Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

633 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 12:03 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT
cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
Aug 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2012 12:22 PM

Counting the days....sesamoid fracture

On the last long run of my 2nd marathon training cycle, at mile 12 of a 22 miler, I tripped and landed very hard on my right foot.....well that did it.  Sesamoid fracture.  Since then I'm totally non weight bearing, in a cast, crutches, the whole nine yards.  Determined as I am to return to running healthy in the future, I'm thinking towards a good plan to make a comeback (hey its better than the first 10 days of crying and mopping around).  Any suggestions on the best way to return?  I'm not really expecting to be back to any kind of real training until January.  I scheduled 2 half marathons for the spring and deferred my marathon to fall 2013.  2013 will pretty much be a repeat of 2012 without the injury I hope. 

Thanks for your help. 

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 6, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to cyndi t)
    Counting the days....sesamoid fracture

You'll probably get more help on this one, but my general advice is to trust the rehab the same way you trust your training. Don't give up and don't push too hard too soon. Expect this to take a while, as many have reported. Avoid surgery, since it is a crap shoot for active persons like yourself. Once your brain tunes in to a particular pain source, it can become hypersensitive to pain in the area. Taking your rehab a day at a time is part of the process of relearning how to use the injured area, and confidence building.

Beyond that, there are probably more exercises down the line that can be tweaked to strengthen the tissues around your phalangeal joint in preparation for a return to running. Plantarflexion of the toes may be an example, but this down time is also an opportunity to examine the biomechanics of your foot for any condition that might predispose you to sesamoid injury. Here's an interesting and informative article on the subject, and another.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...