070. Oct 4, 2012 3:06 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

NRDgirl Yep, it's getting cooler.  OK, colder.  I did a short run this afternoon while the sun still shown, but by 3pb CST the big grey clouds from the north and west came in.

Good luck in the Marathon this Sunday.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    4,071. Oct 4, 2012 3:10 PM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA Sigh.  I never see any intersting critters execpt dogs on leashes.  (Why is it the SMALL ones who bark & lunge at you?)

And bugs. 

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,072. Oct 4, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to degregorius)

I ran a sweet 4 miles with a few good hills this morning. Very foggy! I brought my "bear bells", dressed in bright colors and wore reflective arm bands. I felt strong and energized! Next run is 13+ miles on Sunday. Then a big taper and my first half marathon Oct. 14th!

jmsab23 Yes, you can! Re: "You go, girl!! (Can a guy say that, or is that a girl-to-girl thing?)" Thanks. That sounds like a super strong 11 mile training run. Nice!

Old Coyote Thanks, dude! Love that chill.

NHLA That is a LOT of critters! I'm still thinking about that big bear I saw on my favorite running road. lol Kept a keen eye out this morning.

Snerb Thank you! "Felt strong, energetic and free" <~ Sweet! Beautiful pics!!

degregorius Lovely long relaxing run, nice!

Julie Ann Hackett Glad your are feeling better!!

OshCat Enjoy the apre' half marathon glow.

rseil I'm an artist. ~> http://www.miniatureanimalart.com/

linuscatch No fighting with Coyotes, now.

NRDgirl Tomorrow afternoon!?! Whoohoo. The very, very best of luck on your marathon. I'm so proud of you.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    4,073. Oct 4, 2012 11:02 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6,66 miles 49 min,

jmsab don't worry about going too fast, You will find your paces,

In a race start in the front.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,074. Oct 5, 2012 6:04 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Melody - I'm reminded of this whenever I hear about someone wearing 'bear bells'.  Please find the intended humor.

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the outdoors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces.  Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.  Grizzly bear scat has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Did a short 3.3 miles yesterday evening in 28 minutes.  Very windy here and the weather is changing for the worse.  It won't be long and I'll have to get out the cool weather running gear; tights, jacket, socks, hat, gloves, etc....

Tomorrow morning (Saturday) is the Wrut-N-Run.  It's supposed to be in the low 30's tomorrow morning, so I'll struggle with what to wear again...like I always to this time of year.  I'm nursing a bit of a head cold.  It's not too bad yet and as long as it stays out of my chest I'm planning on running it still.

Cheers All!!!  Run Strong!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,075. Oct 5, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to Snerb)

Nice numbers, NHLA!

Snerb...LMAO! Very funny. Thanks and good luck tomorrow!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    4,076. Oct 5, 2012 4:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 56 min Champion Hills. It is so nice.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,077. Oct 5, 2012 6:07 PM (in response to Snerb)

Thanks guys for your concern about all my setbacks. It worries me but I'm more afraid of stopping, I guess. So, the day after the trail run, guess who had to spend 20 min talking herself out of going back to the course and running the last half again? My default way to deal with fear is to tackle it to whittle away at whatever it is that scares me until it's manageable. How's that for a rationalization?

Great races to NrdGrl and Snerb and anyone else who is running this weekend!!! You guys are ready!! You are both mighty athletes ready to conquer those courses!! Have fun!!!

OldCoyote, you are such a tenacious powerhouse, running in the cold and dark every morning. 32-34. Good grief!! What's with the dark? Have a touch of vampire? Thanks for your concern. Unfortunately, the picture of me resting only exists in my mind after a long run.

JMSab, there's nothing wrong with flat in my book!! And all this discussion about pace demons. A couple of seasoned runners on another thread here (50 and over...) tried running with heart rate monitors to strengthen their paces. At first they complained about how much they had to slow down to correctly keep with the training. Then the carping stopped. About three months later they were raving about how much better their race results were this spring and one of them has run well over 10 marathons. I coached beginners for eight weeks, twice a week (missed a week) and those were short slow runs on recovery days. I notice I've became stronger on hills from this so there may be something to training at a slower pace to build strength (as part of your training).

Article on heart rate training: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1039-3-2X5-3,00.html

Mel, those are some tough hill runs you've been having! You are more than ready! This race will be yours to savor triumphantly. Enjoy the taper and we'll be here for you if you get jitters. NO MORE BEARS!!

