Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

629 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 9:37 AM by Snoopy011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Wish 100 Bicycle Rally Reviews

Share your experiences with the Wish 100 Bicycle Rally below Back to event details page.

• Keiko F Rookie 2 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    1. Oct 6, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Wish 100 Bicycle Rally Reviews

Because it moved to McKinney and the city took over, things felt very different from previous years.  The route is similar to Collin County and I was surprised with few traffic.  Roads can be more comfortable, but hey there is not much the organizer can do about that.  I rode 60 miles and I think I was one of the last rider...  Felt like an advanced racers ride than previous friendly rides.  Officers were everywhere and signage was decent, until...  the very end, people directing traffic must have left before noon.  There was nobody when crossing University and quite a few of us, crossed Louisiana went straight ended up going wrong way.  There was no more directing to the finish line at the big parking lot.  Some of us wandered around the court house, start point, without knowing there was finish line at another location.  The biggest gripe was the band.  If they invite the same band next year, I will not support the ride.

• CAADrider Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    2. Oct 7, 2012 5:53 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall I liked the ride and may do it again next year.

What was good, - Sam @ RBM started the event off with a briefing at the courthouse steps. The start was smooth and there were great marking and people directing traffic along the route. I?m a decent speed averaging 17.1mph and did a no stop ride  (with the exception of a hard mechanical in which the police and RBM van were there in minutes. I saw other vans as well so this was a WELL supported event.

Could use improvement -  About a mile after the start there is a large crack in the street. I believe 6 riders all around me went down (endo style). Probably including that in the briefing for next year would be a good idea. Secondly I completed with my mechanical around noon and the area was sparsely populated. While I was changing I heard the music and yes sadly it was not good. Upon returning to the finish line about 45 min the event was essentially closed and I saw lost participants riding through town.

Hopefully this will be better next year but the in ride support and route markings were the highlight of the event.  

• Snoopy011 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    3. Oct 8, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to Guest )

Good event, could use more rest stop support.

The event was a good event overall, the registration process was easy, package pickup was quick and friendly, and the ride was rather scenic, with some notable exceptions below.

Needed improvements:

1) The 100K rides by the town's land fill, that was NOT very enjoyable!  It surely made you pedal faster to get by it.

2) The roads were not marked very well.  They did have good support from local fire and police to help direct traffic at intersections, but not much advanced notice some road forks

3) The rest stops were rather sparce!  The first stop (mile 16) had whole bananas and oranges, with no knife to cut them up. a few cookies as well. No ice, no cups, no hand sanitizer. Stop #2 was missing, there was no stop until 25 miles later (mile 38)!  It had the bananas and oranges cut, but the bananas left were totally squished and brown. No cookies at all. No sanatizer, but they did have paper towells at least.

To recap,

-Scenery was about an 7 out of 10

-Roads conditions about a 6.5

-Friendliness of support staff and volunteers 8

-Event Registration ease 9.5

-Rest Stops 2.0 for both frequency and resources.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...