Linuscatch, I think the mood swings that come from running and lack of running hit some folks harder than others. I know about post-race blahs; it sounds like we may share some of the same neurons. Glad you are back in the running!! It usually takes me two or three tries, also. I've done it often enough now that I just expect the blahs and get out there to get it over with. Those first *bad* runs are probably part of the process. Loved your coyote story, particularly the part about *getting big*!! What is up with these animals? There are becoming a scourge here in Cincy area. Folks are losing their pets to them and finding deer maimed by them. Did we eliminate their natural enemy? Maybe I should work on some recipes and start carrying my pepper spray.

NHLA - "Don't worry about going fast" says who? You are sooo fast. How do I get that fast? This week I'm starting to diet. Figuring 10 less pounds will help. Will speed work work?

"Took down the birdfeeder. Cats are sad." Ahhhahhahaha! Your info about the slump between 8-10 miles makes so much sense.  From 8-9 of the last race I really struggled with a hill and after than started getting really depressing thoughts and feelings, which whether or not true, were a vivid sign that I was overtired. Was able to try diversions as soon as I identified the problem. Music, gel, water. Nothing solved the problem but looking for a solution kept my mind busy and ultimately I spent the last two miles just focused on left, right, left, right, root, root, root, bigger root, another gd down and up and up and root, root, root.

Snerb, Ya I finished and I don't care if my time was three times that of the rest of you. It was hard and I did it! So, thank you!! Nice pic and glad you're enjoying your runs. This is such great weather after the heat. Unfortunately, we still have humidity. Starting to worry it will always be here.  Loved your grizzly story!!

Degregorious, sounds like a great 11 miles! I envy you being able to run so far without having to navigate street crossings.

Had a quiet week. Tuesday did 3 mi of speed work with a mile cool down. Thursday ran the hilly part of the Flying Pig that defeated me this spring. This was my consolation prize for not going back and running the second half of the trail race. When I say "run" I mean run/walk 1:1 because I like to breathe, too. The incline is a steady rise of 280 ft over 2.3 miles (which for me covered more than 30 min.) That can get very tedious but I was able to keep my pace for all but the last five minutes and covered the whole hill, up and down. Felt good. Well, it felt like crap but on some level it felt good to know that I've built strength since May, regardless of how much I hurt and feel stifled. Tomorrow am doing a Color Run with a young lady who is a daughter of a friend and then flying to Philly to check on DD who has been suffering life poorly lately. It will feel good to see and hug her!

Run fearless and strong! Enjoy!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,078. Oct 5, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

NRDgirl  I arrived in the Windy City yesterday afternoon. NOW I know why they call it the Windy City. To overcome my wimpy FL boy outlook on cold weather. I decided to go out and run an easy 4 miles around grant park. guess what it's not as bad as you think. I wore short sleeve shirt, arm Warner's , shorts, calf sleeves, gloves, and a skull cap. Before the first mile was over I forgot about the cold REALLY. i'm ready and i know you are to.Don't worry about anything. your going to rock this city.

I needed to adjust a little since my taper began. I had a bad joint in my toe appear out of nowhere. I haven't run a mile in 2 weeks.So now my main goal is to trust my training and be one  of the 30,000 out of a field of 45,000 who finish. The expo is awesome. Enjoy your run looking forward to hearing your results.

Good luck to everyone else running this weekend.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,079. Oct 5, 2012 7:36 PM (in response to mkayc)

I haven't posted since Sunday and look how many posts to read!  Coyotes, bears, and raccoons oh my!

Tuesday a nice 4 miler, Thursday was was a super strong 4.2 miler.  Saw a pack of wild turkeys wandering around. This morning was so foggy and so dark at 5:30 am.  Crossing the street I miscalculated where I was - thought I was at the curb cut - not so lucky I was at the curb, didn't lift my feet up high enough, and landed on my hands then on my right side.  Small cut on left hand, bigger  cut near my right knee  about half dollar sized but  - no serious damage.  Continued on my run but shortened my route to stick to the most well  lit roads and went real slow whenever visibility was dimished.  Only 3 miles today.  Did I mention  I'm also nursing a stuffy nose?  yay.

Tomorrow and Sunday is the S.O.A.R. Camporee on the Charles River with my son's Scout troop (and 5000+ other Scouts!)  and then I've got theTufts 10K for Women on Monday.  I am way overbooked and am going to need a weekend to recuperate from my weekend.

Good luck to all racing this weekend.  NRDGirl - you are so ready  - enjoy Chicago!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...